BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

ELEKTRIC BAND RIPPIN AT THE BLUE NOTE !

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1ELEKTRIC BAND RIPPIN AT THE BLUE NOTE ! Empty ELEKTRIC BAND RIPPIN AT THE BLUE NOTE ! Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:41 am

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Well , went to the Blue Note for the last night of Chick's month-long birthday extravaganza . What better way to cap off an incredible month of 48 shows than with the original Elektric Band.

It was pretty much balls -to-the -wall fusion , and I couldn't have asked for more. Though I"m not as familiar with this music as I should be, I still enjoyed it tremendously. The first set was a hi-energy affair with one ballad but the second set was just blistering !

They didn't mention most of the song titles but the last two songs of the first set were Johnny's Landing and the encore was Got a Match.

Set two was introduced by actress Elisabeth Ross from the TV show Madmen who has known Chick since she was 5 years old and appeared with the band onstage. She was the inspiration for Chick writing the song Eternal Child which they later played in the second set. Her father was Chick's original personal manager.

Another song they played this set was Blue Miles, which was a blues shuffle based on a Miles riff Chick appropriated and made into a song.

Then Chick brought up his wife Gayle Moran to sing a version of 500 miles high which they had also played at the RTF Unplugged show. Though the tempo was a lot faster than the RTF version , and again, the soloing was blistering.

At this point the club manager brought out a birthday cake for Chick and we all sang happy birthday to him and they served the cake to the members of the audience . Then Chick introduces rapper Doug E. Fresh in the audience and he gets up on the stage and starts doing a beat box thing . The band joins in and jams along with him. Then he makes up this birthday rap and does the usual "put your hands in the air " maneuver that every rapper seems to do. But he did really well at getting the audience into a call and response thing and his beat box jamming with Weckl was pretty cool. After he finished, Chick started trying to copy his beat box sounds which was pretty funny.

They closed again with Got a Match, which was the only song that was repeated .

The playing was superior - Dave Weckl was so fluid and perfect I was in awe ! this is truly one heckuva great band !!

And needless to say, they were all extremely nice and friendly with everyone afterwards, signing autographs, and posing for pictures. And I got a pair of Dave's sticks for my collection. Vic Firth Evolution's , his signature sticks. They are very light, pretty close to a 7 A . I can't believe the power he got out of them, and didn't break one. I would have broken about 10 of them ! LOL

some photos to follow.

This has been some incredible month music-wise. I am deeply grateful for the opportunity to see these great players and I thank Chick and his management for their kindness to my brother and myself. I think they said something about coming back in February ! All I know is that whenever the DVD comes out from the 140 hours of film they took, you would be well advised to pick it up !

Peace, TED

[img]ELEKTRIC BAND RIPPIN AT THE BLUE NOTE ! 100_1337[/img]

[img]ELEKTRIC BAND RIPPIN AT THE BLUE NOTE ! 100_1338[/img]

[img]ELEKTRIC BAND RIPPIN AT THE BLUE NOTE ! 100_1410[/img]

[img]ELEKTRIC BAND RIPPIN AT THE BLUE NOTE ! 100_1412[/img]

[img]ELEKTRIC BAND RIPPIN AT THE BLUE NOTE ! 100_1415[/img]

[img]ELEKTRIC BAND RIPPIN AT THE BLUE NOTE ! 100_1416[/img]

Last edited by Ted E. Bear on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:58 pm; edited 2 times in total

http://www.drumminfool.com

D. Slam

D. Slam

Thanks for that Ted, I saw this band three times and they were
simply awesome! The last time I saw them they were doing that
Ron L. Hubbard tribute thing and that's the concert where I had
trouble keeping my eyes open. Nonetheless they were as always,
technically perfect. The other two times they were simply SMOKIN!

One of my all time favorite fusion bands. But I must say I'm happy
that Doug E. Fresh were at none of the shows. Very Happy

Glad you got a chance to see them, Ted. Thanks for the review!

Thanks for all the great music, Chic and many more healthy, happy
birthdays.

stephane

Tank you Ted for sharing,you're really lucky!!!
I saw them at the very begining in the 90's,at that time,everybody talked about 3 drummers:Dave weckl,Dennis Chambers and Vinnie colaiuta.In my opinion,Dennis and Vinnie were the most impressive ,today i think Dave is a more complete drummer and one of the greatest solist!Peace Stef.
PS: Ted did you hear something about a future release (cd) of these shows?Thanks again

D. Slam

D. Slam

stephane wrote:Tank you Ted for sharing,you're really lucky!!!
I saw them at the very begining in the 90's,at that time,everybody talked about 3 drummers:Dave weckl,Dennis Chambers and Vinnie colaiuta.In my opinion,Dennis and Vinnie were the most impressive ,today i think Dave is a more complete drummer and one of the greatest solist!Peace Stef.
PS: Ted did you hear something about a future release (cd) of these shows?Thanks again

Intresting what you say about Dave, Stephane.... I agree 100%.
I''ve always felt that DW became somewhat characterized. Kinda
like Sylvester Stalone and Rock or Rambo ( though I've always thouht
Stalone to be a great actor) Seems like when Dave did other projects
outside of the E.B., it was the same kind of approach. The census was:

"Dave Weckl can't groove" is what lot's of people were saying.

I don't think it was ever a case that he couldn't but for whatever reason
it wasn't a high priority in his application to the music he played. In any
case, his playing has DEFINATELY matured in leaps and bounds.

And with that said, even back then, he was perfect for the Electric Band.

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

For me, I don't like to form an opinion on any musician or any band for that matter until I've seen them live in the flesh because that's where it really counts. Videos and recordings are fine for starters but you can't know what someone or a band is about until you experience a set. That's just my humble opinion.

I've always liked Wekyl's playing though he always came off more as a finesse-type player rahter than a power player. I like finesse, but my taste tends towars power with authority AND finesse. this was the first time I saw Dave play live and he moved up many notches in my ranking system after these shows [ not that it matters to him, LOL].

His style comes off close to Vinny Colaiuta's, not because they both play traditional grip, but their appoaches are similar. I would say Weckl has a touch more finesse, and Vinny a touch more power. But both are superior players, period.

And Steph, yes I am fortunate to live in New York, and the availability of these types of shows is one reason I live here. The greatest players and bands all come thru here at one time or another, and I live to support live music. You asked about a future release. Well the whole 48 shows were filmed by a crew from Norway who we got friendly with after the first bunch of shows. There is a DVD being planned showcasing Chick and this birthday run and the various aggregations he has played with in his career. They have about 140 hours of footage. How many hours that will come down to of course will be up to Chick and his management, Bill Rooney. Probably 2 or 3 hours is likely what will come out. When ? who knows ? I'm still waiting for them to release the Leprechaun shows I went to some years back , also at the Blue Note, with Chick, Steve Gadd, Frank Gambale, Anthony Jackson, and Ravi Coltrane . They did the music from Leprechaun, Mad Hatter, and my Spanish Heart. Killer shows - I went to two. Still waiting on those. I reminded Bill about those and he said he will start thinking about them again. And right now Lenny White is editing the RTF 4 shows for a DVD that's supposed to come out, probably next year.

Right now, I'm waiting for the new Mahavishnu box set to arrive, which I ordered on Nov. 22 when it was released. who knows when that will come ! LOL

Peace, TED

D. Slam

D. Slam

I've always liked Wekyl's playing though he always came off more as a finesse-type player rahter than a power player. I like finesse, but my taste tends towars power with authority AND finesse.

I imagine that this is only ONE of the areas where you and I
differ, Ted. From the first time I heard him I knew Dave to be
a highly technical player with finesse AND power. I never
had to see him live and in person to draw that conclusion.

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

I guess I'm just not as insightful as you Don ......... but some people can sound good on records, and then suck live. Haven't you ever found that to be the case ?

Peace, TED

D. Slam

D. Slam

Chaka Khan, unfortunately. No

stephane

Completely agree with you Don and Ted about Dave's drumming!
Thanks Ted for the news,where did you order the M.O box set?Peace,Stef

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Popmarket.com Steph !

Peace, TED

stephane

Ok Ted,Thanks.peace,Stef
ps:i'm going to order this box set with Billy's "live in Leverkusen" cd.

12ELEKTRIC BAND RIPPIN AT THE BLUE NOTE ! Empty Chick Corea Elektric Band Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:41 pm

drumman

Ted,
Thanks for sharing, I didn't even know about this show!
Damn, Weckl's going grey..LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcIJF3gWbKY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frSM56L6Z94

Asaph

Asaph

Yeah, that was a shock to see. Weckl getting older. Chick has lost weight! He looks great. Not having ever been to the Blue Note (or any other NY clubs for that matter) it looks like a pretty tight squeeze for a band using power for sound. I've heard about the Blue Note forever. I just purchased a couple Oscar Peterson Blue Note recordings yesterday at a used CD shop. It obviously seems made for acoustic jazz.

How loud was it all? Must be tough to control that kind of sound in such a small club.

http://drumsinhisheart.weebly.com

14ELEKTRIC BAND RIPPIN AT THE BLUE NOTE ! Empty Re: ELEKTRIC BAND RIPPIN AT THE BLUE NOTE ! Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:44 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

The sound in the Blue Note is excellent. They have a great sound system, and engineers who know what they're doing. But the bottom line is that the players have to know where their volume knobs are at and play accordingly.

they make recordings at the club for their own label called Half Note Records. Boomer is on two with Donald Harrison and Ron Carter. I recommend them .

Peace, TED

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum