BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

D.L. Question for you.

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1D.L. Question for you. Empty D.L. Question for you. Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:01 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Hi, D.L.,

In your avatar, what size bass drum is that? It looks 20" in depth.

Nice looking kit, brother.

2D.L. Question for you. Empty Re: D.L. Question for you. Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:36 pm

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Hi Don,
I was borrowing Those Mapex Drums when I was in Nashville- The bass drum size was 22x18. They sounded good.

3D.L. Question for you. Empty Re: D.L. Question for you. Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:41 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Ahhh, thanks, Dave!

4D.L. Question for you. Empty Re: D.L. Question for you. Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:26 am

Racman

Racman

Hello D. What kind of drum is on your default picture and is that part of a whole set that you own?

http://www.glennracoma.com

5D.L. Question for you. Empty Re: D.L. Question for you. Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:02 pm

Woody

Woody

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/robertwoodbury

6D.L. Question for you. Empty Re: D.L. Question for you. Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:03 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Racman wrote:Hello D. What kind of drum is on your default picture and is that part of a whole set that you own?

Thanks, Woody...

Rac, since Woody re-posted the link, I guess that answers your question.
but I'm sorry I missed the question you posted over there sometime earlier.

The drum cost me $650.00. And Jeff sent me an Impact, nicely padded soft
case with it absolutely free. He said it was a thank you for my patience because
the drum took a bit longer to finish as he was waiting on the new snare strainer
to arrive. The drum was well worth the wait.

I don't think I'd like an entire drum kit in that finish. Dark woods tend to make
drum sets look like a beautiful piece of furniture and they really don't show that
well on stage. White, black and all sparkles make wonderful looking drum kits
in performance.

It puzzles me why and how black kits seem to stand out on stage, but they do. scratch

7D.L. Question for you. Empty Re: D.L. Question for you. Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:52 pm

Racman

Racman

First off like to thank Woody for sending me that site of D's beautiful snare drum.

And secondly D thanks for filling me in with the detail of your new snare. It is really a sweet drum and must sound awesome! I think I know what you are trying to say in regards to drum finishes. Black is just one of those mysterious colors where it has so much stage appeal. But we must not forget how the orange-yellowish Tama Birtch StarClassics (my kit) has the same appeal. Wink Wink

But I really like your snare. It has character and obviously shows some serious craftsmanship that was invested into it.

rac

8D.L. Question for you. Empty Re: D.L. Question for you. Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:06 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Absolutely, Rac. Any of the bright colors and finishes seem
to have very good visual appeal on stage. My point is black
seems to work equally as well and it's a bit of a mystery to
me as to why. The beautiful exotic darker woods have
wonderful eye appeal when sitting at the music store or at
your home, but tend to get lost in the visual shuffle on stage.

Again, this is where entire setups are concerned.

As far as the snare goes. I came out ahead on this one.
Having a hand crafted snare drum built to my own personal
specs with the solid rosewood shell and other high end
materials used, for a mere $650.00 is a true blessing.

Jeff's a good guy and takes extra pride and care in his work.
Should any of you ever decide to have a custom, hand crafted
snare drum made from the ground up, and with woods that are
not mainstream for this industry, I highly recommend contacting him.

9D.L. Question for you. Empty Re: D.L. Question for you. Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:30 pm

Racman

Racman

woods that are not mainstream for this industry and according to D's custom specs.D's comments (with my revision in italics)

What might be this wood that is not so mainstream and what specifics did you request from the drum maker?

Would you say that this is the same procedure taken by celeberity drummers when producing a signature drum?

Thank you,
rac

10D.L. Question for you. Empty Re: D.L. Question for you. Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:39 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

As you already know, Rac, the most commonly used woods
for making drums are maple and birch. The drum I ordered
is rosewood.

Here are some other exotic woods and configurations Jeff uses.

http://www.carolinadrumworks.com/gallery2.htm

I couldn't tell you what the procedures for celebrity drummers are, Rac.
I Know I wanted something different, I contacted Jeff and we discussed
the the physical and tonal qualities of some of the different woods and
went over some options. I put together a package and ordered the
drum.

Here are some interesting shell construction options:

Solid Steambent

Stave

Segment block

And of course Ply

I ordered a solid steambent shell.

Other points of interest. I also ordered Puresound snares, black chrome
diecast hoops and lugs with brass accent and an R4 swivel snare throw off.

This particular drum was built with inner reinforced hoops top and bottom.
I thought at first that this addition might kill the tone and projection as it
sometimes does on some toms but Jeff assured me that wouldn't happen
in this case, and it didn't, thank goodness.

11D.L. Question for you. Empty Re: D.L. Question for you. Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:12 am

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Hi Don,
What angle are the bearing edges cut on your snare? Just curious--Thanks D.L.

12D.L. Question for you. Empty Re: D.L. Question for you. Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:23 am

Racman

Racman

Mr. D, it sounds technical as if you've engineered a rocket of a drum. No pun intended of course. But what you've assembled sounds really interesting and I'm not that familliar with some of those items you've mentioned.

Segment Block? ....hell the only segment I remembered was a segment on my first kit (Ludwig) tom's pearl finish pealing off. bounce

How did you come to that place of knowing all this stuff. I never knew it even existed outside of die-cast hoops, strainers, key holders, bearing edge etc. And that's about it my friend.

When I'm ready to do a Rac Signature drum, I'm asking you. Wink Wink

Thanks D for the information.

rac

13D.L. Question for you. Empty Re: D.L. Question for you. Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:16 am

Woody

Woody

I have an Impact bass drum case and I like it, although they are costly.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/robertwoodbury

14D.L. Question for you. Empty Re: D.L. Question for you. Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:41 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Hi, D. L.,

The top edge is a 45 degree inner cut with a 3/16” radius outside round over and about a 1 mm apex.

Bottom edge is a 45 degree inner cut and a very small outer 45 degree counter cut.

Rac,

Segmented block is a shell where blocks of wood were curved, cut in blocks and then glued together
sort of like a jigsaw puzzle. Thus the blocks have a more random looking placement. I hear this creates an interesting sound.

Stave shell This is built on the same principle as a wooden barrel. Vertical curved blocks segmented
together side by side to form the shell.

Steam bent shell A single, solid piece of wood that has been softened and then bent in a circle, then glued at
the single seamed edge to form the shell. Same method as ply's basically only with a single, solid piece of wood.

Here's a link from the website that explains a little about each method and it's characteristic.

NOTE: This info was written before he began applying the segmented block method so I don't think that info is there.

http://www.carolinadrumworks.com/shells.htm

Woody,

Yeah, those cases are nice. It was a pleasant surprise when he gave me this one.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum