BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Manny's Music in NYC to close !

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Manny's Music in NYC to close ! Empty Manny's Music in NYC to close ! Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:28 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

A friend sent me this story today - I'm deeply saddened by this news, because it means the whole row of stores will probably go. It's prime real estate on 48th street in the heart of Manhattan, but it has been THE music store in the city for my whole lifetime. The walls are lined floor to ceiling with autographed head shots of everybody who was anybody in the music business - Jazz , rock, big band etc. everybody, and I'm not exagerrating either.

This just really sucks, I mean it.

Manny's Musical Instruments, a Midtown landmark since 1935, will close its doors forever at the end of May, and the remainder of the Music Row—as the block of W. 48th Street between Seventh and Sixth Avenues is affectionately known—may soon fall like a row of dominoes.

Manny's was bought out in 1999 by Sam Ash, the musical 300-pound gorilla of Music Row and the most visible merchant on the street. A man from Sam Ash called a meeting at Manny's last Saturday and dropped the bomb that, after 74 years, Manny's would be put out of business. Some Manny's employees may be taken on by other Sam Ash stores here and in Jersey.

According to the clerk, however, that may only be the beginning of it. The folks from Rockefeller Center have apparently been buying up parts of the block, included a mammoth parking garage that lies across the street, and aim to level the entire street so that the Center can expand across Sixth Avenue. Put simply, Music Row, one of the last real vestiges of Old Times Square, will cease to exist.

Comments made by Paul Ash, president of Sam Ash Music, to The Real Deal in 2008, do not encourage one to think that Ash will put up a fight. "It's inevitable that Music Row is going to end," said Paul Ash, "One day, both of these corners will be20built up like [they are] on the other end of the block, and we're just waiting for the shoe to drop."

Manny's sits on property owned by its founding family. In the same Real Deal article, Ian Goldrich, Manny's grandson, said "I get at least a call a day from someone who wants to buy the building."

Over the years, Manny's has serviced such clients as Benny Goodman, Charlie Parker, Buddy Holly, the Beatles to Jimi Hendrix, U2, Eric Clapton and Nirvana. This almost hurts even more than the recent news that Tin Pan Alley might be torn down, because Music Row still exists. It's alive and functioning.

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

2Manny's Music in NYC to close ! Empty Re: Manny's Music in NYC to close ! Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:56 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

I am deeply saddened by this, Ted.

Deeply.

I bought so much equipment, from
there, when I was the young drummer.
I was inspired by all the photos.

Gosh. Part of me will die, too.

Regards,

Crying or Very sad

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

3Manny's Music in NYC to close ! Empty Re: Manny's Music in NYC to close ! Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:31 am

Colin

Colin

This is a bad sign
and very wrong.

Outtasight
Colin.

4Manny's Music in NYC to close ! Empty Manny's Music in NYC to close ! Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:59 pm

drumman

I knew that would happen eventually, Sam Ash is right across the street.
These "non-chain" stores are all at risk, Sam Ash and Guitar Center are
putting a lot of stores out of business.
On line stores are popular too, like Musicians Friend.

5Manny's Music in NYC to close ! Empty Re: Manny's Music in NYC to close ! Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:41 am

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

actually Sam Ash would be going out of business there as well. They would be making a huge profit selling the land to Rockefeller Center.

Either way, it still sucks. Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

6Manny's Music in NYC to close ! Empty Re: Manny's Music in NYC to close ! Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:38 pm

fusionfunk

fusionfunk

I feel like you too, Ted and Pete. I loved Manny's, and many a purchase was made by me over the years, but I also feel that Manny's wasn't really Manny's anymore since Sam Ash bought them out about 10 years ago. To get taken over by your arch rival is a real kick in the ass. I noticed a huge difference in the service, and attitude, after the buy out.

Actually, my favorite was Frank and Jane Ippolito's, Professional Percussion Center. Now that really broke my heart when they closed.

It's a shame just the same, I guess, because of it's history, and the fact it was a landmark for musicians for a long, long, time.

Russ

7Manny's Music in NYC to close ! Empty Re: Manny's Music in NYC to close ! Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:51 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Ditto, on The PPC.

For sure. I bought my
first pair of Billy Cobham
PM 808s, there.

Regards,

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum: