BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Tracks Donny Hathaway Box Set : John Sussewell listed

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Colin

Colin

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=f7b4264nxk&ref=browse.php&refQ=kwfilter%3Ddonny%2Bhathaway%26amp%3Bincl_oos%3D1%26amp%3Bincl_cs%3D1
Sold Out in Chicago.

So these claim to have it in stock.
http://www.amazon.com/Someday-Well-All-Be-Free/dp/B0036FB9JC/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1270750088&sr=1-10

This is a New 4 CD FrenchWarner Set.
And at last the Musicians for the Live June '73 tracks
that was out before on a US Live CD
this time lists John M. Sussewell (aka Suss) Drums.
5 tracks with a new one 'Love Love Love' (First time out)
And a Alternate Live Version of Nu -Po (New Port)
John's Drums even louder wich is great but
sadly without that super cool guitar solo in it.
The other Live Version of Nu Po
is on the 'In Performance' CD

Also

The Studio version of Jealous Guy 1971-72
is here first time out.

And 4 from 1974-75

No Other Way (Demo) (2:49)
The Essence Of Destiny (Demo) (3:19)
Going Down (Demo) (3:28)
Make It On Your Own (Demo - Dec '75) (2:03)

These are on the end of CD2

No Musicians listed for those new demos.

The 16 page book with it is not in English
It is in french.

There are still more tracks he did 1975-78
but they are not on this 4 CD box set.

His Voice on these New Demos is Pure Bliss.

New Tracks Donny Hathaway Box Set  : John Sussewell listed Hathaw_donn_somedaywe_101b
Coordination & Realisation : David Dutreuil
24bit Mastering: Isaak Jasmin.

I am not Anti French at all
and glad Warner France funded this.
I just wish they would add English version to the book
with it.

Also is this our Future in CD's
America can not fund the 4 CD box set
so France takes it on?

Outtasight
Colin.

Suss

Suss

Hi All,

My thanks to Colin for posting this (being the furreting researcher, etc., that he is)! You go Man! My hat's off to you Colin. cheers

In actual fact, I knew this was coming out. Some months ago, a French journalist [Joachim Bertrand] for their "Jazz Magazine" contacted me to do an email interview about my experiences with the late Mr. Hathaway. He was aware of the Warner/U.S. release and explained to me that he had already spent a number of years leveraging his contacts to persuade W.B/FR to release this set there. I'm glad to see this has been released. Joachim emailed me just a few days ago to say that he obtained the "CD" set and is mailing it to me. That was quite nice of him, and I don't take it for granted, since he didn't have to do it.

I'm going to wait until I receive this piece (along with the Jazz Magazine article) to provide more comments, but the reality is that I'm very proud of my stint with Donny. The man frankly afforded me my start into the mainstream back then following a disappointing experience with Hall & Oates because of Tommy Mottola [Daryl Hall & John Oates were super - their tour just got canceled by Mottola for no apparent reason being offered to the Artists...

... what I like about what I've been able to hear (which is only the evening version to "Nu-Po" at Carnegie Hall so far) was that however eccentric Donny could be at times, he would always allow me to play with "structured abandon." I mean the music called for it, and was progressive enough for me to stretch out at times. This being an instrumental tune afforded me the opportunity to take risks - especially with the high hat. Idea

I'm happy to be in close contact with two (2) of the musicians from our days with Donny: Basie Saunders (bass) and Leslie "Chuggy" Carter (congas/percussion). They should be listed as well. Chuggy phoned me that he was also contacted by Joachim to answer email interview questions. I'm not sure if Basie was, even though I provided the journalist with his contact information.

Anyhow, I can't wait to receive this piece. It means a lot to me for more than just having my name on the package and being credited. I think it only takes a moment of those who knowme, among those here, that then was a significant time in my life and musical development. I wasn't even a year out of college as an electrical engineering alumnus when winding up with one of the most progressive R&B singers and songwriters as a drummer. I choose to call it a Blessing, rather than chance/luck - I choose to dub it as following my heart rather than my detractors back then.

P.S. My personal computer is on the fritz right now, so I'm communicating via other means. I've also moved to new digs, which is why it'll take me a moment to update my address with the core here. The unpacking is exhausting, but thankfully I have help. bounce

Be well Everyone... and again, my thanks to you Colin.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnsussewell  http://www.facebook.co

Colin

Colin

Also on CD3
one track that came out on a LP 'Best of' in '79
has One rare track recorded in 1978 'You Were Mean't For Me'
Arif and Donny produced it.
Dave Sanborn on Sax.

And a Track that came out on a Rare Vaults of many from Atlanntic label
2CD set only
recorded in 1973 'What a Woman Really Needs'

Outtasight