BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

musical purpose

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1musical purpose Empty musical purpose Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:06 pm

kenny

kenny

I had a gig the other night with my Brazilian group and it was a bit rough around the edges. Lots of technical problems making for a late start. Funny thing was it grooved hard yet was really improvisational and took on a new exciting character. Maybe someone's solo didn't turn out like they wanted but then there would be some unexpected arrangements and surprise solos that were really tight! Everyone in the audience danced and had fun. We talked later and it reminded me of this scientist's talk about how the universe takes your input and then adds something greater than what you could concieve to the mix. To apply that to a band is, sure you want to execute your arrangements and solos perfectly with intention but then there is also this x factor, a wild card thrown in for added depth and excitement. Those heavily rehearsed arrangements are merely a road map for the spaces to be filled in with colors from our experience and also keeping a sense of adventure. The big picture.

http://www.balkanmusic.org

2musical purpose Empty Re: musical purpose Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:29 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Well said, Kenny.... And the better we understand the road map, makes us that
much more effective in filling in those spaces with the colors and experiences
we've learned along the way.

For this reason, rehearsal and practice are vital to me.

3musical purpose Empty Re: musical purpose Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:07 pm

boomer

Now, don you've got to be careful as you are showing signs of mellowing out, old man! santa If you're not careful you are going receive the "mantle of "OLD SCHOOL" afro Now you don't want fall into that category too soon, right? elephant

4musical purpose Empty Re: musical purpose Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:17 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Hahahaha.... You know, B. The basics always seem to come full circle.
The older I get, the more I wish I knew way back when what it took me
some 43 years to learn.

That old hind sight, 20/20 thing. But I guess that's not the way
life works, is it? scratch study

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum