BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Keith Moon

+3
woofus
Ted E. Bear
spanky
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Keith Moon Empty Keith Moon Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:34 pm

spanky

spanky

Who here thought that Keith Moon, was a very good, and a breakthrough drummer a ahead of his time type drummer ? I just want you guy's opinions, because I was sitting here thinking about his drumming. But anyway, what did you like about this cat ?

Keith Moon trivia. It was Keith Moon who recommended the name "Led Zeppelin" to Jimmy Page who intended to name his new band 'Mad Dog

Despite being revered as a musician, Moon led a very destructive and irresponsible lifestyle. He laid waste to hotel rooms, the homes of friends and even his own home, throwing furniture out of high windows.[when?]

Along with his drum sets, Moon's infamous (and favourite) calling card was to flush powerful explosives down the toilet, detonating and ultimately destroying scores of toilets around the world.[6][9] It has been estimated that his destruction of toilets and plumbing ran as high as US$500,000,[10][11] and his repeated practice of blowing up toilets with explosives led to Moon being banned for life from lodging at several hotel chains around the world, including all Holiday Inn, Sheraton, and Hilton Hotels,[12] as well as the Waldorf Astoria.[13] Moon became so notorious for this practice that when Nick Harper was asked about his childhood memories spent around The Who, his first recollection was, "I remember Keith blowing up the toilets."[14]

According to Tony Fletcher’s biography, Moon’s toilet pyrotechnics began in 1965, when he purchased 500 cherry bombs.[15][6] In time, Moon would graduate from just Cherry bombs to taking out toilets with Roman candles and M-80s. Eventually, Moon began using dynamite, his explosive of choice, to destroy toilets.[16] “All that porcelain flying through the air was quite unforgettable," Moon recalled. "I never realized dynamite was so powerful. I’d been used to penny bangers before.”[6] In a very short period of time, Moon developed a reputation of “leaving holes” in bathroom floors, completely annihilating the toilets, mesmerizing Moon and enhancing his reputation as a hellraiser.[6] Fletcher goes on to state that “no toilet in a hotel or changing room was safe” until Moon had burned through his supply of explosives.[6]

Unknown to many people at the time, Moon was often able to cajole John Entwistle into helping him blow up toilets. In a 1981 interview with the Los Angeles Times, Entwistle confessed, "A lot of times when Keith was blowing up toilets I was standing behind him with the matches."[17] During one incident between Moon and hotel management, Moon was asked to turn down his cassette player because The Who were making "too much noise." In response, Moon asked the manager up to his room, lit a stick of dynamite in the toilet, and shut the bathroom door. Following the explosion, Moon informed the startled manager, "That, dear boy, was noise." Moon then turned the cassette player back on and proclaimed, "This is The Who." [18][19] On a different occasion in Alabama, Moon and Entwistle loaded a toilet with cherry bombs because they could not receive room service. According to Entwistle, "That toilet was just dust all over the walls by the time we checked out." The management brought our suitcases down to the gig and said: "Don't come back..." '[20]

The acts, though often fuelled by drugs and alcohol, were his way of expressing his eccentricity, as well as the joy he got from shocking the public.[6] In Moon's biography, Full Moon, longtime friend and drum technician Dougal Butler, who tended Keith's drum kit observed: "He would do anything if he knew that there were enough people around who didn't want him to do it."

His Death

Moon was Paul McCartney's guest at a film preview of The Buddy Holly Story on the evening of 6 September 1978. After dining with Paul and Linda McCartney at Peppermint Park in Covent Garden, Moon and his girlfriend, Annette Walter-Lax, returned to a flat on loan from Harry Nilsson, No.12 at 9 Curzon Place, Mayfair in which Cass Elliot had died a little under four years earlier.[31] Moon then took 32 tablets of Clomethiazole (Heminevrin).[6] The medication was a sedative he had been prescribed to alleviate his alcohol withdrawal symptoms as he tried to go dry on his own at home; he was desperate to get clean, but was terrified of another stay in the psychiatric hospital for in-patient detoxification. However, Clomethiazole is specifically contraindicated for unsupervised home detox because of its addictiveness, tendency to rapidly induce drug tolerance and dangerously high risk of death when mixed with alcohol.[32] The pills were also prescribed by a new doctor, Dr. Geoffrey Dymond, who was unaware of Moon's recklessly impulsive nature and long history of prescription sedative abuse. He had given Moon a full bottle of 100 pills, and instructed him to take one whenever he felt a craving for alcohol (but not more than 3 per day). The police determined there were 32 pills in his system, with the digestion of 6 being sufficient to cause his death, and the other 26 of which were still undissolved when he died.[6]

Moon died a couple of weeks after the release of Who Are You. On the album cover, he is seated on a chair back-to-front to hide the weight gained over three years (as discussed in Tony Fletcher's book Dear Boy).

Keith Moon was cremated after his death in September 1978. His ashes were scattered in the Gardens of Remembrance at Golders Green Crematorium in London.[img]Keith Moon The_wh10[/img]

2Keith Moon Empty Re: Keith Moon Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:15 am

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Well Spanky, you'll definitely hear from Keith [ Woofus] on this one. He loved Moon ! I loved him for his craziness and his passion !

I only saw him live once, back in 1971 at Forest Hills Tennis Stadium in Queens. For $6. Opening act was La Belle. The Who played songs from just 3 albums, Tommy, Live @ Leeds, and Who's Next which are arguably their best three.

I think Moon was the perfect complement for the Who's music, playing-wise, and attitude-wise. He did not even have a hi-hat on stage as I recall. You would not have heard it anyway !Technically, was he great ? No, I would say not. However, was he great as far as driving the band, and as being a visual drummer ? Yes , he was ! He played from his soul, and it showed and carried thru to the audience.

And he was loved by his bandmates, which is a true indicator of what he was about !

Definitely, a character ! And did you see him as a nun in 200 motels ??? hahhhahhahahahahaha

R I P Keith Moon !

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

3Keith Moon Empty Re: Keith Moon Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:15 pm

spanky

spanky

Ted I agree.

4Keith Moon Empty Re: Keith Moon Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:03 pm

woofus

woofus

That Ted is a walking concert museum. It's amazing he can still type. When I was ten years old grooving to the radio, he was witnessing the best concert culture on the planet (and still is). Ted, I may have to import you for a weekend of debauchery. You and Suss can have your own room with a case of dynamite and I'll have my own room with three (3) really hot nuns.

Of course, Moon wasn't the only destructive musician, both in his personal life and with objects. Jazz pianist Dodo Marmarosa was known to have pushed a piano off a balcony just to see what the crash would sound like (what chord sounded when a piano fell into a mine shaft? A flat minor). Moon's life in some ways parallels Charlie Parker's, whose autograph he was said to get when he was just 8-10 years old.

I've never read the biography "Full Moon" but intend to . . . and only in the past couple years have been learning about the very negative details of his life, including domestic violence which is the saddest truth. Whenever a film is finally released about his life, it should have a hopeful message because he was trying to make his life better. There is something to learn from this life.

I was pretty floored seeing The Kids Are Alright when it was released in 1979. Moon's energy and lunacy were unequaled. And I've been fortunate to have seen The Who a few times, always loving Townsend's intensity.

Moon was not a technical drummer, of course. My understanding is Billy spoke with him at the kit, was dumbfounded by whatever Keith was doing and simply suggested to keep doing it. But there's one video of Moon soloing at some clinic at it was just awful. What he was about was weaving and punctuating within a song. Daltrey talks about this astounding ability to play between vocal lines. Moon was about the music.

Some of the best drumming is Bargain, but for me the best Who material is Quadrophenia.

http://www.myspace.com/jazzstream23

5Keith Moon Empty Re: Keith Moon Wed May 05, 2010 10:27 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

He had a lot of energy and
it leaked positively into the
playing situation most of the
time. Outside, it could and
did get in the way. Same is
true for Bonham and others.

Shame, of course. I think that
Bonham was one of the most
important rock-drummers of
all time. RIP, Keith and John.

Regards,

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

6Keith Moon Empty Re: Keith Moon Thu May 06, 2010 5:51 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

John was and is a strong influence in much of the funk stuff I do now. I love what he did on the drums with L.Z.

Keith...... Well, Keith was Keith, fortunately and unfortunately so.

At 9:15 of this clip you can see Keith totally losing his mind.

At 9:38, Bert and Ernie Rocks the house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijs_xms5rGI&feature=related

7Keith Moon Empty Re: Keith Moon Tue May 11, 2010 12:09 am

Racman

Racman

I liked Mike Terrana, Asaaf Seeui but none topped these guys cheers cheers cheers cheers Ha ha! I was floored watching this one! Got the long version.

Take notice of Ernie's right hand stick technique using Burt's head for the ride. Incredible! haha Thanks D. Made my evening.

At 0.50 check the flam break that kicks the solo back in. Ha ha...I really enjoy this. NOTE: Holding your left mouse button while gently scrolling tab allows for slow motion view so stick-to-head brutal alternations can be appreciated. haha

http://www.glennracoma.com

8Keith Moon Empty Re: Keith Moon Tue May 11, 2010 5:42 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! That's just plain funny!!! Thanks, Rac! lol!

9Keith Moon Empty Re: Keith Moon Tue May 11, 2010 8:39 pm

spanky

spanky

That was funny, those cats were going at it, and for a long time too.

10Keith Moon Empty Re: Keith Moon Wed May 18, 2011 11:30 pm

keithmoonmovie

Hey everyone. This week Roger Daltrey stated that the Keith Moon movie that was planned to be released in 2012 is currently stalled. I was so disappointed about this that I created a petition to see if we can generate some buzz to help get this project on track.
Please sign the petition to get this Keith Moon movie rolling again at:

http://keithmoonmovie.com/petition/

This is not spam (This site costs me money and I dont earn a dime on it). Please sign this petition and I will make sure we get it in front of the powers that be.

bk

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum