BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Meytal Cohen - Parabola by Tool - Drum Cover

+5
D. Slam
Igor
Ted E. Bear
spanky
Admin (Pete)
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

spanky

spanky

This young girl is a very, very good rock drummer. She has more videos on her website below
http://www.meytalcohen.com/index.html

Meytal Cohen - Parabola by Tool - Drum Cover

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

She did just fine and
has a great smile.

cheers

Regards,

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

spanky

spanky

Meytal Cohen is a hard-hitting versatile drummer based in the Los Angeles area. Born and raised in Ramat-Gan, Israel, Meytal is the youngest in a large family of seven. Meytal graduated from the prestigious Blich High School in Ramat-Gan as a theater major. At the age of 18, Meytal started playing drums and found her passion.

After being released from duty after serving two years in the Israel Defense Force, Meytal relocated to LA and enrolled in the Los Angeles Music Academy to pursue her drumming career. She was professionally trained in drums and percussion by world-class musicians such as: Joe Porcaro, Ralph Humphrey, Michael Shapiro, Aaron Zerfaty, Randy Cook and Joey Heredia. Her fusion of Rock, Funk, Jazz, and Afro-Cuban contribute to her unique style.

Meytal has collaborated, recorded, and performed in tours in the U.S., Australia, South America and Europe with some of the biggest names in the Hollywood music industry: N.E.R.D, Chromeo, Nelly Furtado, Metaphor and more.

Meytal's drumming has been featured on numerous TV shows and films, including: "Jimmy Kimmel Live Show", "The Kerrianne Kennerly Show" (Australia), "The Heartbreak Kid" (Ben Stiller) and more.

Currently, Meytal invests a great deal of time and efforts into her online videos project "Meytal", a project that has been getting massive worldwide exposure and support, and has been viewed by millions of fans and industry professionals all over the world, including Vinnie Paul (Pantera), Shavo Odadjian (System Of A Down), Jonas Akerlund (Music Video Director - Madonna, Beyonce, Lady Gaga and more) to name a few.

Meytal is an official endorsee of Vic Firth, DC California Drum, Soultone Cymbals and Behringer Microphones.

Igor

Igor

oh,not her again.....

spanky

spanky

Igor wrote:oh,not her again.....
Yup, she is from your region Very Happy

Igor

Igor

Yep,exactly. Instead of talking about Oz Noy or Avishai Cohen everybody seem to be proud of this play along wannabe drummer

spanky

spanky

Igor wrote:Yep,exactly. Instead of talking about Oz Noy or Avishai Cohen everybody seem to be proud of this play along wannabe drummer
This girl is the real deal, and she has been recognized as such. Why are you on this girls case like that ? The truth is this girl can play, and she plays extremely well, I checked out around 10 of her videos and there is no doubt, that this girl can play. And I have become a fan of hers.
Meytal Cohen - Parabola by Tool - Drum Cover  21104310

D. Slam

D. Slam

Spanky and I usually have a tendency to bump heads on stuff like this....
But, Igor, what's the problem?! I thought she did an excellent job! She
didn't come in overwhelming the music by trying to showcase herself with
a truck load of licks and chops but she made it all work and she did it with
confidence, style and very good taste... Give credit where it's due, man.

I like the way she sets her cymbals up too... Very practical and sensible.

Thanks for posting these, Spanky. Very enjoyable.

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

She's using what she has to market herself well - you've got a cute , young , female playing hard core whatever. My son listens to Avenged Sevenfold and Mike Portnoy just replaced their drummer for the rest of their recent tour.

While there's no doubt Igor, that Oz and Avisai are better musicians, they are playing less marketable music with less marketble packages than this young lady. That's why she is getting all this attention. That's usually the case in the music and also the entire entertainment business as well .

I thought she did a good job with those songs. thanks spanky !

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

D. Slam

D. Slam

Sinbad, asked a REAL qestion to the youngsters at one of his comedy shows.
He was talking about today's music and he asked them: What are you gonna
listen to when you're 50? There was a time when real talent mattered, reason
being was that's all there was. So talent and marketability went hand and hand.

Now-a-days, they CALL it talent only if you're deemed marketable. The absolute
bottom line is the almighty $.... And it's to be made quickly so the developmental,
nurturing process of fine tuning talent, no one has time for anymore. This is right
across the board, even to what Spanky was talking about concerning finding dedicated
players.

It's way too easy these days for anyone to access the ability to "get theirs". Got a
computer and a sequencer?! You're good to go.

Aparently they see this young lady as a marketable commodity. But I'm good with that,
at least she can legitimately play. I wish her all the best.

Igor

Igor

you guys just got me wrong! i have nothing against this girl :-) especially since she's our own israeli one!!! but what i meant is not that she can't play (which is obviously not true) but the amount of attention she receives. after all you can find thousands musicians on Youtube doing covers on a very professional level. she's a great example of a successful self promotion but all i say is that she's not that special which would make me go "Wow!!!" What about some personality in her playing? Some style? I'd like to see her doing some original stuff and not copying others if she's claiming to be ready for the real thing.

Igor

Igor

D. Slam

D. Slam

Well there you go, Igor... Again, there is something about her
that seems attractively marketable. THAT'S why she gets so
much attention. At least she can play but so can a lot of other
artists. But industrially speaking, if the backers don't see $$$,
What's it matter? Thats the shame of it all.

Igor

Igor

Let me ask you one question: suppose your band (not a Tool cover band Laughing ) needs a drummer, so would she be your choice if you had to decide by only watching her covering others? You know, i was watching these Dream Theater's clips about their search for a new drummer and some heavy pros auditioned for the job. All of them did their homework well and went thru the known tracks smoothly. But the real exam was when they were thrown into something less expected, like jamming with the band a riff written in some tricky meter.
I'm not sure Meital can pass such exam. All she's doing (and is doing it pretty well) is playing those parts note by note as on the record without adding her individuality and style.
We all learn from others and try to make their ideas work for ourselves. Not just copy but develop and grow. When i bought Boomer's Conundrum play along, that's exactly what he wrote in his comments and instructions : come up with your own ideas, don't try to just copy.

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

While I would not hire her based on her doing cover music, I certainly would call her in for an audition based on her playing ability demonstrated in the videos AND on her visual appeal factor.

While musicianship is of great importance [ although not always depending on the style you're playing ] , the visual appeal of a band is of equally great importance.

Any band would consider hiring an attractive person, be they male or female, in order to make the product more appealling and to try and attract a bigger audience.

Just look at how many male-dominated bands have added females for just such a purpose . Prince has always had females as singers like Appolonia or Sheila Easton and had Sheila E. on drums. Michael Jackson had Jennifer Batton on guitar . More recently, Jeff Back had Tal Wilkenfeld on bass and now Rhonda Smith . And even Boomer now has Camelia Ben Naceur on keys.

Yes, they all can play. but yes, they are also visually appealing !

peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

Igor

Igor

I would hire Esperanza Spalding tongue

D. Slam

D. Slam

While I would not hire her based on her doing cover music, I certainly would call her in for an audition based on her playing ability demonstrated in the videos.

Perfect point, Ted... That's exactly how I feel. She plays well enough to deserve a chance.... Absolutely!

spanky

spanky

I watched some of her other videos from her website, and what I like about her is, that she does not over play and she is good at doing exactly what the other drummers have done on the records. She would be a great drummer for a band. And man does she have a great smile I can't stop looking at her.

D. Slam

D. Slam

Visual appeal helps, but first and foremost it's important that you can play.

Here's what I like about what this young lady does:

She is very aware of her musical surroundings and she plays as such.
I think playing in this manner is a lot harder than blowing chops over
everything. Blending WITH your peers is a key factor in keeping your
phone ringing.

But I must say that what Igor says raises some legitimate concerns with
me. I worked with a band not too long ago where some of the players
learned the solos to some cover songs note for note. While impressive to
a degree it made me wonder about these individual's musical individuality.

Assuming that she is playing the drum parts beat for beat, I would like to hear
what SHE brings to the table as a player.

Last edited by D. Slam on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total

kenny

kenny

visual appeal? I'll still take caNNONBALL ADDERLY OVER KENNY G. I'll take joanne brackeen before i would even consider lady gaga. Visual appeal is ridiculous and has nothing to do with anything musical. Who's side are you guys on?

She seems to be making a living for herself good for her. i think this girl can obviously play the drums. i would love to hear her play something i consider musically somewhat listenable. if afro cuban is part of what she does then let's see it. That rock stuff is monkey see monkey do. I see nothing of much difficulty in any of those tunes other than memorization. i can't stand that kind of drumming but she can do it well. it all sounds very plodding and doesn't swing or move me in any way, the way zeppelin or hendrix did.
She is obviously marketing herself but i would really like to hear this young woman get funky and quit playing that stodgy hard rock because it bites!!

http://www.balkanmusic.org

Racman

Racman

And I have become a fan of hers.
Spanky

Or...you may have simply fell in love with her Very Happy
Just a joke Spanky. I agree, she holds the song well and does the job.
Glenn

http://www.glennracoma.com

D. Slam

D. Slam

visual appeal? I'll still take caNNONBALL ADDERLY OVER KENNY G. I'll take joanne brackeen before i would even consider lady gaga. Visual appeal is ridiculous and has nothing to do with anything musical. Who's side are you guys on?

I agree with you Kenny depending on the genre of music. There are four kinds of players.
Those who desire to be great at their craft, those who desire to be famous, those who desire
a bit of both and then those who are in tune with the business realities of what they do as well
as the artistic side. Visual appeal counts in many situations. I'm trying to the get members in
my own band, the Chiefs to see that. Wonderful band of players and it's certainly not the music
that's keeping this unit from the next level... Let's look at the realities:

4 middle aged R & B players (guys at that) up on stage all hidden behind instruments so there's no
real focal point. Cats up there in tennis shoes, baseball caps and beanies... And they're talking about
trying to go corporate?! Look at what the cover bands that are making the real good money are
doing... There's like ten of em in the band, balanced races and gender, at least two beautiful girls
OUT FRONT with another 2 to 3 male singers doing a veriety of tunes... All dressed nice or at the
very least they all look like entertainers and not like they just came from the meat packing plant
straight to the gig. You're right, the visual side has nothing to do with MUSIC but in many if not
most cases it has everything to do with entertainment. It's like that rockabilly band with the flashy
drummer, to you he was a clown but to a booking agent he's gold... And guess who'g gonna get
the fat paying gigs??!!

Now we don't need ten people in the band but we ARE at a disadvantage when it comes to getting prime
work... Thus, we HAVE to do it better. It's not so much about the music being better but how we present
ourselves within it. A sad fact you can't get around.... The fact is, from a marketing viewpoint, Lady Gaga
is doing it right.... However sad, it's a reality. I think this young lady realizes and understands her assets
and uses them to her own advantage. I'm personally cool with it because she can play and she's going
after that market, more power to her! Not everyone wants to be a great musician with an empty
refridgerator.

Don't misunderstand me, I hear what you're saying loud and clear.... And you're right. But every
musical situation has it's own set of realities that maximises your gains as a player/entertainer. If
you don't care about any of these gains then fine, keep doing what you're doing. But if you do,
then it's time to sit down and do some honest to goodness soul searching.

Last edited by D. Slam on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Racman

Racman

Could it be that women's recent visibility as drummers in the mainstream is simply a well due appreciation to that contribution? And for some, there is serious labor that have come to positive fruition as a result and is well deserving of applauds respectfully (Terri Lyne Carrington).

Personally, I would think that would be a factor over appeal. Appeal, in this case sexually, would be a male's natural response that governs our assumptions of why women are hired as stocked commericial commodities? I can assure you gentlemen if there are women out there at this moment reading into this would reasonably raise debate here - that would be understandable and legitimate.

Over the past 10 or so years, women have been taken the lime light as drummers and aren't doing a too shabby of a job here. So, I think that appeal, in a 'unconscious' bias-male perception, is premature in judging and I say it's simply appreciating the woman's struggling entry in an arena that has been so male-oriented for centuries. Things are changing, female drummers are here to stay thus attitudes need to adjust.

But I gotta admit....she is very attractive

Rac I love you

D. Slam

D. Slam

Well, Rac, there's no rule that says deeming a woman attractive has to
have sexual connotations along with it. As an entertainer I think it's nice
to see a pretty girl performing on stage. It's also nice to see a band with
a handsome guy fronting it. Visual appeal counts and it works.

Who can imagine Micael Jackson singing Billy Jean while standing perfectly
still? What would it be for metal guys performing without the big gear, crazy
clothes and the hair?! Does Billy consider visual appeal in his setups whenever
possible??? Of course he does!

Let's face it, in certain genres of the music industry visual appeal is simply necessary.
female players such as Terri lynn Carrington who plays music that is geared more toward
the listener and not so much toward the visual aspect doesn't have to worry about it so
much. What this young lady is doing requires a much stronger visual element... That's
just the way it is. Though it's intent may not be sexual, some will view it as such anyway.

So what are we to do about that, or even if it IS the intent?

Last edited by D. Slam on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Racman

Racman

Okay D, but I'll use the most overused expression in our culture and that is every man (woman) is entitled to his (her) own opinion.

But I'll place my head on the chopping block here by saying this; I believe my opinion is Boomer's opinion in regards to implementing the woman on the gig.

Rac .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum