BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Empty Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:02 pm

spanky

spanky

I did not know at all that Rufus Speedy Jones played with James Brown, does anybody here know if he recorded with James Brown though, because I can't seem to find that, if he did. The fact that he was with Brown is all over the internet, but I can't find anymore info. But it is confirmed by about 10 articles on the net.
And here is a new video on youtube topped of with Frank singing Fly Me To The Moon, I love that song. If you all did not know I am a very big Rat Pack fan. I loved all of them and out of all of them Dean was my favorite singer. And I have all of Dean and Frank's stuff. And some of Sammy's.

Rufus "Speedy" Jones was an American Jazz Drummer from Charleston, South Carolina

Starting out on trumpet, Rufus switched to drums at the age of 13. He got an early start in 1954 with Lionel Hampton before being drafted. While stationed at Fort Jackson, Rufus played in a quintet every Saturday night at the black United Service Organization clubhouse in Columbia. He later played with Henry "Red" Allen, and Maynard Ferguson's Orchestra (1959–1963). He led his own quintet during 1963-1964 (producing a Cameo LP, his only album as a leader). Jones gained fame for his flamboyant work with Count Basie in the mid 1960s and backed that up with Duke Ellington in the latter half of the decade. He notably also appeared with James Brown.

2Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Empty Re: Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:51 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Spanky!!!!! I'm embarrased to say this but I've never heard of him.... He's incredible!!!!
There certainly hasn't been much talk about him, that's for sure! WOW! He really drives
the band, reminds me a lot of Buddy in that regard.

I have to do more research on this artist.... Really enjoyed this clip, Spanky, thanks for posting!

3Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Empty Re: Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:53 pm

spanky

spanky

Don here is 2 more for you, Rufus and Buddy had some of the best hands in the game. Count and Ellington gave this guy a lot of freedom, I have seen them give him a lot of solos. What I have noticed about this guy is how high his sticks go, and he still has speed. I know Buddy looked at this guy and said ( DAMN )

Last edited by spanky on Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total

4Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Empty Re: Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:01 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

I'm floored, Spanky, and for three reasons:

1. His amazing talent

2. The fact that I've never heard of him

3. There hasn't been much talk of this player, anywhere!

I think the statement Uncle John made in the "Roach" thread
carries so much more weight and truth here!

whereas Buddy was able to get his technique published, how many equally talented (or gifted) contributors from the "minority" were even considered for publications to the masses? Comparitively speaking, very few -

The guy is amazing!!!!

5Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Empty Re: Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:30 am

spanky

spanky

some of his videos are not on youtube anymore, I had posted some of them on this board a while back, I found it, it is a more clear sounding version than the other one up above and you can see the pride on Counts face at the end of the solo. I know that Buddy was very aware of this guy, especially after Rufus was rated as the fastest drummer in the world. Here is the old post that I made about him, with the better sounding video. You know what Don, why has this guy been forgotten like that, is it the color of his skin or something, Buddy had nothing on this guy, but Buddy got all the glory. I got to find his James Brown stuff.
https://bcwtj.forumotion.com/t1026-rufus-jones

6Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Empty Re: Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:16 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

I don't understand it, Spanky! I haven't seen this artist on any drum covers,
articals, chat forums, etc. I'm actually shocked! Had it not been for you,
I would likely have never known. I'm not sure if He got his stuff from Buddy
or if Buddy got his from him. But it seems that Rufus took things a step further.

Very fast, clean, high hand strokes.... And most importantly, he knew how to
blend with his bandmates, thus he was a musical player also. And when the
Count and the Duke turned him loose, he'd unleash hell! Simply Marvelous!!!
I just can't get over not knowing and hearing more about this individual.

The bio you posted in the other thread was all I could find on him. I don't
even know how or when he died.

Thanks, Spank... I owe you big time!

7Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Empty Re: Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:33 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Spanky,

I can't find any info of his passing. It's quite possible that Rufus
is still with us. I know he has a son (Lebrew Jones) that was
convicted of murdering a prostitute in 1989 and was released in
2009. From what I've gathered it was a wrongful conviction. He
aspires to be a drummer like his dad. I'll start searching for Lebrew
Jones to see what I come up with.

Okay, here's an interview with his son from prison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcrcKORA34U

His dad died in Las Vegas 10 months after Lebrews conviction
(circa 1990) Cause is unknown. He was only 53.

8Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Empty Re: Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:27 pm

spanky

spanky

Biography

by Scott Yanow

A brilliant soloist and an explosive player, Rufus Jones always lived up to his nickname of "Speedy." He originally started out on trumpet, switching to drums when he was 13. Among his early associations were with Lionel Hampton (1954), Henry "Red" Allen, and Maynard Ferguson's Orchestra (1959-1963). He led his own quintet during 1963-1964 (resulting in a Cameo LP that was his only album as a leader). Jones gained fame for his work with Count Basie (1964-1966) and followed that up by being a spark plug for Duke Ellington (1966-1970). Never an overly subtle player, Rufus Jones could always be counted on to light a fire under other players and he certainly made an impact during his periods with Basie and Ellington.

And this link said he died in 1990
http://www.depanorama.net/gloss.htm
I just found some a little information on him here, at the bottom of the page.
http://www.drtommusic.com/

And here is his son talking about him, and at the end of this video it tells you what age he died and where.

9Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Empty Re: Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:55 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

Thanks, Spanky... Though that is the same youtube link I added in my last post.

10Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Empty Re: Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:56 am

spanky

spanky

Oh Ok, but here is some nice stuff here on Drummer World, like the 1969 clip, and the 1965 one, is very clear and the best sounding one, like the one they had on youtube a couple of years ago. Very nice
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/rufusspeedyjones69.html

11Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Empty Re: Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:43 pm

Suss

Suss

First off, I’m not rambling here – I’m analyzing what Spanky is doing as a great job to remind us.

Spanky, I apologize for my previous post on “Find A Grave.com.” Whereas when I made that post, I was yet to see this post on Rufus “Speedy” Jones. In honesty, I was becoming a bit discouraged if anyone was actually listening to anything – with a view toward reproducing it with their personalities.

Spanky: I see now why you are becoming a credible historian of where the “roots” germinated. The good news is that within my comment here is embraced everyone agreeing on our appreciation of those roots; and EVERYONE’s contribution to the art form of music. It takes the proper ingredients to make a meal or even bake a pie. Moreover, it takes a proper attitude.

I do remember my Uncle Ernest A. Brown having a 78 RPM record of Count Basie with Rufus “Speedy” Jones on drums. It was only a few years before that my grandparents got their first television. My Uncle Sterling used to custom build stereo systems from Cathode Ray Tubes (the vacuum variety of what we know today as “transistors” (little amplifiers) integrated into circuits with capacitors and resistors. They produced a lot of heat because the negative pole of the tube lit up the filament going to the anode). Hence (and eventually) came the term “integrated circuits,” and the nano-technology today allowing gadgets to be much smaller than what we used to know. Heck, what folks today take for granted on laptop computers would have to occupy an acre of land (if not more) with CRTs (cathode ray tubes).

Even with TV, I’d be glued to it watching kiddie shows (Micky Mouse Club; Roy Rogers, Captain Kangaroo, National Velvet (with Elizabeth Taylor), etc.) – yet when I listened to music seen on various programs, I was like KWAZZY KLUE! (oops; Krazy Glue). [bold]When the TV was off, I’d listen to music on 78s and 45s. [/quote]

… I probably wondered if I could even ever play like Rufus “Speedy” Jones, since I got spanked many times for taking whisk brooms to the 78s and pretending I was playing the drums with the music heard. No one wanted to put drum sticks in my hand simply because at one point when I was 3 years old, I took a cast iron pan and popped my Grand Dad in the head with it. I remember Dolly yelling and saying things that I shouldn’t repeat here. I ran under the cupboard in the dining room thinking that I could hide.

I deserved those spankings! My butt is still black & blue! This is a true story where there are no fictional characters and no disclaimers protecting the guilty: [bold]me![/bold]

spanky wrote:I did not know at all that Rufus Speedy Jones played with James Brown, does anybody here know if he recorded with James Brown though, because I can't seem to find that, if he did. The fact that he was with Brown is all over the internet, but I can't find anymore info. But it is confirmed by about 10 articles on the net. And here is a new video on youtube topped off with Frank singing Fly Me To The Moon, I love that song. If you all did not know I am a very big Rat Pack fan. I loved all of them and out of all of them Dean was my favorite singer. And I have all of Dean and Frank's stuff. And some of Sammy's.

Rufus "Speedy" Jones was an American Jazz Drummer from Charleston, South Carolina. Starting out on trumpet, Rufus switched to drums at the age of 13. He got an early start in 1954 with Lionel Hampton before being drafted. While stationed at Fort Jackson, Rufus played in a quintet every Saturday night at the black United Service Organization clubhouse in Columbia. He later played with Henry "Red" Allen, and Maynard Ferguson's Orchestra (1959–1963). He led his own quintet during 1963-1964 (producing a Cameo LP, his only album as a leader). Jones gained fame for his flamboyant work with Count Basie in the mid 1960s and backed that up with Duke Ellington in the latter half of the decade. He notably also appeared with James Brown.

Spanky – the Rat Pack was well before their time and American society. Frank Sinatra actually told a few folks that if Sammy couldn’t sleep in the same hotel as the rest of the Pack, then no one would play. My Uncles told me that before it became a documentary commonly known on cable or dish TV these days.

Yet I am SOOOOOOoooooo happy that we’re ALL breaking out of our boxes in this Community. It might take longer for some, but the results are the same for everyone’s appreciation. Just “seek” to achieve them; and you will:

D. Slam wrote:I'm floored, Spanky, and for three reasons:
1. His amazing talent
2. The fact that I've never heard of him
3. There hasn't been much talk of this player, anywhere!
I think the statement Uncle John made in the "Roach" thread carries so much more weight and truth here!

To everyone – I love Don Thomas as a man in his own right to speak his mind. And to keep my comment in the context of Max Roach’s conversation thread (?), please exercise patience with me while I make this insertion as stated and cited. There is no disrespect to you D. Slam. I’m just glad that history is proving itself to be true while so much is now coming to the surface while others still want to bury it.

Suss wrote: …I am drawn to the history of what those "Times" and "demographics" were like when cats like Max, Tony, and other drummers were coming up in the ranks.

When I met Max Roach in a loft in NYC while I was studying vibes with Warren Smith, Max did phenomenal things with his craft that I've yet to hear today with anyone... particularly with his brush technique. Buddy Rich (whom I've never met) was more accessible to society in the USA and appreciated by the same. It's amazing how societal influences can affect one's attitude. People are crippled today physically and emotionally because of those negative influences...

... whereas Buddy was able to get his technique published, how many equally talented (or gifted) contributors from the "minority" were even considered for publications to the masses? Comparitively speaking, very few - most everyone back in those days would hang out at clubs in neighborhoods where when the shoe was on the other foot, people of color were told we weren't welcome elsewhere.

Thankfully, it is no longer politically correct to assume such a stance these days - yet the sentiment of bigotry still exists if one ventures too far out…

As a reminder, all of our opinions on any particular subject are correct “as opinions.” I personally thank you guys for our willingness to be transparent in our process of growth and the appreciation of “factual” history so that we don’t make the same mistakes over and over again. Such is called “insanity.”

Thanks Nephew Don = you’ve renewed my faith in you. Never doubted it to begin with my brother.

Last edited by Suss on Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnsussewell  http://www.facebook.co

12Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Empty Re: Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:53 pm

Suss

Suss

No doubt some have noticed how high Rufus exercises his musical interpretation of rudiments. I mean the guy's sticks literally bounce off of the snare higher than his head. Dag Nabbit - and that ain't a kwazzy wabbit! affraid

13Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Empty Re: Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:03 pm

Suss

Suss

Wait a second or Two Bass drums! Rolling Eyes

I'd swear this was Billy Cobham in his younger days. (Boomer)!

Rolling Eyes

affraid

Okay... I'm going to sleep now - don't slap me! Suspect

Smile

14Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Empty Re: Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:11 pm

Suss

Suss

And what about the trappings having been worn to do such efforts with the "ease" we see? Heck - I'll be frank: if I had to wear a tuxedo to play the way this man plays (? scratch ), I'd shivel up into a puddle of blood, sweat and tears.

sunny

... just kidding Guys. First impressions are the most important. So don't fear the challenge. You already "hear" it. Just do it.

Like a Star @ heaven

15Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Empty Re: Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:45 pm

Suss

Suss

Omar’s solo with Sting reminds me of Rufus “Speedy” Jone’s playing with Count Basie. Can you see/hear the resemblance?

I can … though different is many aspects. Now that is wonderful!

… yet I wonder how this guy would do with James Brown. I suspect that he’d ("Speedy") would be as bored with Mr. Brown as I would playing a Carnival Cruise ship. Then maybe not unless it's about a "paycheck!" What a Face

Those "old hands" on board here know what I'm speaking about. The ensigns just should keep the flags flying! Cool

I burn for you with drum sticks in my hands. Not beating YOU, but making music my friends.

16Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Empty Re: Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:06 am

spanky

spanky

Found one more Rufus Speedy Jones video over at Drummer World, he was a little subdued in this solo. Hey Asaph check out this guy's videos up top. I wonder what Buddy thought of Rufus speedy Jones, because Rufus could keep up with him for sure. And I know Buddy knew about him.
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/rufusspeedyjones69.html

17Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Empty Re: Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:02 pm

Asaph

Asaph

Rufus! I remember reading about him when I was a kid. I only saw pics of him, and didn't ever see him play until my ventures onto youtube years ago. He was the bomb, man! So serious looking all the time. Like Bruce Lee on the drums. If I recall correctly later in life he had to stop playing because of severe arthritis in his hands. Tragic.

Basie had the best drummers, man. He could really pick them. I forget the first time I heard him. Someone elses record collection, big band stuff. Blew me away.

http://drumsinhisheart.weebly.com

18Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Empty Re: Rufus Speedy Jones & James Brown Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:12 am

spanky

spanky

Rufus needed the money more than likely he died broke and he had a condition that kept him in so much pain that he had to quit playing drums. He became a janitor, also his son Lebrew Jones was accused of a murder that he did not do in New York and spent 22 years in the slammer. Rufus was one of the best drummers out there, he was the one drummer at that time who could keep up with Buddy. And James Brown knew a lot about musicians, I mean James Brown sang with Luciano Pavorottie did I spell that right you can find that on youtube. But anyway Rufus is one of my favorite drummers, and what kills me is that he has not received the proper credit, and I wonder why. Duke and Count loved showcasing him because he was a force.
Lebrew on his father
Rufus Speedy Jones -- Lebrew Jones

Lebrew gets to played on a real drum set when he got out in this video, he is not his dad but he has some talent and he plays well in this video.
Lebrew Jones -- Waitng 22 years for this moment

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum