BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

This year in the music business

+3
Admin (Pete)
Suss
boomer
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1This year in the music business Empty This year in the music business Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:25 pm

boomer

[left]Hello Everyone:
Since the beginning of this year I have been in ultra- blitz mode, as I've been on tour with String Quartet (France), Italy with Culture Mix, the USA working in the studio with John Legend's drummer and musical director, Swiss Chris in NYC then on to Lowell, Mass. to work on a project with recording engineer and producer, Ken Scott before heading back to London for a weekend at Ronnie Scott's with Culture Mix again. That was mostly February.
March 12 found us in Adelaide, Australia where I was part of a successful premier of a new collaborative project called "Meeting of The Spirits" which is not just about the music of one specific group that hailed from the fusion era but really about the The Fusion Era so, as we develop the project we will present arrangements of our stuff from this period with the idea of injecting repertoire of this era into the symphonic performance environment. The Adelaide Symphony had a ball playing this stuff and I see it as a great accomplishment to continue where others have left off with these presentations.
Next month finds me in the USA and hanging with Don T. for a brief minute so I hope to learn as much as I can about what you guys have ben up to over here.
Stay well!

Boomer

2This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:10 am

Suss

Suss

So nice to hear from you Boomer and about your activities.

As much as I look forward to seeing you at either (if not both) of the Yoshi's next month, it remains if I'm going to be able to make the transcontinetal trip. Don T. has already said I could spend the week in his home; but just last night I was phoned up last minute to sub for a drummer who couldn't make a gig at Atlanta's premiere jazz cafe: Sambuca's (Atlanta) [http://www.sambucarestaurant.com].

Hey, am I complaining(?)... it was a most marvelous evening when without any rehearsal the trio sounded like we had played together for years (Rita Graham, vocals, Arthur Turner keyboards (bass pads and melodics on a grand), and yours truly on drums. I can honestly say that the outing was the most fun and professionally fluent as I've experienced 'live' since the Guild of Sound three years ago. Somehow I knew to LISTEN to what other expressions are among the group rather than break the dam, let alone 'plug' it once flooding.

The studio is one thing, but playing live is yet another... especially behind the sultry and sensitive vocals of Rita and the melodics of the keyboards. I'm still pumped after getting home late this morning.

What's that old saying (?)... too many pots on the stove or pans on the fire? Well, I wish I had more fingers to stir them: so that nothing burns, except the groove.

Like you always say:
let's see what tomorrow brings.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnsussewell  http://www.facebook.co

3This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:00 am

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Chicago area, by chance, Boomer???? affraid

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

4This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:31 am

stef

hi Boomer,nice to hear about you!
i've forgotten the february shows in France with the strings quartet,and i'm very very sorry about it!! the first time it was due to a mistake in the calandar and now ,no web site, no news!!! ah!!!I really want to hear you with Didier Lockwood,maybe another time or on a cd "string quartet project"Peace,Stef

5This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:37 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Admin (Pete) wrote:Chicago area, by chance, Boomer???? affraid

It seems kinda sad, Pete... The chigago area seems to be amidst that musical performance void that Billy once told me about. He was talking about the midwest. It's too bad that big, hustling, bustling Chicago seems to be a part of that dry area... At least when it comes to this genre of music. Shocked

A real bummer...

Don.

6This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:45 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

pale

Well, if he should come, I will be here.

7This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:23 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Admin (Pete) wrote:pale

Well, if he should come, I will be here.

Just be clear, Pete, Billy did not say that Chicago was among this void. I know that you have been wanting Billy to come to Chicago for some time now. For whatever reason he hasn't made it out.

Hopefully, one day.

8This year in the music business Empty On Chicago and the mid west Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:49 am

boomer

[left] You know, if the powers that be in this country were to seriously consider surface travel for the masses it would sooooooo easy for people to get to every corner of this country. That being said and knowing that you guys know all of this already, I am working hard to find a way to get to chicago, and the mid western part of the U.S.A. So far I have 2 days in Detroit with Tom Coster - organ, Dean Brown - guitar, and Victor Bailey - bass. This is scheduled for September of this year. I have been able to secure performances in just three cities which, for me is like striking oil? What a Face I have included the schedule for my performances below. Hopefully, this forey into this part of the U.S.A. will allow me access to other cities there sometime in 2009 so, I keep my fingers crossed.

Boomer

9/2 through 9/7 NYC Blue Note
9/9 Detroit Jazz Cafe
9/10 Detroit Jazz Cafe
9/11 through 9/14 Washington DC Blues Alley
And that's it for the moment: Neutral

9This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:56 pm

Colin

Colin

Detroit Jazz Cafe
that is great that those harder working folks can see your magic.

I mean the UK and USA banks are Printing Money to hold up
well dodgy banks.
Those Yank Home Loans funds are all over the World
no Bank wants you to know they have Dead Money in their bubble.

What those Nasty Yank Bankers set up has come back to attack us all,
even Record Deals are on Hold due to Banks no longer backing un sure ventures.

Looks like John McLaughlin joining AbstactLogix.com Recordings (Independent)
was the best idea in this troubled money world.

Outtasight
Colin.

10This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:05 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

The unrest in the financial arena is
something that involves the network
of banks, in all of the countries of
the world. No one is exempt from the
influence. The only certainty is that
there will be more centralization.

Good to hope for the best, expecting
the worst and everywhere.

11This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:24 am

Suss

Suss

Hi Billy,

I'm not at all surprised that Atlanta, GA is NOT on your itinerary.

The miscreants, wanna-be audiophiles who live just have to grow up.

See my post about Striking the Balance. Perhaps you'll find some comfort in the conundrum there.

LOL! NOT!!!! I'm ashamed of this city.

12This year in the music business Empty Let's see what happens Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:39 am

boomer

I was in Dubai a few days ago and was amazed at the building frenzy that is in place there. When I remember that just 4 or 5 years ago, when I had my first experience there, the place was amazing but nothing like it is now! Shocked There is so much happening that I really don't know where to look first nor what direction to commit to. I am just afraid that the bottom could really fall out and the bubble burst here seriously hurting the people of the region and of the world tremendously thus throwing the world into serious economic chaos. It is a special point in these days to be a western oriented musician who has the opportunity to experience these social times in the middle east. It really drives home the ideas of influence my musical direction. These days, it's all about collaboration on the 'world stage' as the rewards are formidable in that I get to share what I have experienced with anyone willing to lend an ear. I feel like a bee that's transferring pollen from point to point around the globe. And not just the musical performance side but also looking at the business end which dramatically affects what I do as a performer. With this in mind, I am hopeful that I will finally be allowed the opportunity to perform in regions like Georgia, Illinois, and the additional 48 states in the not too distant future. This would really be a blast!

Last edited by boomer on Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : none really)

13This year in the music business Empty Great bee analogy Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:08 am

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

You keep stinging them Boomer ! Cause you're the King Bee! Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

14This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:35 am

Colin

Colin

Yes Bill
Dubai is growing 24/7
they bring in workers from India and China
for these fast new Islands and high rise buildings, built so fast.
I think it may inspire You to write a track about that land
with Fast Drums , Tablas and 3 Guitar players and Grand Piano.

Now in Russia there is a Richmond Housing area with a London Taxi and
Red Phone box , Red Post Box and Brit Food cafes.

It is the Power of Money.

And China is like that old LA Smog you watched when you were young,
only bigger and more toxic
I could see you playing live there some day with a mask on,
crazy world we are in.

What would be great is one of your International Artists events
on a 5.1 DTS EagleRock DVD
for Worldwide sale etc.
There is a Demand for Quality Music.

Outtasight
Colin.

15This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:12 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Well, Bill, you are onto it.

In investment, the problem with
financial opportunity is that it
requires distress.

The problem with distress is that
no one likes it and tend to look
away from it and therefore, it
becomes the 'opportunity' only
after it has been attended and
that means it is no longer dis-
tressed. Instead, the market is
viewed as the opportunity but
'evidenced' - having shown a
period of unusual growth and
potential riches and here is the
carrot that leads into the burn-
ing barn.

Potential wealth and riches
tempt all. There are no borders,
when it comes to the desire
to be wealthy.

If there is a balance to these
things and I believe there is, it
is natural for periods of great
growth and speculation to be
followed by sharp adjustments
that happen 3-6 times faster.

We are in this, right now.

Let's just hope we get through.

http://img106.imageshack.us/my.php?image=monthlyhangsengnt6.gif

And let's remember one other
and the most important thing:

The further centralization of
the banking system can only
be achieved in the state of
financial ruin, not abundance,
self-sufficiency or freedom...

...and that is a bitter cigar.

16This year in the music business Empty Re: This year in the music business Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:24 am

Suss

Suss

boomer wrote:[left] You know, if the powers that be in this country were to seriously consider surface travel for the masses it would sooooooo easy for people to get to every corner of this country. That being said and knowing that you guys know all of this already, I am working hard to find a way to get to chicago, and the mid western part of the U.S.A. So far I have 2 days in Detroit with Tom Coster - organ, Dean Brown - guitar, and Victor Bailey - bass. This is scheduled for September of this year. I have been able to secure performances in just three cities which, for me is like striking oil? What a Face I have included the schedule for my performances below. Hopefully, this forey into this part of the U.S.A. will allow me access to other cities there sometime in 2009 so, I keep my fingers crossed.

Boomer

9/2 through 9/7 NYC Blue Note
9/9 Detroit Jazz Cafe
9/10 Detroit Jazz Cafe
9/11 through 9/14 Washington DC Blues Alley
And that's it for the moment: Neutral

Well, like you say Boomer... for you it is like 'striking oil!'

Like you, 'this country' (USA) has made it even more difficult to travel among the States, let alone 'work' while doing it profitably. Maybe by even using the term "profitable" is within itself an oxymoron. Just last night the largest employer and airline in Atlanta (Delta) jerked their travelers around by pulling over a hundred jets from their fleet due to some 'electrical bundle' problem. If they were going to do it, then simply inform those already traveling that such was to be done... and then they already hiked their prices for air travel due to fuel costs. It seems those who depend upon the 'oil' have yet to strike it! (no pun intended; and if you know what I mean).

Keep stinging Boomer... You King BEE! lol! afro

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum