BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Metal Snare Question

+4
stephane
Ted E. Bear
D. Slam
spanky
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Metal Snare Question Empty The Metal Snare Question Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:00 pm

spanky

spanky

Who here still uses metal snares and if so why ? And some people like them over wood.

2The Metal Snare Question Empty Re: The Metal Snare Question Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:55 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

I still have 3, Spanky... One's a 13" brass piccolo from Remo of all companies.
the others are a 5.5X14 Ludwig metal and a metal Pearl of the same deminsions.

I have not used a metal snare in years, literally. No particular reason, just haven't used them.
I had a 6.5X14 metal Ludwig that I loaned out many years ago and never got back. That drum
was killer. No more loaning out equipment...... EVER AGAIN!!!

3The Metal Snare Question Empty Re: The Metal Snare Question Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:20 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Don did you mean to say you have not used a wooden snare in years ? Correct me if I"m wrong but that's what I think you meant to say.

And I will say that I only use a metal snare also. 14 x 6" . Called the Rocker. and you asked why also, spanky ? Because of the projection mainly. I feel the snare is the most important drum in the kit and everything you do relates and emanates from the snare first. I think a lot of you would agree with that. But maybe not, I don't know. LOL !

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

4The Metal Snare Question Empty Re: The Metal Snare Question Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:51 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

I've been using wood snare drums of late ever since I can remember...
I can't remeber the last time I used a metal snare drum. The metal snare
that I loaned out and never got back was the one in the Destiny video.

I feel the snare is the most important drum in the kit and everything you do relates and emanates from the snare first. I think a lot of you would agree with that.

I'm a bit iffy on the most important aspect in that it takes a kit to make it work.
But I do believe that the snare drum is the catalyst and center piece for the
rest of the drum set, Ted.

5The Metal Snare Question Empty Re: The Metal Snare Question Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:51 am

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Hi Spanky,

I have a 6 1/2 x 14 Ludwig Supraphonic steel shell and also one in a 5x14 size as well- I think they both sound fantastic.

I have a Pearl Free floating Brass shell that you helped me find on Craigslist and that one sounds great too.
And 2 Ludwig Black Beauty's 6 1/2 x14 and 5x14. I do preffer the steel shell though..

BUT--my main snare that I use right now for everything, is an 8x14 walnut Craviotto solid shell w maple re-rings.

If you're gonna go with a steel shell--Ludwig Supra's are definitely the way to go.

6The Metal Snare Question Empty Re: The Metal Snare Question Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:02 am

stephane

I'm using a 5 x 14 bronze snare,before that i only used maple snare drums (8x14 and 6.5x14) i 've used a 3.5x14 brass snare during a short period of time.I think with a bronze snare drums you have the warmth of wood and the attack of metal,a good compromise,maybe one day i'll buy another maple snare drums, 5x14 is definitely my preferred size.Peace,Stef

7The Metal Snare Question Empty Re: The Metal Snare Question Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:56 am

kenny

kenny

I like my old metal ludwig concert snare. i'm guessing it's made of thin steel. I played in san francisco recently and the sound guy thought they are a really great snare drum to use. i always liked their sound in band in school. It cuts and still a warmth to it in a way. Now i want to get my rogers dynosonic back up and running for a change now that you mention snare drums.

http://www.balkanmusic.org

8The Metal Snare Question Empty Re: The Metal Snare Question Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:03 pm

Woody

Woody

I use a circa 1960 Ludwig Supraphonic chrome over brass snare drum. Pre serial number.
It cuts through the band and has great tonality. I use a bear percussion concert batter head with a Remo diplomat snare head.
According to some websites it is the most recorded snare drum, ever.
I love it and I don't use any other snare drum. It fits the bill for ALL of my needs on the kit.
The Metal Snare Question Snare.jpg
Here is a picture of the snare drum as I was changing the Remo coated ambassador batter head.
Its bark is as bad as its bite.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/robertwoodbury

9The Metal Snare Question Empty Re: The Metal Snare Question Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:54 pm

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

That's a Killer Woody..I know the sound-- Cool

10The Metal Snare Question Empty Re: The Metal Snare Question Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:19 pm

Asaph

Asaph

I'm guess I'm one of those odd creatures that doesn't really like wood snare drums, even though I've made them. The closest to really liking one I made was a Purpleheart stave. Pretty crisp. Otherwise I have always gravitated towards metal. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Will Kenedy crack. I just prefer metal. My main snare is a 7x13 aluminum I made from a shell given me by a friend who works in an aeronautics plant. 3/16" shell. Rings even with all the hardware on it.

I suppose if I had the money and time I might try to make a 6.5x13 Ebony stave or buy a shell from Joshua Tree.

I might find that hardness to give me a sound I'd really like. Of course if you sit me in front of an Ebony stave or a Dunnett Titanium, the Titanium will win out every time.

http://drumsinhisheart.weebly.com

11The Metal Snare Question Empty Re: The Metal Snare Question Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:50 am

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Put up a picture !

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

12The Metal Snare Question Empty Re: The Metal Snare Question Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:09 am

kenny

kenny

when it comes down to it. i'm more drawn to the sound of wood than metal.

http://www.balkanmusic.org

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum