BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Damien Schmitt w/ Sep7entrion_FULL LIVE CONCERT

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

My first hearing of this drummer. Very articulated on cymbals. The entire concert is on this video. Classic fusion with some of the finest, I think, in this genre of music.

Just about 30 min on the dial there is a very interesting drum solo.

At 41 min just an incredible solo in a free form feel, yet very relevant to the overall structure of the song. It's like this guy sold his soul to the devil  Wink Damien is a very different drummer with a style of of his own. He may have been one of those Drum-your-brains-out marathon drummers but it appears he may have delivered himself from that mindset and became musical. Although I did hear him on another video just soloing of which I did not like much - that could account for his drum marathon competitiveness. However, I think he's so much better sounding in a group musical situation like we have here. cyclops

You have to hear this guy. I can respect that Smile

At 30 min = solo
At 41 min = free-form solo
At 104 min = piece with a Weather Report feel  
alien  alien  alien  alien  alien  alien

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A86.J7rwe9xUPScAWUUnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTB0MzkwOG5yBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1lIUzAwNF8x?p=alain+caron+septentrion+live+concert&tnr=21&vid=0DE3DA82B629F84414A00DE3DA82B629F84414A0&l=5738&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DUN.608031962144572959%26pid%3D15.1&sigi=11rp3tdcn&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-pDfK8OMvTc&sigr=11bq93s99&tt=b&tit=Alain+Caron+-+Se7tentrion+-+En+primeur+CONCERT+LIVE+%40+L+...&sigt=11rmdg79q&back=https%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fyhs%2Fsearch%3Fp%3Dalain%2Bcaron%2Bsep7tentrionlive%2Bconcert%26ei%3DUTF-8%26hsimp%3Dyhs-001%26hspart%3Dmozilla&sigb=13giv4g80&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

View user profile http://www.glennracoma.com
Rac,

Damien is no joke!  I've posted stuff by him here
on several occasions.  He does a lot of work with
Alain Caron, my all time favorite bass player.

Wicked drummer though I tend not to like the way
he sometimes tunes his drums.  A single pedal user
with a wicked right foot. I will definitely be checking
this clip out!

Last edited by D. Slam on Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile
Ahhh,  Rac,

I started watching the clip and realized I've already downloaded this entire
show off youtube to my computer.  Yep, some crazy stuff happening here!

Check this out, Page 1 and 2.

http://bcwtj.forumotion.com/t1322-damian-schmitt?highlight=damien+Schmitt

View user profile
Yes, this guy is incredible...totally out there. Huge amounts of energy and yet hearing him in the video I presented we see him in a very musical situation, under groove. Damien always appears to be in this constant state of eager anticipation waiting to explode with his solos. By the looks of the other musicians, it appears that they don't know what to expect from his playing. Damien has the band on heels end. You can see the difficulty of playing with a drummer like this if one is not flexible and versed in fusion.

Thanks for your sharing here.

rac alien

"Has the band on heels end"?

Sorry, can't actually agree with you there, Rac. Everyone knows
where they're at and where they're supposed to be. What I'm hearing
with Damien is he's done an interesting job of gelling gospel chops
with modern day fusion. And that I'd have to say is different in it's
own right.

View user profile
I'm not too familiar with gospel chops or maybe you're relating to what's out there these days where guys are really pouring in heavy chops on drums, in a church setting. Sounds and looks like you're familiar with Damien than I am. Did he do the church thing (gospel chops) or maybe drum marathons? I haven't any information that he did drum offs but sounds like he may have to some extent?

As far as to contemporary fusion? The video I shared sounds fairly classic in sense reminiscing more towards the mid-to late 80s' fusion - thus my interpreting that as classical fusion - almost as a statement to resurrecting of fusion music in the 21st century. Your videos presented here, I do appreciate them thank you, but again, I feel more of a musical application with Damien on my vid.

My take,
Rac

Question to D or anyone else;

Would you dare to say that Damien has an edge over Dave W's performances - not better than but respectfully seems to have a broader sense in the realm of syncopation and stick alternations?

The purpose of the vids I presented was not to compare one
to another but to simply introduce you to what I had already
posted concerning Damien. I try not to get too analytical in
regard to his presentation from one to the next or either by
comparison to another player. Damien speaks what he speaks
from the kit as well as Weckl or anyone else on that level of
play, and vise-verse.

Just different animals is all.

View user profile
His independence, his inner clock, astounding, and certainly his speed is filled with fast twitch muscles to the extreme, right there with Bruner and Coleman and anybody else out there. His single stroke left hand/ right hand shuffles around the kit are without equal that I have seen. I thought Dennis could do that fast. Sheesh. He's like watching a Sprite zip around, a dragonfly.

He's quite a character, too. He's had his own tv program in Canada, as I recall. He may still have it, I don't know. He gets into some wild stuff. Out there.

His fusion work is my favorite, though, from no name bands, to Jean Luc, to Caron ... all fascinating to watch. From my first exposure to him some years ago to today he never ceases to amaze and entertain me.

Odd (to me) that the performance remained in black and white.

View user profile http://drumsinhisheart.weebly.com
OH MY GOSH, HE"S ALIVE!!!  affraid

What up, Asaph??!!  Shocked

View user profile
I must say that I enjoyed this
a great deal.

He has command in every facet
and grooves BEFORE he cuts up.

There is real phrasing that I hear
and I love to see/hear that with
players.  He is listening to his
mates and is not interfering.

He has great dynamics and that is
STILL not too common.

I know the band-leader is VERY
happy with him.

I think he's a gem of a player and
that is the best I have ever heard
a Mapex kit sound.

Yes. He is alive and a fabulous
drum solo and exit proves it.

...and love the bass!

Thanks, Rac!!

Regards,

To the father of us, all - Billy Cobham!
View user profile http://bcwtj.forumotion.com

afro

Last edited by Admin (Pete) on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

To the father of us, all - Billy Cobham!
View user profile http://bcwtj.forumotion.com
Hey D,

Indeed, still vertical and ventilating.

Odd (to me) that the performance remained in black and white.
Asaph

Thank you Asaph for such a dynamical perception of DS. Yes,  he is truly a well schooled and progressive musician that harnesses brute energy, technique, speed, groove and finesse on a kit to a whole new level. I also believe these factors has set Damien apart from the drum off performers that are dying because they realized it doesn't work in the real world of music collaboration (getting a gig). It's like communication; it's not just about what we say but when to stop speaking and listening.

My observation on Fusion
Fusion, real fusion like this performance, may be making a come back - like a resurrection to some degree, if I may, and it's a band like this that can surely influence a rekindling of a generation that still exists (e.g. ages 40 - early 60s). I say that because music in the last decade has changed in terms of combining (fusing) musical styles. I've not heard much in terms of raw, unadulterated fusion music. If styles are integrating (fusing) it's steered into other directions which I feel is no way what true fusion really was...it's just something else.

Esthetics:
Your question as to why video tape the concert in black and white?
Notice the video starts in color then suddenly transitions into black and white when Damien's band is introduced entering the stage. It's an effect that was commonly used in film productions to either pull the past into the future or visa-versa. In this video it shows the intro as present day (color) shifting back into time (past) = era of fusion. Although there was color 20 -30 years ago, but again it is a graphical gesture of expressions of shifting time sequences. I thought it was pretty cool. Cool  IF not that than simply a technical issue... Wink

My take. Thank you for your input here.

Rac

Pete,

Here is the original Funky drummer vid that Damien did.  
I think the drums sound much better here without all
the compression.

Here's another.

View user profile
"Thank you Asaph for such a dynamical perception of DS. Yes,  he is truly a well schooled and progressive musician that harnesses brute energy, technique, speed, groove and finesse on a kit to a whole new level. I also believe these factors has set Damien apart from the drum off performers that are dying because they realized it doesn't work in the real world of music collaboration (getting a gig). It's like communication; it's not just about what we say but when to stop speaking and listening. *******I see Damien as one of those people with innate abilities that come forth in the 'force of nature' way. Virgil is like that. Buddy was like that. Something inside them, set apart from any kind of schooling - a voice that demands attention. Andrea Bocelli, James Earl Jones kind-of-thing. I do not believe there is anything that can be done on a drum set which Damien Schmitt cannot or could not do. It is just within him as a human being. Any schooling just enhances it.

My observation on Fusion
Fusion, real fusion like this performance, may be making a come back - like a resurrection to some degree, if I may, and it's a band like this that can surely influence a rekindling of a generation that still exists (e.g. ages 40 - early 60s). I say that because music in the last decade has changed in terms of combining (fusing) musical styles. I've not heard much in terms of raw, unadulterated fusion music. If styles are integrating (fusing) it's steered into other directions which I feel is no way what true fusion really was...it's just something else. *******Keen observation. I have heard stories of alarmingly well-known and brilliant fusion players playing to empty rooms in the last decade. I just turned 60 and I remember the days when there were actual compositions involved, not just riffs and heads to constantly solo from. The days of MO, RTF, JLP, Passport, Weather Report, and the like was a unique time of exploration. The late 60s into the 70s was that way for a lot of music. ELP, Yes, Renaissance and the whole mixture of classical into rock. I don't know that that kind of thing can be seen again or be enjoyed with the incredible enthusiasm it was back then. Maybe so. Time will tell.

Esthetics:
Your question as to why video tape the concert in black and white?
Notice the video starts in color then suddenly transitions into black and white when Damien's band is introduced entering the stage. It's an effect that was commonly used in film productions to either pull the past into the future or visa-versa. In this video it shows the intro as present day (color) shifting back into time (past) = era of fusion. Although there was color 20 -30 years ago, but again it is a graphical gesture of expressions of shifting time sequences. I thought it was pretty cool. Cool  IF not that than simply a technical issue... Wink ******* Ah, an artistic statement based on some history. Maybe so. Well said. Kind of a Wizard of Oz in reverse.

My take. Thank you for your input here. *******You're very welcome Smile

Rac

Any schooling just enhances it.
Asaph

Yes, and Damien had the talent to begin with. The schooling simply assisted him in terms of "transcribing" what's going on in his head and heart to the kit. Personally, for some reason or another, I'm still convinced that his talent shines strong within a collaborative, musical context (group). Not sure if it's just me, but I don't see this aura in his solo demonstration videos. Interesting also is that when he does solo with a group this sense of genius permeates the stage.

I may sound subjective but this is my personal observation, especially in my original video presentation of him with Sep7entrion - I see that happening there. It could be the calibre of musicians he's performing with that could be a major factor in fueling his performance to peak out! Incredible stuff! And I'm sure his contribution to his colleagues would have the same effect likewise. So, in theory then, this could only prove my perceptions on what I believe is taken place here. The video I presented may just be that 'one' that convinces me.

Performance Consideration:
Have you or anyone here experience that? Where there are particular musicians you collaborate with only strengthens your performance? And if the musicianship is weak (inferior) it negatively effects your performance? It does for me. Long live Fusion!!!

Peace
Rac

Thanks for your input here.

Last edited by Racman on Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total

I'm confused a bit with what you say, Rac in that MOST of the vids presented here
(not just by you) was of Damien doing what he does in a band or musical context.

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of any clips that were presented
In this thread where it was just him soloing without being accompanied by
other instruments except maybe one after playing a music minus one that
I re-posted from sometime ago.

But correct me if I'm wrong.

For me a weaker player doesn't necessarily effect my performance
negatively but rather causes me to make the necessary adjustments
as to make the most of the given musical pieces being presented.

View user profile
Oh mercy, the difference between playing by myself and what I do and what playing with another musician does within me to create and take off is alarming at times. And it's just far more satisfying and fun, too.

Like D mentions I don't know as I have seen a vid of Damien away from the band stand or playing to a track of some kind. Even at drumming events he likes to play to tracks or loops or something.

I always appreciated that about Dave Weckl's solos. It was never the band walking off stage. He always seemed to solo in the midst of a piece with the band playing some kind of riff. In the case of Damien the way he can play with time within a riff is exceptional.

All I'm trying to say is that I prefer my first video over the others in that Damien appears to be at his best compared to the others in spite of his playing with musicians. Have you ever discovered that can take place where a musician will sound at his/her best at a particular gig as you compare it to another? Kind of like your good days and your....greater days. In fact, I know musicians, I for one, where a full-on live concert environment just pulls the best out of me.

It could be the ampping of the excitement and appreciation of a gathered crowd, not just a studio or clinic situation. I'm sure it has it's benefits in the sense of demonstration. But a live concert....that's another set of nature that governs an atmosphere around a band on stage...a great feeling! So, having said that, I just see Damien at his greater days in this live concert video originally posted.

No offense or cockiness intended here my friend in regards to your postings which I kind of like and appreciate. And as to my explaining myself, it's nothing of profound enlightenment here. So this is my personal preference which I'm convinced holds weight.

...Oh, and how on earth D do you actually 'download' video online to your hard drive? Never done that before. Need to get this one for sure! Thanks

Shalom

Rac

"Kinda liked"?  What's that mean?

No Offense taken, Rac, as it's just a matter of personal opinion
which we each have.  I've been following Damien for a number
of years now and I have that entire concert on my computer.  
The things Damien does in that show are amazing.  But in truth,
I don't see it as above and beyond anything I've heard and seen
him do in some of the other posted videos, most of which WERE
live!

And besides, it was you who made the  distinction between his
collaborative musical efforts and his solo efforts.  

Personally, for some reason or another, I'm still convinced that
his talent shines strong within a collaborative, musical context (group).
Not sure if it's just me, but I don't see this aura in his solo demonstration
videos.

I was only pointing out that every thing that was presented on this
thread was presented from a musical platform that involved more
than just drums.  There were other instruments and other players
involved.  Thus everything that was presented of him was collaborative
either by music minus 1 or physically with other players.  And some were
of different facets, even more commercial if you will.  So to view them all
(assuming you did) and then come to the conclusion that only one best
represents him among the several genres presented seems a bit
presumptuous to me.

That being said, I would also add that the sentiment of enjoying
any of these greats is best observed from a collaborative musical
effort.  I believe I speak for more than myself when I say that the
likes of Billy, Dennis, Virgil, Dave, Vinnie, Damien and so on are most
enjoyed from a more collaborative musical context (group situation)
than just them alone playing a drum solo...  Personally, I think that
goes without saying.  Thus my confusion in understanding the point
you were making with that statement.

But look, man, I was only trying to share other efforts by Damien.
If you took offense to that or thought that somehow I was trying to
upstage you or rain on your parade, then I apologize for posting the
clips at all... That wasn't my intent.

Video downloaders:  There are more than a few but believe it or not I actually use
the one FOR youtube BY youtube...  "Youtube video and audio downloader."

It's free!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=youtube+video+and+audio+downloader&qs=AS&sk=AS1&pq=youtube+video+a&sc=8-15&sp=2&cvid=fdd4c1a0914247c3840bf616589c611a&FORM=QBLH&ghc=1

View user profile
Repetition and it's effects on the word opinion;

Again D.
In my opinion, and I know you know what I mean, is that my video continues and will continue to hold my utmost attention. It holds it within the jurisdiction of it being "my" observation, resulting in "my" enjoyment, deriving from 'my' opinion.

I believe I'm making a fair statement here. I will always remember you getting into some kind of disagreement about a particular topic. You would usually end it by stating the rights, and respect, of an other person's viewpoint that we are all rightfully entitled to. And I agreed with you...God bless America! You would usually conclude, at times after long winded arguments, about how a person's 'opinion' was just that an opinion and no more or less. I thought that was a wonderful way of ending it! But unfortunately, in this great country we've become professionals at having too much opinions, thus the birth of quarrelling politicians. And when one's opinion is misunderstood, we lend ourselves to being too easily offended by our rightful opinions. To offend was never my intention nor motive of doing. And if it appeared offensive, my apology here and let's settle at that. Basically, I just wanted to share a video of a great drummer and felt (based on my opinion) that it was one of the better performances of Damien Schmitt...that's all...in my opinion. And I came to that based on other videos of him in varying environments including musical situations, within collaborative efforts of other musicians. Again, what we have here is just my opinion of course.

After many a years of reading your posts in the past I would think you agree that we all have our respectful rights to an opinion...be it personal and even subjective at that? So, with things considered here this thread started with my personal opinion regardless if it was subjective. I never lorded my subjectivity or opinion(s) over anyone for all the years I've been here and brother Pete or any body here, in their right state of mind, can vouch for that. And even more so my subjectivity has never been to lord over a person like....you. So my friend, can we have 'discussions' rather than be likened to little children in a playground, going at it, if I may, in the sand box? I find that rather counterproductive to reasonable discussion for the sake of others.

I'll close at this; let's remember who we really are please. As light in this present darkness (Matthew 5:14)? And I actually enjoyed your videos though admitting I could not get half way before I lost interest. Anyways, I've always respected your opinion 'and' for the sake of our relationship, be it a cyber one, I rather not take this any further on the keyboard. But of course you're welcome to post whatever your heart's content as it is merely a reflection of your rightful......opinion.

Love you man,

Shalom,
Rac

Rac,

Here is my take on your views and opinions in a nut shell:

I don't care what you think or what your opinions are.
It is of no consequence to me because you are correct!
Your opinions are valid for "YOU" and carries weight for "YOU"!
And I have no choice and no qualms of accepting and being
well with that.

All I'm saying is I didn't submit the clips I did with the
"My dog's bigger than your dog" challenge.  I mean where
did all this: yeah those are cool but "my" video is better'
even come from?!  These are different performances, in
different venues, in different circumstances.  If you like
"your" video better, then fine and good for you!  But what
gain is there by sharing that information?!  They all pertain
to the various works of Damien Schmitt. That's all...
I was simply sharing some of those OTHER works, with no
intent of competing with what you posted originally.  

Whether you lost interest half way through or watched the
entire clip doesn't matter to me in the least.  They are still
no less the works of Damien.

But if it makes you feel any better,  I'm happy that you are
pleased and proud with  "your" video and that it holds weight
above all others for YOU.  

For the record, I don't respect all of your opinions but I DO
respect your right to them.

Love you back.

Peace, indeed.

View user profile

Sponsored content