BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Electric Lady Studios

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Electric Lady Studios Empty Electric Lady Studios Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:11 pm

spanky

spanky

I was wondering what had become of this studio, so now I know.

Electric Lady Studios

Electric Lady Studios, at 52 West 8th Street, in New York City's Greenwich Village, is a recording studio originally built by Jimi Hendrix and designed by John Storyk in 1970. A variety of artists have recorded music there, including Bob Dylan, John Lennon, Kiss, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Glass Harp, Blondie, Carly Simon, The Clash, Peter Frampton, Foreigner,The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Al Green, Frank Zappa, Nas, Kanye West, Madonna, Beyoncé Knowles, The Mighty Boosh, Courtney Love, Radiohead, Coldplay, Alice Cooper, Bad Religion, Stevie Wonder, Cactus, Goldfrapp, Greezy Wheels, Billy Cobham, Curtis Mayfield, Moby, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Lou Reed, Mandrill, Muse, Arctic Monkeys, Glasvegas, The Early Years, Sinéad O'Connor, Billy Joel, Billy Idol, The Mars Volta, Caroline Loeb, Mike Oldfield, The Magnetic Fields, Guns N' Roses, Elkie Brooks, Patti Smith, John McLaughlin, Klaus Nomi, Van Halen, The White Stripes, Weezer, Interpol, Ryan Adams, Steve Earle, Ron Rogers, Kid Creole and The Coconuts, Monster Magnet, The Pink Spiders, Deee Lite, Chris Braide, Rancid, D'Angelo, Wolfmother, Miley Cyrus, The Big Pink, Erykah Badu, Common (as well as the majority of the Soulquarians), Brandon Caie and Metric, Dave Matthews Band, Take That, Rihanna, The Strokes and Christina Aguilera.

History

In 1968, Hendrix and his manager Michael Jeffery had invested jointly in the purchase of the Generation Club in Greenwich Village. Their initial plans to re-open the club were scrapped when the pair decided that the investment would serve them much better as a recording studio. The studio fees for the lengthy Electric Ladyland sessions were astronomical, and Jimi was constantly in search of a recording environment that suited him.

Construction of the studio took nearly double the amount of time and money as planned: permits were delayed numerous times, the site flooded due to heavy rains during demolition, and sump pumps had to be installed (then soundproofed) after it was determined that the building sat on the tributary of an underground river. A six-figure loan from Warner Brothers was required to save the project.

Designed by architect and acoustician John Storyk, the studio was made specifically for Hendrix, with round windows and a machine capable of generating ambient lighting in myriad colors. It was designed to have a relaxing feel to encourage Jimi's creativity, but at the same time provide a professional recording atmosphere. Engineer Eddie Kramer upheld this by refusing to allow any drug use during session work. Artist Lance Jost painted the studio in a psychedelic space theme.[1] Jimi Hendrix hired Jim Marron to manage the construction project & run the studio. More info here.

Hendrix spent only four weeks recording in Electric Lady, most of which took place while the final phases of construction were still ongoing. An opening party was held on August 26, 1970, the same day 26 American troops were killed in a Chinook helicopter crash in Vietnam. [2] The following day Hendrix created his last ever studio recording: a cool and tranquil instrumental known only as "Slow Blues". He then boarded an Air India flight for London to perform at the Isle of Wight Festival, and died less than three weeks later.

Electric Lady Studio's address at 52 West 8th Street has a long history. The basement housed The Village Barn nightclub from 1930–67. Abstract expressionist artist Hans Hofmann began lecturing there in 1938, eventually retiring from teaching in 1958 to paint full time.

Popular culture

Electric Lady Studios was prominently featured in the movie Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist where a series of scenes were shot inside the actual recording studios. Nick (Michael Cera) and Norah (Kat Dennings) make multiple mentions during their visit there of the historical nature of the studio, and list many factual references to the multitude of artists who recorded there. Furthermore Nick discovers a left-handed guitar in the studio which refers to Hendrix.

Pages in category "Albums recorded at Electric Lady Studios"

100 Miles from Memphis
19 Naughty III

A

Album (Public Image Ltd album)
Albums recorded at Electric Lady Studios
Alive II
...And Out Come the Wolves

B

Beatitude (Ric Ocasek album)
Before These Crowded Streets
Blank Generation (album)
The Bootleg Series Vol. 8 – Tell Tale Signs: Rare and Unreleased 1989–2006

C

Cardinology
Carly Simon (album)
Cher (1987 album)
Chic (album)
Chinese Democracy
Combat Rock
Coney Island Baby
Crosswinds (Billy Cobham album)
The Cry of Love

D

De Stijl (album)
Destroyer (Kiss album)
Diana (album)
Dopes to Infinity
Dressed to Kill (album)

E

Easy Tiger
Eat to the Beat
Electric Circus (album)

F

Fantasies (album)
First Rays of the New Rising Sun

F cont.

Frampton's Camel
Fulfillingness' First Finale

G

Game Theory (album)
God of Love (album)
Gone Again
The Gray Race

H

Horses (album)
Hotel (album)
Houses of the Holy
How High (soundtrack)

I

I'm in You
In Defense of the Genre
In the Name of My Father: The Zepset
Introducing Joss Stone
It Makes Me Glad
It's Your World

J

Journey to Love

K

Kingdom Come (Sir Lord Baltimore album)

L

Led Zeppelin III
Like Water for Chocolate (album)
Live & Eclectic
Loose Ends (Jimi Hendrix album)

M

Mama's Gun
Maxwell's Urban Hang Suite
Mirror Moves
Music of My Mind

N

New Amerykah Part One (4th World War)

O

One Way...Or Another
Our Love to Admire

P

Phrenology (album)
Physical Graffiti
Pinkerton (album)

R

Rainbow Bridge (album)
Rebel Yell (album)
Restrictions (album)
Revolutions per Minute (Reflection Eternal album)
Risqué (album)

S

Sally Can't Dance
Sandinista!
School Days (album)
Spectrum (Billy Cobham album)
Stanley Clarke (album)
Stripped (Christina Aguilera album)
Supernatural (Santana album)

T

Talking Book
Things Fall Apart (album)
Three Hearts in the Happy Ending Machine
Tougher Than Leather
Train of Thought (Reflection Eternal album)

U

Untitled Nas album

V

Venni Vetti Vecci
Voodoo (D'Angelo album)
Voodoo DJ Soul Essentials
Voodoo Soup

W

War Heroes
Weezer (1994 album)
The Wombats Proudly Present: A Guide to Love, Loss & Desperation

Y

Young Loud and Sno

2Electric Lady Studios Empty Re: Electric Lady Studios Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:01 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

I noticed at least one album recorded there which was not on the list : The Great Blind Degree by Richie Havens . Several tracks were recorded at Electric Lady .

I was privileged to be present when one of those songs - Fathers & Sons , was recorded. The song was a cover of a Cat Stevens song. This was in 1970. How did I manage to be there ? Well, the bass guitarist in my band at the time - Blue Nirvana - had the connection. His older sister was Richie's personal assistant so she invited us down to see what a recording studio was like. It was my first time in a real studio . And the only time I was there .

Richie was a really cool, mellow cat, and I had an incredible time watching the recording process unfold . There's more to the story , but I can't put that here ! Very Happy

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

3Electric Lady Studios Empty Re: Electric Lady Studios Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:44 pm

Niki

Niki

Weren't they also having live concerts at the Studio?

http://myspace.com/nikidolp

4Electric Lady Studios Empty Re: Electric Lady Studios Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:14 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

I don't recall any broadcasts from electric Lady Niki . There could have been, but none that I remember.

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum