BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

PHoebe Snow has passed away

+2
spanky
Ted E. Bear
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1PHoebe Snow has passed away Empty PHoebe Snow has passed away Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:27 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

'Poetry Man' singer Phoebe Snow dies at age 60

LOS ANGELES | Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:32pm EDT

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Phoebe Snow, the bluesy singer-songwriter known for her song "Poetry Man," died on Tuesday at age 60 of complications from a stroke she suffered last year, her manager said.

Snow released 16 albums, composed more than 100 songs and was nominated for a best new artist Grammy Award in 1975.

The New Jersey-born singer's "Poetry Man," about her infatuation with a man, was released on a self-titled 1974 album and was her first big hit. It led to her landing on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine.

Snow also had a hit song with another track, "Harpo's Blues," from the same album.

Soon after, Snow put her career on hold to care for her daughter, Valerie, who was born with a brain injury. Valerie died at age 31 in 2007, and Snow considered caring for her daughter to be her greatest accomplishment, her manager Sue Cameron said.

When Snow suffered a stroke in January 2010, she had just finished recording a collection of songs and was rehearsing with her band in anticipation of performing weekly shows at a winery in New York, according to her management firm.

But she never emerged from a coma after the stroke.

"Our treasured icon heroically fought for almost a year-and-a-half to come back, enduring bouts of blood clots, pneumonia and congestive heart failure ... until her body finally could take it no more," Cameron said in a statement.

Over the years, Snow performed with the likes of Paul Simon, Billy Joel, Chaka Khan and Jackson Browne.

Former U.S. President Bill Clinton also was a fan, and Snow performed several times for him, including at private family retreats at Camp David. Snow could sing in a variety of styles, from R&B to opera.

Snow is survived by her sister, Julie Laub, her uncle Bob Laub and several cousins. A memorial concert is expected to be announced shortly.

She had a great voice. RIP PHOEBE !

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

2PHoebe Snow has passed away Empty Re: PHoebe Snow has passed away Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:45 pm

spanky

spanky

Wow I really liked her, thanks Ted.

3PHoebe Snow has passed away Empty Re: PHoebe Snow has passed away Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:19 pm

boomer

One of my all time favorites. Phoebe will always live in my mind and heart, she was a pro. Sad

4PHoebe Snow has passed away Empty Re: PHoebe Snow has passed away Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:54 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Phoebe's "Poetry man" represents a memorable care free time in my life.
It will always have a special place in my heart and so will she.

Rest peacefully, P.S. queen

5PHoebe Snow has passed away Empty Re: PHoebe Snow has passed away Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:18 am

woofus

woofus

http://www.myspace.com/jazzstream23

6PHoebe Snow has passed away Empty Re: PHoebe Snow has passed away Wed May 11, 2011 12:45 am

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

I am heartbroken. She was
such a favorite. Second Childhood
will be forever in my heart.

RIP, Phoebe.

Crying or Very sad

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum: