BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

To Whom, Etc.

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1To Whom, Etc. Empty To Whom, Etc. Tue May 27, 2008 3:36 am

Suss

Suss

With due respect to ALL, what does it take for anyone to figure out the signs of the times when even families are pitted against each other? How many lives have to be lost for broadcast media to recant the true meaning of Memorial Day in the USA – or anywhere for that matter?

We are One People on this planet Earth. As from me, please remember that. We have the same desire and purpose among the aberrant and often rabid opinions fueled by media and mentalities speaking another actuality and reality.

In the wake of NASA applauding its’ efforts to successfully land a vehicle on Mars after previous attempts to do so and discover evidence of LIFE, I wonder what thoughts (and funds) are allocated to redeem Life on our own planet among the disenfranchised and (unfortunately) deluded. Go figure!

Hmmm...are those among us flying again only to realize that no one can run anywhere?

No man is an island. Yet it seems that we are ALL running to some solace and space where when in our own space we wind up alone.

I am not of that persuasion (never was: only defrauded):… rather my mainland is as I played it behind the drum kit where ALL are welcome. For those who think “islands” then think this too (with all respect to Boomer (Billy Cobham) where upon his composition I provide my percussive expression.

Regardless, prepare yourself for the destiny that is in your heart rather than the mandate placed upon you by sycophant plebeians making you conform to a failing system of things for their safety and not yours. Think economy of scale rather than the price of fuel toward your future. Think of others without disregarding yourself.

At this Memorial Day in the USA (26 May, 2008), our thoughts ought to be for those who defended our Nation and not transgressed an offense against another sovereignty abroad. I find it curious in my humility (with courage) to say that there are few who knew why they gave their lives when understanding at their last breath that their lives meant anything when assessed (or buried) by the populace. Just read your spiritual texts and adhere to it: I read according to mine and seek to conform my attitude and life to those scriptures that say they are asleep: and we will see them again according to their convictions and not ours.

http://www.johnsussewell.com/Elue041303.mp3
With corporate permission I am among the few that have recorded and published my expressions to Billy Cobham’s composition of “Eleuthera.”. In a day when everyone is moving forward, we tend to forget where we came from. Thank you Billy (“Boomer”) for your inspiration. I hope I’ve done you justice behind my drum kit for the many musical decades when you (and ALL) were overlooked BEFORE this Memorial Day (May 31, 2008 - PAS) among the Living legends. Maybe some will figure it out while working out their own technique in music. More importantly, the technique will be refined to working it out with each other…

http://www.johnsussewell.com/ALL_CDMaster.mp3
… hence “ALL” where I cannot withhold the truth. I’m a watchman on the wall, but not with a self centered worship in the traditional sense of the Word. Nuff said. Just listen to the lyrics and decipher how we muse with another expression in a spiritual and secular sense. Thank you Steve Whitworth, the artist. Pray for ALL and expect to hear from Us toward ALL’s destiny in the intent of the One God. Therein is true understanding. Go figure.

My Respectful Regards To All,

Last edited by Suss on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnsussewell  http://www.facebook.co

2To Whom, Etc. Empty Re: To Whom, Etc. Wed May 28, 2008 2:14 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

http://www.johnsussewell.com/Elue041303.mp3

Very nice, Uncle... I love what you did with the 11/8 section.
Very tastey playing indeed.

Great job on both tracks.

3To Whom, Etc. Empty Re: To Whom, Etc. Thu May 29, 2008 2:44 pm

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Wow Suss-
That certainly sounds great- just to remember such long compositions is a feat all in it's own!

Fantastic!

D.L.

4To Whom, Etc. Empty Re: To Whom, Etc. Fri May 30, 2008 11:19 am

woofus

woofus

Well, first of all, I'm impressed by your correct spelling of the word plebeian. Most of humanity gets that wrong, so your credibility soars here . . .

. . . and so does the Steve Whitworth tune. Great to hear how it's been mixed. Love the drum effects and always loved your drumming on the intro. You weave around the beat, making masterful suggestions sans single stroke rolls only a mature musician might have accomplished. I wondered just how much Steve realized you would contribute to the track and what doubts he may have had when contracting you, Suss, or even how well he knew you in the beginning. Fact is you made this recording a huge success. I'm not necessarily in love with Steve's voice, but can understand how it might grow on someone; somehow reminiscent of the musical Hair.

Now if you wanna talk about meaning, redemption (and repair), I'll get a bullhorn for you to use from 30 feet up in the tree . . . and we'll have that conversation. cherry

http://www.myspace.com/jazzstream23

5To Whom, Etc. Empty Re: To Whom, Etc. Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:45 am

Suss

Suss

woofus wrote:Well, first of all, I'm impressed by your correct spelling of the word plebeian. Most of humanity gets that wrong, so your credibility soars here . . .

. . . and so does the Steve Whitworth tune. Great to hear how it's been mixed. Love the drum effects and always loved your drumming on the intro. You weave around the beat, making masterful suggestions sans single stroke rolls only a mature musician might have accomplished. I wondered just how much Steve realized you would contribute to the track and what doubts he may have had when contracting you, Suss, or even how well he knew you in the beginning. Fact is you made this recording a huge success. I'm not necessarily in love with Steve's voice, but can understand how it might grow on someone; somehow reminiscent of the musical Hair.

Now if you wanna talk about meaning, redemption (and repair), I'll get a bullhorn for you to use from 30 feet up in the tree . . . and we'll have that conversation. cherry

Thanks Guys for you being patient with me while on my soap box! LOL! Glad too you enjoyed the music. It's been awhile since actually being able to exchange with you folks as I've grown accustomed to over the last eight years of member of Boomer's community. I'm well but more than challenged in a number of areas. In the final analysis, it is all good since none of us should ever grow so comfortable as to become detached from what is really going on in the world. [oops... there I go again stepping onto a soapbox!]

Hey Woof... you still like to goad me with that "tree house" scenario when I crash you party down in Florida. LOL! The bullhorn won't be necessary though since there is no tree that will hold me! Just think of me as the leaf that floats through an open window! LOL! [love ya man; allow me to answer your questions:]

woofus wrote:I wondered just how much Steve realized you would contribute to the track and what doubts he may have had when contracting you, Suss, or even how well he knew you in the beginning. Fact is you made this recording a huge success. I'm not necessarily in love with Steve's voice, but can understand how it might grow on someone; somehow reminiscent of the musical Hair

Actually Steve didn't know me personally before last Fall for him to have any thoughts about I would or would not contribute to his project. My referral came through studio folks that he knew and upon hearing what I did with another tune ("In The Beginning") he wanted me on the three that have already being mixed and mastered. That's the way it often goes in the business: word of mouth if not sight seen. Steve and I have grown to become good friends in the last 8 months. He's a real down to earth fella who plays a wicked guitar. More than that, he's well balanced in his understanding of what's happening around us; which is why I don't think it an accident that I'm involved with this project.

The vocals you hear are those of John Paul Spencer out of Ohio (an old friend of Steve's). J.P. has an operatic background and consented to provide the lead for the project. J.P.'s vocals were already on the nascent track when I overdubbed my parts - which is why much of what I did seems so "perfect." I'm a lyrical drummer by nature and prefer working with as much as can be monitored through headphones.

My thanks to you, et. al., for your love and prayers.

6To Whom, Etc. Empty Re: To Whom, Etc. Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:08 pm

Suss

Suss

Ok, I’m breaking my own rule simply because my concern for the greater number overrides my concern for the ‘one.’ I trust that you will understand my willingness to share the three finally mixed and mastered tracks I participated in for Steve Whitworth and his freshman release as an artist: “To Whom, Etc.”

These songs are copywrited, and Steve is no novice musician by any stretch of the imagination. Kindly regard my transparency with respect – and buy the release however marketed when it appears via CDBaby, iTunes, etc.

Unfortunately, Steve and his support staff have abandoned a formal Release Party here in Atlanta on June 14, 2008. The reasons are more political than musical and typify why club owners here in Atlanta (GA) need a wake up call. The musicians on this project are all seasoned, yet the powers that be continue to put folks in boxes that are ultimately broken out of. I believe this release for Steve Whitworth demonstrates his passion and purpose among the world’s music community. I’m truly blessed to have shared in this experience, however painful it might appear to someone who doesn’t know him.

http://www.johnsussewell.com/InTheBeginningCDMix.mp3 : Ironically, I was the first drummer to contribute toward this project. The referral came by word of mouth. It was after this tune (upon Steve’s appraisal) that he wanted me to record the next two provided below.

http://www.johnsussewell.com/ALL_CDMaster.mp3 : When I heard the framework of this tune, I was overwhelmed – and Steve knows this. Given what I was going through at the time, I expressed that the lyrics of this song (and all of the musical phrasings) express what I believe my purpose in life to be. Reconciliation and Relationship. This is why I consider myself a lyrical drummer more than just a drummer. I love the shifts in time signatures between 7, 5 and 4…. Particularly when first introducing the count after Steve’s self acclaimed intro within 11. I still don’t know how I was able to lay my part down on the second take at the beginning into the ensemble’s overture. That was a miracle of faith for me… even though I was consciously counting in my head, hands and feet.

http://www.johnsussewell.com/Ride_UreiAdLimit.mp3 : The opportunity to play to this was comical in some senses for me. Sure, we’re along for the “ride” in life, but sometimes we need to take the wheel. LOL!

To the best of my recollection, the above sound files were recorded in that order since last Fall, 2007. My work was completed in January of 2008. A lot of work (pre & post production) went into building relationships among the cooperative efforts of everyone involved. The above titles are only three of the nine (9) that will appear on the release “To Whom, Etc.” I can tell you that the other six (6) titles are so incredible for this style of music and Steve’s creative heart. I am not the drummer on those, but I still listen to them. I highly recommend that they be purchased simply because its good music with a timely appeal.

· “To Whom, Etc.” © 2008 Steve Whitworth (Producer, Author, lead and support guitars)
· Doyen Keaton (co-producer/engineer and recording facilities @ www.Audiohipster.com )
· John M. Sussewell, drums & percussion.
· John Paul Spencer, lead vocals

Enjoy!

P.S. the original tracks from which I worked can be found on the landing page of http://www.johnsussewell.com. Kindly notice the difference between the above.

P.P.S. My approach to music always embraces “lyrics” if such are focal to the musical message. This is why I often morph between single and double strokes on the drum kit to complete a phrase and keep it colorful.

Last edited by Suss on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:47 pm; edited 2 times in total

7To Whom, Etc. Empty Re: To Whom, Etc. Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:34 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

It's the little things that most would probably never notice that makes it for me when a particular move is made within a given piece of music.... This could be with the drums or any other instrument involved, vocals included...

Uncle,

In the tune, "Ride", I loved the way you left that segment open during the first measure of the short guitar solo. You could have put a "2" snare hit there but you elected to NOT play ANYTHING. I thought that was brilliant and it had a extremely positive effect on the tune. I also dug the Rock like feel you gave to this. This is one of those intances where I knew the feel would be no problem for you even though I've heard you play quite this way before. There was also another section right around 4:39 to 4:42, where through a drum fill that retards the band, the chorus was brought in... Now whether that was a timing issue and an adjustment was made or if it was supposed to be that way, It was brilliantly done.

Except for the tune, "Ride", like Woofus, I don't care that much for the vocalist on the other tracks. It's not that his voice is bad, I just dont care for his natural voice tones when he has to 'push' his vocals... It is what it is and it certainly isn't unpalitable.

Very nice material, Uncle and your contributional touch is a huge part of what makes it so.

I know you are going through some things right now, but if you keep moving, you WILL see the light at the end of the tunnel, if you're not seeing it already. Whatever you do and God willing, please don't stop playing.

You're among the wonderfuls...... Know this!

Love,

Nephew.

8To Whom, Etc. Empty Re: To Whom, Etc. Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:13 pm

Suss

Suss

D. Slam wrote:It's the little things that most would probably never notice that makes it for me when a particular move is made within a given piece of music.... This could be with the drums or any other instrument involved, vocals included...

Uncle,

In the tune, "Ride", I loved the way you left that segment open during the first measure of the short guitar solo. You could have put a "2" snare hit there but you elected to NOT play ANYTHING. I thought that was brilliant and it had a extremely positive effect on the tune. I also dug the Rock like feel you gave to this. This is one of those intances where I knew the feel would be no problem for you even though I've heard you play quite this way before. There was also another section right around 4:39 to 4:42, where through a drum fill that retards the band, the chorus was brought in... Now whether that was a timing issue and an adjustment was made or if it was supposed to be that way, It was brilliantly done.

Except for the tune, "Ride", like Woofus, I don't care that much for the vocalist on the other tracks. It's not that his voice is bad, I just dont care for his natural voice tones when he has to 'push' his vocals... It is what it is and it certainly isn't unpalitable.

Very nice material, Uncle and your contributional touch is a huge part of what makes it so.

I know you are going through some things right now, but if you keep moving, you WILL see the light at the end of the tunnel, if you're not seeing it already. Whatever you do and God willing, please don't stop playing.

You're among the wonderfuls...... Know this!

Love,

Nephew.

I love ya man... and so glad you noticed what you did. Of course, when I was first recording this in a format that is not what what is heard now, I thought productively: about what could/would be added based on my discussions with the producers. For me it was a labor of love in that though I can play rock music in my sleep, the challenge came in synchronizing my percussive colors with the lyrical and melodic flow of the music. I have always sought to do this since playing with Hathaway. Donny actually taught me how this should be done; and Bill Withers taught me how to be patient. If it were left up to me alone, I'd probably be more on the scene and successful as the world perceives success.

Actually Neph... you are spot on! Anything on the drums were always adjustments. Ironically Bill Withers had an lp by that name. But practically, I always found myself making adjustments to this tune when the only two other tracks slated were vocals and guitar. Everything else followed after that trio of recording. So my part was chiseled in stone as one says... and the basis which the producers refined everything else.

I like John Paul Spencer's voice... in that though it may appear pushing, it is quite relaxed for the tune, and any tune on this project he performed on. My pet peeve is the exact opposite (Patti LaBelle & Vanessa Bell Armstrong: R&B & gospel respectively). Knowing both of these ladies, I could never relax in their performances with the way I approach the kit from a listening standpoint.

LOL!

9To Whom, Etc. Empty Re: To Whom, Etc. Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:43 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

I like John Paul Spencer's voice...

Cool, Unc.... One man's garbage is another man's treasure.

To each his own.

10To Whom, Etc. Empty Re: To Whom, Etc. Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:15 pm

Suss

Suss

Daveonskins wrote:Wow Suss-
That certainly sounds great- just to remember such long compositions is a feat all in it's own!
Fantastic!
D.L.

Wassup Dave... I've been meaning to respond but held up by personal priorities.

I was reading the chart that Boomer provided commercially through Warner Bros;, though having heard the tune from the CD only a few times. I immediately latched onto the music and followed its' flow. If everyone plays their part, then reminders are not necessary: the music AND RELATIONSHIPS become a "given," ... however diverse we are. There's a subtle principle in there somewhere. Go figure... Smile cheers

I think there remains a balance to be struck among creative musicians/humanity, while not satisfying only those who follow the rules. We were created to create, and then to both read and perform from creativity. These daze (and probably well before I was born from what my father & mother told), that balance must be struck within ourselves first before shed abroad. Simply because "line upon line and precept upon precept" has a different meaning from contemporary society what was originally Intended inspirationally (and applied individually with others in mind. Nuff said on my part on this score... go figure for yourselves.).

Eluethera was both a work and a joy. And I found myself following the melodics in spite of the time signature changes. With that attidude everything just flowed from the decades of destiny. Has anyone stopped to think what Boomer was going through beyond the "liner notes" of Conundrum on this tune???. I think not since comments on the internet are often self centered. Times change; but people don't in essence.

The same goes with whatever song with varying time signatures when morphed into what a "vacation" from madness & war really means. Simply get the heart of the music rather than listen to words of a producer barking in your ear "what to do." Better yet think of the changing times among our diverse relationships... make the adjustments while achieving your goals, trusting in divine appointment and approval. It's hard but not impossible. Selah.

I hope (NO, I know) I've done Billy Cobham justice with Eluethera, rather than "just me." I say that recognizing that we are more than what marketplaces and societies deem us being "dime a dozen musicians." I have faith and hope beyond ourselves in humanity.

May we all be true and patient to ourselves in the process of growing, however much it may pain us among each other going through the same things. May we become better for the experience.

Thank you, you Boomer for your musical input into my life. There should be more with the attitude toward balancing the weights!

Thanks Guys...

11To Whom, Etc. Empty Re: To Whom, Etc. Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:40 pm

Alex Sanguinetti

Alex Sanguinetti

Dear Suss,

Finally I heard "Eleuthera", really great playing, fantastic!

Take care,

http://www.alexsanguinetti.com

12To Whom, Etc. Empty Re: To Whom, Etc. Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:56 am

Suss

Suss

Alex Sanguinetti wrote:

Dear Suss,

Take care,

Thanks Alex... especially coming from you!

13To Whom, Etc. Empty Re: To Whom, Etc. Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:28 am

woofus

woofus

Alex Sanguinetti wrote:

Dear Suss,

Take care,

And a great ability to compose; very thoughtful drumming . . . inspirational.

http://www.myspace.com/jazzstream23

14To Whom, Etc. Empty Re: To Whom, Etc. Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:18 am

Suss

Suss

woofus wrote:
Alex Sanguinetti wrote:

Dear Suss,

Take care,

And a great ability to compose; very thoughtful drumming . . . inspirational.

Absolutely Keith... when I first heard Eleuthera back in 2002, I wondered so here I have the commercial play along CD: so what am I going to to with it (?). When I read Boomer's liner notes, they seemed too sparse to fully capture what must have been in his heart when he composed this tune. Of course, he described the Caribbean island as being unique among the hundreds of others, but somehow the music didn't seem to reflect what my experience with a number of other islands there suggested. I can't speak for Boomer, but no doubt he was so relaxed when on Eleuthera that it was a given for him to break out into the subtle melodics and changes embodied in this tune that more populaced places should be aware of.

It was a joy for me to play. Quite honestly, its' been years since I played this as you hear it (I think I recorded this back in April of 2003 on my acoustic kit within the play along format). I won't need a chart the next time though. As long as everyone else plays their part (without flubs and brain farts), the tune carries itself. But we all make adjustments; don't we?

Congratulations Billy Cobham! You inspire us ALL.

And thank you Guys here for taking notice! You know I love ya!

All The Best, and...

15To Whom, Etc. Empty Re: To Whom, Etc. Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:23 pm

Suss

Suss

For those interested,

Here’s what I’m working on from behind the keyboards and not drums. The amalgamation of expressions congeal into what I’ve dubbed “To Reconcile.” Hope you enjoy the sparse framework upon which further production will have lyrics and other instruments strategically placed. The melody as I suggest carries the message though. Lot's of room for improvisational ad libs:

http://www.johnsussewell.com/2Reconcile.mp3
©️ 2007 John M. Sussewell

... and the message is to whomever is willing to listen from this drummer's heart (and frustrated keyboard player!). As much as I love to drive, ballads are still my favorite mode of communication musically. They provide the listener with room to say 'wow' and still breath. Embarassed bounce Very Happy

16To Whom, Etc. Empty Re: To Whom, Etc. Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:50 am

Suss

Suss

Suss wrote:
Alex Sanguinetti wrote:

Dear Suss,
Take care,
Thanks Alex... especially coming from you!

My most sincere thanks to each of you tremendous Guys in our virtual Community.

I do not have permission to upload the entirety of Steve Whitworth's release. Yet I'm Prompted to do so in the hope that those within our small community will not abuse the privilege. I frankly doubt the acumen among proprietors to make this public and deserving of the notice and appreciation in a timely manner. Please do NOT abuse Steve's copyright, as he has already given me permission to promote within my tight circle. This is my intent - but with deeper concerns and much beyond the music among very talented/gifted players.

Over the last several years I have striven to keep music on the top of my list. Yet time and circumstances dictated another route toward my survival. Whether it was because I was around the wrong people or making bad decisions on my own, I take ownership and responsibility for whatever. I am certainly dealing with the consequences now. Yet, afterall, I am still here and positive toward the beneficial outcome of Everyone when lives and property are involved.

Hey Guys: We can muse/shmooze all day long, but when the rubber meets the road (and the pedal is to the metal), the outcome, in my view, is that there are NO ACCIDENTS or DISASTERS. Just drive defensively, while posing an offense when necessary. Heck, I'm nobody's whimp! Only worshipping my God in service that no one except Him will know.

Yet among those of us with skin, I love job security, but am ever creative in other realms that hopefully open the eyes of the spectator as mine have been opened since 1982. Funny, isn't it? When any want to seek after peace, we are still at war among ourselves.

I asked the question and learned the Principles/Person long ago - to my own chagrin and the point of losing my own life when desiring to think of others beyond. I have not lost this view on any horizon in my life. You should know that I was in a Atlanta shelter for one month earlier this year because my efforts alone were not enough to reconcile a marriage to a woman wearing the pants without the balls in her crotch (go figure why! Shame!). Her loss, but each of ours as well. Why must this debacle keep repeating itself in the lives of those around the world?

Oh, I know why. It's because ignorance persists, while performances catapult some to a level that we no longer can discern the difference between what is seen, heard or promoted should properly be deciphered.

Just ask the right Questions Guys. Then, and only then, will you get the right answers. And in your Asking, be hungry, honest and humble - as I am still seeking to be with SKIN!

So listen to Cobham's Eleuthera again with yours truly on drums... and figure out for yourself how I could with a Mentor be even considered! Just do it without the doubt held at one's chest or international conflicts/war.

Here's my solution without solicitation!

3:18 And the fruit of
righteousness is sown in peace of them
that make peace.
4:1 From whence come wars and
fightings among you? come they not
hence, even of your lusts that war in
your members?
4:2 Ye lust, and have not: ye
kill, and desire to have, and cannot
obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have
not, because ye ask not.
4:3 Ye ask, and receive not,
because ye ask amiss, that ye may
consume it upon your lusts.

4:4 Ye adulterers and
adulteresses, know ye not that the
friendship of the world is enmity with
God? whosoever therefore will be a
friend of the world is the enemy of
God.
[The Apostle James transliterated into the NIV (New International Version) today]

In the meantime, I'm still competing. Do the same for yourselves without leaving anyone behind.

With All Love and Respect,

Your Suss!
John M. Sussewell

P.S. Listen again to Eluethera w/Suss the drummer & Billy Cobham, my musical mentor!

P.P.S: Now listen to "To Whom, Etc." where though not producing these sessions, provided the leadership that is audible (at least behind the drum kit and tedious conversations).

Rev. Dr. John M. Sussewell (don't even challenge it!).

You will left behind in your deliberations - not mine!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum