BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tony Royster the master monster drummer

+2
spanky
kenny
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Tony Royster the master monster drummer Empty Tony Royster the master monster drummer Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:23 am

spanky

spanky

In my opinion Tony Royster is in the top 5 list of drummers on the planet. I have the Evolution Of Tony Royster DVD, and from that and all the other stuff that I have seen and heard from this cat down through the years, I would say that there is none like him. Even Dennis Chambers now has to take his hat off to this cat. And I think that all those chops that he does is him, and there are not many who can do them like him, he is a gifted master percussionist. He has taken his gift from God, and combined Billy, Dennis, Buddy, and countless others together with his own stuff and has emerged as a monster drummer in other words a force to be reckoned with. He drops my jaw, just like when I first saw Billy on In Concert, in the early 70's. All those chops that Tony does, gives me something to learn and the reason is, because he always has some place to go, he puts together combinations like nobody's business. He is a busy drummer behind the set and I just love the guy, and he is a decent human being on top of it. I think even Billy will agree that this 25 year old is special. I know Don, I know Don that you don't agree. But anyway I think that he is one of the top 5 period, bar none. I played this tune before on this board but I am going to play it again, it is a tune that Tony and his band ASAP came up with in about 2 days for the Evolution Of Tony Royster project, and Tony is just a monster on this tune. And if you don't have the Evolution Of Tony Royster, I suggest that you get it. Dennis was surprised at what he saw and heard from Tony since the last time that they had played together, he had to truly welcome Tony into the fold. I do realize that not everyone will be drawn to his style, and then many are and many will.

Tony Royster the master monster drummer Tony-r10

kenny

kenny

I thought he kicked all kinds of ass on that. The only criticism i can offer is when he plays the groove behind the soloist he seems very mechanical and not interjecting anything melodically or playing off of them. He just keeps the groove and he does it great. I'd like to hear more interplay within the music and not quite so cut and dry. Other than that i think he's a phenomenal player with great ideas in his solo. Just loosen up and play with the other musicians.

http://www.balkanmusic.org

D. Slam

D. Slam

Tony does some amazing stuff. But he's a hot shot. And as your criticism suggests, Kenny,
The hardest thing for "hot shot's" to do is simmer down and just allow the music to have it's
say.

For this reason, I'm a bit puzzled at Spanky's comments. Top 5?! These youtube clips are mainly all
fantasy. These guys post them to show THEIR stuff, THEIR heat. Rarely do you get a look at the full
musical spectrum of what these players really may or may not be. Smoke and mirrors when it comes
to when the rubber meats the road where music is concerned.

This is the very thing that Pete was talking about with Thomas Lang. Awesome stuff when it comes
to Guitar Center drum offs where you're constantly in 6th gear overdrive. I've been watching and
hearing Tony do this since he was 12. My question is: When does all the razzle-dazzle end and
the music begin?.... As the old lady used to say in those old school Wendy's commercials:

WHERE'S THE BEEF?! Question scratch

spanky

spanky

No Don I really think he is one of the best drummers pound for pound on the planet. Tony is Tony, and like I said not everyone is going to like him. But there are thousands and thousands of people who do like what Tony brings to the table. Tony just happens to be one of my favorite drummers. Tony reminds me of a young Lenny White on that tune Circus, on that tune Lenny always had somewhere to go, he never ran out of chops. Hey when I was first typing the first post I was laughing because I knew Don was not going to go for that top 5 comment. It comes down to what your taste is, and I am attracted to the way he played at 12 and I am attracted to the way he plays now. Now as far as what Kenny said I don't agree with that. Because the tune was designed to show case him. And one more time to do what he does I think he is one of the best drummers alive period. Tony is exciting he grabs the people's attention and holds them there, Tony is just a radical with his drum playing, but hey so was Chick Webb. Now as far as the razzle dazzle, he can and does slow it down. He is with Jay Z now, but he still does recordings for other things when he can. I also think that as he grows older he will slow it down. I also heard Billy say on one of the old boards, something like this, I can't remember his exact words but he was saying in his younger years he would really burn it up with a lot of hard drumming, but now he said he would not play that song the way he did it then. So we will see how Tony is down the road.

D. Slam

D. Slam

Because the tune was designed to show case him.

And that is precisely my point, Spanky.... What can you show me that he's done
that has NOT been designed to showcase HIM, but rather the music
as a whole that he's been a part of??! That's exactly what I've been saying all
along and that's where I take issue with what he does.

And remember, Billy is a pioneer, Tony is not. Billy didn't have the media
resources available to him that Tony and all of us have today. It's a new day
for us to learn quicker and better in terms of lessons learned with less trial and
error.

Speaking of monster players. Check out these 3rd and fourth gear tunes with
Dennis. He shows us that everything doesn't have to be me, me me... And we
all know of the monster he is don't we? Hey, but to each his own, Spank. If
Tony is all that to you, then right on, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4AtH9ei1dY&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EajcsHXAEfg&feature=related

spanky

spanky

Oh yeah, from time to time I watch those Dennis videos.

rarebit

I remember when I first discovered Dennis Chambers. I found a "Blue Matter" CD in a pawn shop. When I first played it it was much like the experience I had when I first heard Billy Cobham (hearing Inner Mounting Flame played on the local jazz station)- Revelation, wonder, and discovery. My world of knowledge about drums had been torn apart and then expanded. Then to later discover the vast array of styles these guys are capable of only helped to cement my initial impressions.

Tony Royster sounds great. He's a fantastic drummer, a joy to listen to...far beyond my capabilites...yet, he has not quite inspired me to the same extent as some of what I consdier to be the greats. Maybe today I'm older, perhaps less open than I was in the past, but I don't see *it* in Tony Royster just yet. Quite candidly, he reminds me of a guy you see in the music store showing off all his chops while everyone stands around and says, "Wow, what a great drummer!" There's nothing wrong with that at all, but that doesn't put him in the top 5 for me.

kenny

kenny

I think his accompanyment has an air of sterility and sounds antiseptic. If he can overcome that issue he will be the next dennis chambers in a heartbeat.

http://www.balkanmusic.org

spanky

spanky

Ok I might have went to far, so I will say the top 10. rarebit the thing that I like about Tony is, that he always has somewhere to go some kind of combination some kind of fill, some kind of chop, whatever you want to call it. He shows me that all the stuff you can do is endless, from him I get great ideas and great things to try and copy. When I first saw Billy on in concert, my jaw dropped this guy was playing a right handed kit left handed, and not many were doing that at the time except for the Beach Boys drummer. Also Billy's mind, and his speed and his precision his power, I never forgot that first time. Tony has learned from all the greats and he executes like not many can do. I am fascinated by Tony's creations of things to do.

10Tony Royster the master monster drummer Empty Re: Tony Royster the master monster drummer Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:14 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

he reminds me of a guy you see in the music store showing off all his chops while everyone stands around and says, "Wow, what a great drummer!" There's nothing wrong with that at all, but that doesn't put him in the top 5 for me.

rarebit! I kid you not!!!!! This is what I almost wrote in assessing T.R.:

He reminds me of when I sometimes walk into the music store and There is this bass player
over in the corner trying out some equipment and playing some outlandish chops. I go over,
listen for awhile and become excited about doing a project with this player. We talk, trade #'s
and some time later I call him for a gig. We get to the gig, I'm very excited with high expectations.

Long story short, when the gig is done I discovered that what I heard him do in the corner of the
music store is ALL he did at the gig. And it got very old very quickly...

That's how Tony's playing strikes me.

Spanky is right about Tony, he executes some unreal technical prowess from behind the drum kit.
But there are so many more elements that make a great drummer. Playing great things is not the
same thing as being a great player. For me to put T.R. even among the top ten players in the wo-
rld is putting him up among and even past some legendary and truly great players, present and
past.

There comes that point where you stop playing like you have something to prove and you just begin
to play music... When Tony Royster discovers this is when he'll truly start to establish his place among
the great players. Like you said, rare, he's not there just yet.

Now, with that, let me add that there are some incredible things coming from him in that video.

11Tony Royster the master monster drummer Empty Re: Tony Royster the master monster drummer Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:33 am

spanky

spanky

Don yes there is more to being a great drummer than just all those chops. I just like all the stuff that he does. And yes there is a thing called you are doing to many chops. He is only 24 or 25 he still has much growing to do, and I expect he will. I am not putting him up there with the all time greats, I am putting him up there with some of today's drummers, because many veteran drummers today do not have his ability, or can they execute like him. I think when I said that top five crap I was caught up in the moment, but he is still one of my favorite drummers that I hold in high esteem.

D. Slam

D. Slam

Spanky, you don't have to justify your feelings and choices to me or anyone else.
You dig what he does and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I dig it too
actually.

I would like to add though that we all have our own things that we do that no one
else does. because Tony does things that no one else does or even can do doesn't
by any rule make him better than them or their equal. And that's the same vise versa.

Ricky Lawson is one of the greatest players around. He doesn't have or at least doesn't
play with a bunch of chops, but the guy plays with nearly EVERYONE! Why? because
he has the ability to make their music happen in a magical, musical and yet a real
practical way. It's that formula that always works and it's the kind of playing that
keeps your phone ringing. And truthfully, MOST music is played with this type of
approach. For me, it's those players that have the ability to switch gears who are
the great ones.

Tony is good ----- At what he does. But the truth is, Spanky, he's a pretty one
dimensional player in my personal opinion. High gear only is all I ever hear from
him. Let me hear something where my head is not turned in the direction of the
drums because of all the mind blowing sh** that's being thrown out. Just play
and after listening make me say: 'Man, that song was really happening'. Rather
than: Boy, that drummer was smokin. Of course I recognize Tony's Wonderful
abilities. But at this juncture in my life I'm much more impressed with musical
balance than I am with a player that smokes circles around his or her band mates.

Again, though, to each his own. We all have our taste and we can't all be the same.

Respect! Wink

Racman

Racman

Nothing personal....just my opinion for what it's worth.

Have we lost our perception as to what is fluff from musicality? Guys, I don't mean to sound bias, but I think if we are too captivated by speed, power, and all that glitter then it's possible we may have lowered our ability to decipher the art of being musical as oppose to simply being amazed at someone's showy-ness.

I'd be the first to admit, Jr. is incredible and I can't do some of what he's cranking on those drums - that is if I choose to take the time in developing in that area. But personally, I find it counterproductive in that it would deter me from my real goal of evolving musically in my time and efforts. It also weakens my stand against the stigma of being known simply as that drummer guy and lean more toward becoming a musician first then a drummer.

I further this thought by saying this is, in my opinion, a result of those drumming competition circus acts - where young folk are being conditioned into believing the deception that power, speed, show, is the answer to being all they can be that gratifies public applause. This is more subjective then it is objective. The objective is to be in tuned to the music and the people who are a part of that component. I don't think drumming should be subjective and turned inwardly in saying...."It's about I'ma-gonna-kill-you-all!" because I'm the baddest a_s of a drummer guy.

I'm not in no way demeaning Jr. but simply trying to make a case in point that being packed with the talent does not necessary mean using it in ways that benefit the whole but finds it's self returning to it's SELF becoming enslaved to being subject to subjectiveness.

And yet I do appreciate that video Spanky...thank you.

My 1/2 cent,
rac

http://www.glennracoma.com

14Tony Royster the master monster drummer Empty Re: Tony Royster the master monster drummer Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:03 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Rac, "case in point" very well and very eloquently made. cheers

I'm not in no way demeaning Jr. but simply trying to make a case in point that being packed with the talent does not necessary mean using it in ways that benefit the whole but finds it's self returning to it's SELF becoming enslaved to being subject to subjectiveness.

The word for today.

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Hi guys,sorry i haven't been too active lately with the discussions, I've just been busy lately.

I agree that Tony has great facility on the drums, and for a guy his age, he's doing ok. BUT I haven't seen him play in a real band yet.(Maybe with the exception of Jay-z) But there's a whole lot of sequencing going on with those kinds of bands and sometimes it's hard to even tell WHAT the drummer is actually playing haha..

THE MOST important thing is exactly as Don stated- you have to play what's going to enhance the music reguardless of what it is. It could be the most simple beat you learned in high school, but if you approach that beat with the right state of mind, and feeling, and you're own identity-- it could be the most powerful thing you've ever heard.

That's the approach that's going to beat everything else.. every time. Just my 2 cents, I like Tony, but I'll take Bonham any day of the week. Meat, Potatoes...add your own Gravy...

D.L.

D. Slam

D. Slam

Well said, Dave.... And it's really great to read you on the board again.
We surely need more interaction from everyone.

I want to make another thing clear just so I'm not misunderstood:

Do I think Tony overplayed in this clip?.... No! I actually liked it and quite
frankly I thought he was burning. As a matter of fact, most times that I
hear T.R., he's right within context and he plays pretty much what the tune
requires. My stand is, the over the top, high energy, mega chops playing
is all I ever hear from him.

I'm waiting to hear him do something that symbolically points to the MUSIC
at hand rather than himself, or as Rac said, "inwardly. "Being still and not
feeling the urge to "go" anywhere all the time surely has it's place and is
just as effective if not more than always having somewhere to go and going
there.

sometimes, I'd like to hear him just be still....

John Bonham was a brilliant player. The funkiest rock drummer ever, hands down!
Groove for days!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum