BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ludwig Atlas

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ludwig Atlas Empty Ludwig Atlas Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:13 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Tried this double pedal out today... I didn't get into too many of the details.
It incoororates. The toggle spring action that was developed first by DW
was very smooth and stealthy silent. Something I found to be amazing with
all the springs, chains and the connecting arm. I was quite impressed. I really
dug the firm beaters.

As to the quality control and durability, I can't comment but it felt awesome.
$490.00 for the double setup. Is it worth that?! I can't say, I guess time
will tell.

Ludwig Atlas 19860-18573

2Ludwig Atlas Empty Re: Ludwig Atlas Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:37 am

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Hi Don,
Funny you put up this post- I was just in a Sam Ash music store a couple of days ago and saw this double pedal set up.
I didn't try it out on a kit due to time constraints, but i did hit it a little on a practice pad display they had there.

I found it to be really smooth- especially the slave drive for the left beater.The construction was really solid as well.
I wanted to buy it on the spot, but the price is a little steep.

I was never a Ludwig pedal fan but this one may change that. I also liked the beaters. I've always liked felt beaters as opposed to the small flat ones like on an Iron Cobra and other pedals...Axis etc. There's more weight and impact for me.

The Ludwig Atlas line is definitely worth checking out for sure, I don't know what took them so long to develop up to date heavy duty hardware.

Thanks for the post, and good to see you here again- Hope all is well with you--D.L.

3Ludwig Atlas Empty Re: Ludwig Atlas Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:09 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Hey Dave!!!! How you be, bro?!

Yeah, this pedal seems pretty cool. Like you,
I wanted to buy it right there but that $490.00
was kickin me! Again, like you, I like the felt
beaters but I like the hard, compact ones like
those that are on this pedal setup.

I started out playing Ludwigs, I swore by them until
their quality control went out the window. They had
even gotten to the point where the only place you
could find any new gear from them was in the mom
& pop music stores. You know, where you'd go to
buy or rent violins, clarinets, trumpets, saxophones
and acoustic guitars for your kids to try and see if
they really want to play music Very Happy

I'm glad to see them stepping up, and not just with
the pedals. Their kits as of late have been turning
some heads... I'm happy for them.

Hey, I just ordered some Silver Fox "Fat Boy" sticks
from Jeff... Love em.

Good to hear from you, D.L. Everything's well here
and I hope it's the same for you and Tiff.

4Ludwig Atlas Empty Re: Ludwig Atlas Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:39 am

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Fatboys huh?

Wow those are beefy sticks!! I recently switched to the SF-5B wood tips, and I really like them a lot. They really make a good quality stick over there.

I got a pair of ''Thrashers'' with my last order just for workout sticks and I ended up playing them on my set only to determine It would cost me a fortune replacing cymbals if I got used to them Haha!!

D.L.

5Ludwig Atlas Empty Re: Ludwig Atlas Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:13 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

I'm using those and the 5B XT's, D.L. I've been using the XT's since
the beginning But I wanted something just a tad longer. The Fat Boys
are an eighth of an inch longer and just a little bit larger in girth but
the weight feels about the same and I tend to get more of that full
stick feeling on the drum that I like.

I just don't see how any player gets anything out of a 7A stick or 7B
for that matter. Anything less than a 5B just doesn't do it for me with
what I'm doing currently. But on the other hand, anything bigger than
a 5B is just too much stick for me.

I'm really happy with Silver Fox sticks. Thanks for turning me onto
them, Dvaid!

Incidently, you ever hear of that tv program called "How it's made"?

They did a segment on how Drumsticks are made and guess what sticks
were featured?

6Ludwig Atlas Empty Re: Ludwig Atlas Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:20 am

Asaph

Asaph

When I lived in Maine I visited the factory that makes, or made, Vic Firth maple sticks. They ultimately went solo as Kitttools, and Firth dropped them as part of their operation. Kittools went under, although the factory (which makes all kinds of wood products) is still making drum sticks and marketing them.

Kittools made a model called the Ghost 5B, made of birch. Man, I love those sticks and have used them for 15+ years now. The owner was kind enough to give me a bag of nylon tips to put on the sticks myself because it didn't come as a NT model. I'm down to my last few dozen sticks now. I think I started with 5 dozen. Thankfully I don't break sticks until they chew enough to weaken them.

The factory was cool. When I went they were making rosewood sticks for a customer who special ordered them. They had all the same operations seen in the video above. Cool place. Kittools were very well made sticks. I have gotten warped sticks from every company I have played, especially Regal Tips. Man, hockey sticks. Never used Silver Fox, but I remember when they came out and they had something called a diamond nylon tip or something like that, which promoted extra bounce on a ride. I always wanted to try those, but never did. No one sold SF sticks anywhere near me in Maine. I didn't start shopping the internet until after the millennium.

It's nice to see that at least a drummer can get American made sticks from all the manufacturers, and not everything comes from Taiwan. I have even gotten pretty decent sticks from solo guys out there selling sticks on ebay for next to nothing, which I use for practicing on pads, and when my Ghosts finally are gone, I'll use these maple sticks on my set. Getting 4 doz. sticks for $20 or $30. Can't beat that. STAGG sells some inexpensive sticks I have gotten off ebay, as well, which are good sticks. I doubt they are made in the USA, though.

http://drumsinhisheart.weebly.com

7Ludwig Atlas Empty Re: Ludwig Atlas Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:38 am

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Yeah I had seen that video a while back when it aired on T.V but thanks for posting that- it was fun to see it again-Pretty cool process and again Great sticks!
I'm glad that you are happy with them and the company is very friendly and easy to work with as you know.

I don't see any out there that are better quality.

D.L.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum