BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Neil Peart Drum Solo on David Letterman

+7
fusionfunk
woofus
Ted E. Bear
Drumolator
Colin
spanky
drumman
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Neil Peart Drum Solo on David Letterman Empty Neil Peart Drum Solo on David Letterman Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:43 pm

drumman

If anyone missed this, here it is, Dave had Drum Solo week this past week and Neil
played on the finale, check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL0cII74YYs

spanky

spanky

David Letterman had drum solo week, and I missed all of it last week.

Sheila E. (Drum Solo) With The CBS Orchestra - David Letterman 6/7/11 - 2 days before Neil Peart
Hmmmm she is much, much better, in her playing, well to me anyway.

3Neil Peart Drum Solo on David Letterman Empty Re: Neil Peart on David Letterman Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:07 am

drumman

I think you are getting distracted by her legs... LOL!
Sheila's cool but she gets a bit sloppy, she tries to play real fast and doesn't pay
attention to being more accurate with her execution.

Colin

Colin

drumman wrote:I think you are getting distracted by her legs... LOL!
Sheila's cool but she gets a bit sloppy, she tries to play real fast and doesn't pay

She was playing that kit with High Heels on.
Cool Drummer

Outtasight
Colin.

spanky

spanky

drumman wrote:I think you are getting distracted by her legs... LOL!

She still seems to be better than she was, I watched it again and I think she did great. She is who she is.

Drumolator

I saw Rush on Friday in New Orleans, and Neil Peart's solo was way better than the one on Letterman. He was paid $50,000 four that four minute stiff solo he played. Peace and goodwill.

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

How do you know he got 50,000 for that spot?

When artists/actors etc appear on shows such as Letterman, Leno, Conan--they are using the show to promote and sell a product-- Just curious as to how you know this information- I don't know if I buy that---
D.L.

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Someone please post Sheila.

Regards,

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

spanky

spanky

Pete what do you mean, like give her, her own topic ?

10Neil Peart Drum Solo on David Letterman Empty Re: Neil Peart Drum Solo on David Letterman Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:36 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

I meant just post her, here. I like
her, of course (her Letterman ap-
pearance), if possible.

Razz

Truth be known: I was never too
keen on Neil's playing. He's fine.
Don't get me wrong. Just not my
cup of espresso. He's had an in-
credible life and was a part of a
band that had impact on many -
just not me. Actually, a lot like
Dream Theater, with the original
drummer (Portnoy). I will listen
to them, more, now, likely because
I like Mike. Always have but again,
I have preferences is all. I like
what I like and I have always had
a thing for Sheila.

afro geek rabbit pirat

Last edited by Admin (Pete) on Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

11Neil Peart Drum Solo on David Letterman Empty Re: Neil Peart Drum Solo on David Letterman Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:40 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

SHEILAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers

12Neil Peart Drum Solo on David Letterman Empty Re: Neil Peart Drum Solo on David Letterman Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:15 pm

spanky

spanky

I was trying to do that, but for some reason it would not let me, and that is the first time that I have ever had that problem. I am glad that you were able to post the video. And as for that comment up above, I don't see her getting sloppy anywhere, in the video.

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Thanks, Dave.

He did on fine job on that. He
really helped make that band.

Regards,

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Sheila E - sloppy ??? I certainly didn't see that. In fact, I liked her solo much better than Neil's . That was probably the most boring solo I have ever seen from Neil to be honest. Just a bunch of singles mostly . Where he switched to the e-kit was all right but I've seen that before. I thought Sheila had nice breaks in tempo and she did a lot of 4 stroke ruffs which I like. and I can't believe she was doing that with those heels !

I also watched the Anton fig solo from the first night - he's alright, a decent solid player. I've met him at the Modern Drummer Festival and he was very pleasant and unassuming .

So of those three I watched, I would rate Sheila the highest actually !

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

D. Slam

D. Slam

I loved Neils work on Tom Sawyer. I saw him in the not too distant past with
Rush on Palladia... Rock solid! Not much more I can say on his behalf after that.

Then again, maybe there's no need too.

Last edited by D. Slam on Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

woofus

woofus

Sheila E is just fainting material all the way around; my favorite of the three. Neil should be remembered as much or more for his lyrics; I believe he penned them all for Rush. Got to see them eat spaghetti backstage once. Also a great feather in Neil's cap are the Buddy Rich tribute cds/dvds he produced, Burning For Buddy, including Bilham and so many others:

http://www.myspace.com/jazzstream23

D. Slam

D. Slam

Sheila is good... Though I get the feeling when she plays that
she's playing timbales while using bass drums... What she does
with her hands is very reminiscent of timbale licks... Everything
is fast and furious with her. Again, I get quickly bored with that.

Truth is though, I dug this clip! I for one didn't see nor hear where
she played "sloppy". Question

The solo clip of Neil, I'm sorry to say was just boring all the way
around.

woofus

woofus

Good points, Don. It's her timbale playing that really, ahem, stands out with me, actually . . . that's what she solos when on tour with Ringo that I've seen.

http://www.myspace.com/jazzstream23

fusionfunk

fusionfunk

Ted E. Bear wrote:
Sheila E - sloppy ??? I certainly didn't see that. In fact, I liked her solo much better than Neil's . That was probably the most boring solo I have ever seen from Neil to be honest. Just a bunch of singles mostly . Where he switched to the e-kit was all right but I've seen that before. I thought Sheila had nice breaks in tempo and she did a lot of 4 stroke ruffs which I like. and I can't believe she was doing that with those heels !

I also watched the Anton fig solo from the first night - he's alright, a decent solid player. I've met him at the Modern Drummer Festival and he was very pleasant and unassuming .

So of those three I watched, I would rate Sheila the highest actually !

Peace, TED

I agree Ted. I liked her solo the best of all four nights, although I've got to give my respect to Roy Haynes. To still be able to even play drums at age 85, is amazing. God bless him. I'm lucky if I even live to see 85. Laughing

I first saw Sheila play, with her fathers band in the mid 70's. She must have been around 19 at the time. Needless to say, I fell in love on the spot. Even now that she's in her 50's, my opinion of her hasn't changed! Wink

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Hey Guys, I do agree with what everyone said about Neil's solo on this Letterman clip.
It seemed like a very akward situation for him since he is not one to bask in adulation at all. If you notice, he didn't even stand up at the end to accept the applause. It all seemed very contrived to me with the audience clapping when and where they did.

We tend to put Icons like Neil up on such a high pedastal that we expect mind- blowing performances each and every time, but the fact is, we are all human beings with good and bad days.

Sometimes you have to just get through a very uncomfortable situation by breaking it down to the least common denominator-- put your head down, and plow through...

Drumming is definitely a very physical instrument as we all know, and a melding of mind and heart. I like to think of us as ''emotionalists'' rather than drummers. And we don't all feel like superman every day of he week.

As far as comparing Neil to Sheila...well let's just say..there is no comparison.

When you look at the overall body of work Neil has done with Rush going on nearly 4 decades now, the creativity in the drumming, the different directions he's taken with percussion, electronics, and adding influences from different cultures across the globe it's astounding.

Not to mention all the lyrics he's written, that touched millions and put some real intelligence into rock music that inspired kids to actually READ....

He is also an author with several books- most of them I've read and found to be very interesting. ..

Now I like Sheila..I would love to have a nice dinner with her and talk about drums as I'm sure I would learn something from her, and maybe she would like me and take me home- ( I'm pretty funny, and can get along with anyone-haha)

BUT...she is not even in the same ball park as Neil. (That's just reality)..

Ok that's my 2 cents---D.L.

22Neil Peart Drum Solo on David Letterman Empty Re: Neil Peart Drum Solo on David Letterman Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:32 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

I kinda agree with you, D.L. but the other side to this is we're talking inside the ball park, not out.
When looking at the big picture, there are few drummers who can match Neil's accomplishments
throughout the musical spectrum when you start looking at what was done outside of drumming
alone... But we're talking Letterman Drum Week... And for whatever reason, Neil fell short of the
mark. And not even that really, I think Sheila AND Anton just played better.

In THIS instance, it was Sheila who was in the ball park alone. Sometimes it's just about playing the
drums, a particular performance situation... That being said, Sheila is king here.

Another thing, Shiela's accomplishments with Lionel Richie, her dad, Billy, Prince, her own very successful
solo career and a host of other accomplishments that I can't even think of right now are efforts that should
not be taken ligtly... The girl is up there, and in musical genres than span from latin, latin/jazz, funk, pop, r&b,
rock and fusion... She deserves her props, no doubt!

Last edited by D. Slam on Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

That's cool D Cool

I definitely do apperciate Sheila's contributions on the Drums and Percussion, and she probably has done a whole lot more than I am aware of on the drums and outside of them.

I just think Neil is a master at what he does--I've been to every Rush tour since the eighties and he's never failed to give a brilliant performance. It really is apples and oranges to compare these two great drummers.

I'm sure Sheila is a fan of Neil, and he's a fan of hers as well.

D.L.

D. Slam

D. Slam

Again, I saw Neil on a recent Rush tour on a concert channel called Palladia... He was smokin!
And not just him, but the whole band!... When it's just him and his drum kit, I personally would
like to hear a bit more creativity especially when one finds his/herself in a comparative situation
like this one. He's put himself and his ability on the line on at least a couple of occassions and
has come through with flying colors... Like with the Buddy stuff. I really admire him for that.

Still, his best work I think will have always have been with Rush.

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Right. Apples and oranges. It's about
what you like.

You know: Sheila has a discography that
goes miles, too. It's just that she is the
daughter of Pete and we're talking Latin
percussion, here and while I think that
Neil is a fine player, he would not be near
the first person I'd hire for that kind of gig
or even anything close to R&B.