BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

What would be the lesser of two evils......?

+2
Woody
Racman
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Racman

Racman

Would it be advantageous to start a song a bit faster or somewhat slower than the original tempo of a song? I ask this because in reality, no one (in my estimate) plays The Perfect time anyway. I know this has been a topic of the past but if you really read-into my question here, you will find that it's simillar yet different in the sense of what would sound more obvious if a drummer had to 'readjust' his/her tempo during the exicution of a song in play.

I was told that to play the tempo a bit rushed (faster)...... Because slowing down a tempo from a faster tempo is 'less obvious' than making the adjustment from a 'slower' tempo to a faster tempo. Keep in mind here that all things must remain within the general confines of the music's intended (original) tempo. So then, what would be the lesser of the two evils?

What do you think or maybe someone understanding what I'm trying to ask here may question this in a different way......... Wink Wink

http://www.glennracoma.com

Woody

Woody

Starting a tune faster and then slowing it down would, for me, be the lesser of two evils.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/robertwoodbury

D. Slam

D. Slam

Wow!

Well for me (though I hate to admit it) I have a tendancy to push (rush) a tune as we progress through it. So if we started it fast, it is likely to become even faster over the course of the song. Personally I don't like starting any tune slower or faster than it should be for tempo's sake. As of late I have been really concentrating on holding a starting tempo the best I can.

Have a listen to the Cold sweat clip that Uncle J. Swell put up for me.... Listen to the first 5 seconds of it and then slide the tab down to just beyond halfway. you will notice a big difference (increase) in the tempo... I'm actually embarrased about it. Embarassed

Don.

Racman

Racman

Thanks Woody for your input and I would have to agree with you on that one.

D.....I will listen-in on your piece of music as soon as time allows for it. But thank you for your transparency. This is what it is all about here cause there is much growth in sharing the ups and downs of our craft....it only gets better. But u are the bomb man and that is a fact that has no room for understatement..... Wink

http://www.glennracoma.com

D. Slam

D. Slam

Rac,

THAT'S what it's all about! I like to share whatever good attributes there are about myself. But my struggles and short comings also... For the sake of helping someone else miss a bad place. Not just in something as trivial as music by comparison, but in life itself.

Thank you for your kind words, Sir Rac. Like a Star @ heaven

Don.

MIKE

MIKE

Great topic Rac!!!!!

I think, as long as the feel/energy is right.......then we should be courageous....+GO 4 IT!! Very Happy

I mean look @ the way guys like Boomer take a song from their back catalogue - such as Dessicated Cocconuts.........+ make it sound fresh performed here+now, by altering the tempo!!

Re. havin 2 pull back tempos...........Most times I HATE 2 do this. Usually the band has got faster because a lot of (positive!) energy has been created over a certain vamp/groove/section.....i really dislike pulling back the tempo over a groove Rolling Eyes

One thing i've found helpful though, is 2 make more of a sudden change @ the next major section....i.e. next chorus,solo etc.
Doin sumthing like this is easier if u + the bass are in agreement!! Very Happy

MIKE

MIKE

D. Slam wrote: I have a tendancy to push (rush) a tune as we progress through it. .........Have a listen to the Cold sweat clip that Uncle J. Swell put up for me.... Listen to the first 5 seconds of it and then slide the tab down to just beyond halfway. you will notice a big difference (increase) in the tempo... I'm actually embarrased about it. Embarassed Don.

Hey H.A., don't be embarrased....if it feels good....then it feels good?!!!
I mean it's not like you're in the studio playin 2 a click is it?!

Do you guys like the Isley Brothers?? afro
Compare the tempos at different stages on some of their big hits.....it's amazing just how much they speed up!! cyclops

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Hmm.

Yeah, I will go with Woody.

Most rhythm sections rush,
to my experience. As a result,
I have tried to adopt methods
of controlling them.

My main weapon is that jack-
hammer quarter-note that you
hear Suss, Virgil and Gadd use
and I really lift it, so everyone
can see it. I also keep the fills
around the quarter-notes.

So, generally speaking, I have
them usually slower than faster
and then have to pick it up,
4-measures, if needed.

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

D. Slam

D. Slam

Mike,

I for one do not like speeding up like that.... What may FEEL good at the time might not SOUND so good on the listen back. Got to control those emotions.

Pete,

What is this jack hammer quarter note thing you're speaking of? Fast and medium tempo tunes are generally based off of hi hat 8th notes. Quater notes in such cases are for the most part played on the kick, but who's doing disco these days?! scratch

MIKE

MIKE

That's very true Don!
I suppose one has to take into account the players/type of group/agenda in terms of musical direction.
One of my weekly residencies @ the moment is billed as jazz.......but on weeks when all the house band members are on the gig we play very free....+ try to just go w/ the feel.
So you may have a J.B. groove morphing into tango then descending into avant garde jazz Twisted Evil
Of course for that kind of thing to work, every player must be in agreement interms of being free enough 2 create new music on the spot!
Exciting stuff affraid

Suss

Suss

Personally, I'm of the mindset that unless there are meant to be tempo changes within an arrangement, it's best to establish the desired one at the outset of the song rather than fluctuate. Very early in my career I had a problem with that (much like Don shared). The regimen's of recording studios, live concerts (and today's clik track that some still prefer in their MIDI productions) somehow trains to avoid fluctuations.

It's at that point when "jack hammering" means more playing around the pulse (with fills and color selections around the kit, rather than pushing any particular surface at the expense of others). In my opinion that is how syncopations excel without rushing or lagging.

On another note, my pet peeve among non drummers is calling for a tempo at the beginning of the song, playing the head and then the leader (vocalist maybe?) wants the tempo to "slow down" simply because he or she wasn't able to complete the song at the same tempo originally specified. I really hate that since tempo fluctuations usually reflect more upon the drummer than any other player on stage. It simply doesn't sound, nor is, professional.

Great topic Rac... I'm sure there are a lot of opinions on this topic: in the same way as there are a lot of ways to play the same song.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnsussewell  http://www.facebook.co

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum