BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hi-hat stands

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hi-hat stands Empty Hi-hat stands Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:05 pm

woofus

woofus

We always talk about bass drum pedals costing a grand, but I never hear about HH stands.

I recently changed to using an Axis vortex stand and really like it, but the footboard angle is too high and can't be adjusted given limited design. Axis sent me some parts to customize it which I've yet to do. For now I have it set on its lowest and this means the hats are at the same level as the snare, which I'm getting used to . . . super low.

Some stands I've found don't allow you to pop your heel and create sound.

Since I began playing I've used the old Ludwig stands, but just changed to Axis. Here's another problem with the Axis: the rod is so thick you can't put certain HH cymbals on it because the hole is too small!

http://www.myspace.com/jazzstream23

2Hi-hat stands Empty Re: Hi-hat stands Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:55 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

I just bought a DW 5500 TL stand, and it works great. You should check them out Keith !

http://www.drumminfool.com

3Hi-hat stands Empty Re: Hi-hat stands Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:00 pm

kenny

kenny

That seems weird to have it the same level as the snare. i like it to be up over the snare several ". because i also want tbe able to get different angles at the edge of the hi hat from straight down on top to the edge or a "chip" sound.
I've noticed a friend of mine plays jazz and sets his drums up weird like the snare drum really low down between his legs. he's a big guy but it's just strange. I really know where i like stuff positioned these days. Like having the hat out front like at 11:00 rather than to the side 9:00. that way i have better access to the snare while playing the hat instead of crossing hands.
i used to sit low and now i like to be up over the drums a little more or even.
I just play on some cheap ass hi hat stands and they work fine.
I can already sense woof is going to reply with some wacky come backs.

http://www.balkanmusic.org

4Hi-hat stands Empty Re: Hi-hat stands Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:39 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

The rods are pretty thick on all the newer hi hat stands, woof. If you've been using the old Ludwig stands then it's understandable why this may have caught you off guard... The fix is to simply buy a clutch with a bigger hole.

5Hi-hat stands Empty Re: Hi-hat stands Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:49 am

woofus

woofus

I've tried a few of my older clutches, so need to look into the newer clutches. The problem is the Axis clutch won't fit into the hole of the 70s Zildjians I recently snagged off craigslist. Paid $125 and they came with an old Tama Imperial Star stand which I thought looked great, but discovered it's dead for heel popping. Maybe I can adjust it. This old pair of Zildjians have a beautiful sound, but a weak chup. They're thin and dark. Hoping the chup improves with the Axis if I can get them on there . . .

Luckily, my 1987 Paiste RUDE hats will fit with the Axis clutch. And the stand definitely improves the cymbals over the old Ludwig!

There's a studio-used pair of Paiste Dark Energy hats in LA I want to pickup, but need a friend there to get them and ship them to me for a gargantuan fee. The studio refuses to ship them.

kenny, I don't really want my hats so low, but to use the Axis stand at the lowest footboard angle possible, that's where they have to be and I want the angle even lower. Pete suggested I learn open handed trad on the hat, so maybe this is a blessing in disguise. And kenny, I should remind you it was your colorful posts I loved reading while I was lurking around this community before joining. And then, of course, there was Pete, who I found to be the soul of the board.

6Hi-hat stands Empty Re: Hi-hat stands Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:15 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Yeah, I guess some old and new technology just don't mix. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

7Hi-hat stands Empty Re: Hi-hat stands Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:36 pm

woofus

woofus

D. Slam wrote:Yeah, I guess some old and new technology just don't mix. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

For now I've got the old Zildjians on the still older Ludwig stand and will enjoy them like that . . . or not!

For now I seek the grail . . . some hats I really love. Been playing the same ones since '87 and still love'em, but I know there's better to be had . . . and Ted, I'll check out the DW; thanks for the tip.

Don, what's your HH stand of choice?

8Hi-hat stands Empty Re: Hi-hat stands Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:40 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

I have a DW 5000 two leg swivel and the same thing made by
Pacific. The Pacific is larger in diameter, a bit beefier. And best
of all, cheaper! If feels and works every bit as good as the DW.

That's the one I've been using the past couple of years or so.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum