BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sit along side Gadd

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sit along side Gadd Empty Sit along side Gadd Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:47 am

Racman

Racman

Meaning a video that's recording Steve as if you're sitting along side. Ever wonder how he did those spicy-groove sambas with Chick and others? Well, you get to see it if you've not yet.

It starts at point 445 on the lever. Prior to that is a demonstration on using the brushes.

http://www.glennracoma.com

2Sit along side Gadd Empty Re: Sit along side Gadd Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:30 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

A true music master at work here.
Makes a damn box sound good!

I have this instructional video, Actually.

3Sit along side Gadd Empty Re: Sit along side Gadd Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:17 pm

Racman

Racman

Yes D, it's incredible when a master as Gadd plays drums deadened like that. It takes on a whole new meaning! However, with all respect, his recent performances aren't as sizzling as it was and that's understandable. I guess it's a normal process that age takes on but never the less, Steve still has a quality that's unsurpassed in my opinion.

But I would have to conclude what someone here mentioned, and it may have been you, that Billy Cobham (Boomer) is not affected by this process of aging as most are - he has always to some high level kept that youthful intensity in his performances regardless. Also, a lot that's been going on with upcoming drummers, and they are great stuff, can never reach a level as Boomer in the sense of style within a genre of music. When you think about it, lot of what's transpiring seems to be cycling into drumming that are categorized; in other words it's becoming generic but yes, impressive. Not Boomer, it's original and impressively powerful! I think its due to Boomer's commitment to authenticity and attack within his own musical compositions - it just seems to frame the totality of Boomer's level of professional musicianship that's timeless to those who recognize and appreciate talent that is unique and real.

And in my opinion.....this quality and level of musicianship is not being produced for varying reasons that I feel is inappropriate for well-mannered discussion.

My take here,
Rac

4Sit along side Gadd Empty Re: Sit along side Gadd Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:02 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

However, with all respect, his recent performances aren't as sizzling as it was and that's understandable. I guess it's a normal process that age takes on but never the less, Steve still has a quality that's unsurpassed in my opinion.

Well, two things to consider here, Rac. First, I'm not sure
Steve is playing music today that requires the same intensity
as days past. Second, Steve was in such high demand that
he got into doing a good amount of drugs to keep himself
meeting those demanding schedules.

He burned himself out unfortunately. What is Billy now, 72?
and playing like a 30-40 year old. Because by contrast he
learned to take care of his body and pace himself.

I know people personally who worked with Dennis Chambers
and they told me how he'd booze it up and smoke large amounts
of cigars. He also gained a Lot of weight and we all saw the
result of this. You cannot continue to use and abuse your body
and expect it to continue functioning the way it's supposed to.
And if anyone had a more grueling schedule than Gadd, it was
definitely Dennis.

It's tough enough staying healthy while doing the right things.
You start neglecting yourself and WHAMO!!!

5Sit along side Gadd Empty Re: Sit along side Gadd Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:49 pm

Racman

Racman

He burned himself out unfortunately. What is Billy now, 72?
and playing like a 30-40 year old. Because by contrast he
learned to take care of his body and pace himself.
D

Wonderful that you shared that vital piece of information where the bottom line lays. This is good, sound information that holds well, especially with upcoming drummers who deceive themselves in thinking that when you are on top, you can do anything you well please to your body and not recognize the negative ramification it holds that person to.

Recently, my nephew (22 years young) was 99.99% dead due to excessive eating of GMO foods and drugs. Besides his doctors giving him fair warning when he was 18 yrs to start changing his lifestyle, he ended up in the hospital as result of willfully neglecting doctors. However, I along with the Church prayed that God will give him another chance and of course he was granted that! - he was totally a blessed young man. How did I come to that? Because within 3 weeks time as I'm typing, he's up walking the floors of the hospital waiting to be released. My message to him was to always recognize God's grace and to live with an attitude of gratitude for all He is and done for us. Our bodies are temples of the living God and need to respect that gift from above.

I quote from the NIV;

1 Corinthians 6:19-20New International Version

19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

Shalom (peace),
Rac

6Sit along side Gadd Empty Re: Sit along side Gadd Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:50 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Rac, you know this, and I know it. But the reality
is not everyone does or even cares to. It's not a
matter of spirituality with these folks but simply
making the decision to take care of themselves...
.... Or not.

Many times, we have to just reach people right
where they are and allow God to do the rest.

7Sit along side Gadd Empty Re: Sit along side Gadd Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:44 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Steve learned his lesson.

I believe he lives in Arizona, now.
It's warmer and less humid.  I am
not sure what exactly he is doing
but I am sure he is working and
spending quality time with his
family and CLEAN.

Back in the 1970s-1980s, it was
crazy and much as D said.  Will Lee,
Richard Tee, Gary King, the Breckers
and others in the clan were all
stretched.  Everyone handles it
differently.  I am happy that he
got a hold of things and now, we
have the benefit of still having him.  
It was a special time.

I think we all look back and like some
things, while not others.  We are
who we are and with wisdom, realize
that it's all in good and bad that we
are arrived at the present.

Regards,

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

8Sit along side Gadd Empty Re: Sit along side Gadd Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:27 pm

Racman

Racman

What then is Spirituality? _ Pictures sharing my Greece Trip follows. Hope you enjoy!

In my words, it is the human search (restlessness) for reasoning living in a troubled world. It's a belief system that extends beyond the temporal (physical universe) - something bigger/wiser, smarter than ourselves. And when we find it we derive meaning, purpose and help in time of need.

According to current research 77% of the American population claims their spirituality associated to Christianity. Based on that, we can say there is a concern towards a spiritual perspective to life whether Christian or not. This position may be announced or hidden. We've come to see it as a path to a spiritual journey, if I may, that people are wandering down resulting in being unsatisfied. This journey D, is an age-old pursuit that dates back as far as the 4th and 5th centuries B.C. (before Christ) -again... it is the human pursuit to meaning and purpose.

D, just a month ago, I visited Athens, Greece and stood on a hill (Mars Hill - Acts 17:23) that the apostle Paul himself spent time dialoguing with the heavy weights of Greek philosophical reasoning. Athens, as we know, was a vital culture center with a world-famous university of social intelligentsia. During this period of history we discovered the Greek mindset as strong cultural molders of the Roman civilization which in fact dominantly influenced their social, political, artistic and cultural trends of the day. Paul's system of belief (christian) was up against all of that stuff - his views were likened to fish swimming upstream against the brutal currents of popular Greek logic. As I walked the stoned streets leading to the huge outdoor amphitheater of the great city of Ephesians, I could still sense, after centuries of weathering, the residue of pride and glorified-grandeur of the established Roman civilization - incredible feeling D! The discussions that Paul had with  the supreme body called the Arepagus, would remind them of a statue of their making that was inscribed: TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. At that point he pointed to the supremacy of the creator of the universe and it's spiritual habitation. Yes, that's a Christian view but non the less there is truth that as being part of that created physical universe there is this void in our being that is searching for meaning and purpose to life here and there after.

Conclusion:
The search for spirituality in the 21st c. is man's connection to something beyond the temporal, that sends him/her down the path. Are we part of that pavement in the love of God? But I totally understand our limitations here and am respectful of that. I was just trying to make a point as this relates to my nephew who was heading down the wrong path only to find himself later to be brought back on the right track. The results? There was something beyond the physical limitations of modern technology and medicine. My nephew was healed physically and more importantly.....spiritually. When he leaves that hospital he will never be the same my friend! Now can this hold true for Mr. Gadd or anyone in similar circumstances? Personally, I would say yes but that would be entirely dictated by one's own choice and view of life. My conclusion is based on my own personal experience and is a historical one at that.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here.

Shalom (peace),
Rac

Leaning on an Ephesian mini-column
Sit along side Gadd Ephesi11
Ephesian's Grand Amphitheater
Sit along side Gadd P1020610
The Great Metropolis of Athens
Sit along side Gadd Athenn10
Entrance into the Metropolis of Athens
Sit along side Gadd Athmet10
Me and my sweetheart on top of Mars Hill where the Apostle Paul dialogued with Greek philosophers
Sit along side Gadd Marshi10
Steps of apostle Paul going up to Mars Hill to meet with philosophers of Athens. I walked it!
Sit along side Gadd Marshi11

9Sit along side Gadd Empty Re: Sit along side Gadd Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:03 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Wonderful....  Shortly and simply, I'm just saying that
not everything has a spiritual agenda with everyone.  
Some are just trying to be healthy for the simple reason
of being so.

There are some who take the quest of health seeking as
a spiritual endeavor, but not everyone.  I happen to be one
of those who do not.  For me, being healthy is just good
for the sake of being healthy.  With the understanding however
that it all comes as a blessing from God.  And I guess from
that point of view that makes it spiritual to me as a believer.

But others couldn't care less and still through God's grace,
remain healthy.  Hence, the "spiritual" connection isn't
there....  

Beautiful shots from Greece.  The assistant pastor in our
church traveled to Greece said the the acoustic projection
in the Ephesian Grand Amphitheater is a marvel in itself and
that speakers could be clearly heard all around within it
obviously with no reinforced sound.

Thanks for posting, my friend.

10Sit along side Gadd Empty Re: Sit along side Gadd Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:01 pm

Racman

Racman

"The assistant pastor in our
church traveled to Greece said the the acoustic projection
in the Ephesian Grand Amphitheater is a marvel in itself."
D

That is absolutely true D. Friends had me do a mini-sermon (3 min.) for fun there - and it was fun!!  cheers  bounce  My voice projected as if there were two huge JBL speakers to my left and right. Friends on the very top row could hear me loud and clear - and I was not shouting but simply speaking with a bit of volume but not much at all if any! Incredible early Greco Roman audio technology indeed.

FYI: Moddona actually did a concert there as was told others as well. Of course they had to set up a stage with modern technology but can you imagine how much louder that would've been?!! LoL!!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts - God bless my friend!

Inside look to the great amphitheater of Ephesians

Sit along side Gadd P1020611

Sit along side Gadd Ephwal10

The entrance columns to the great city of Philippi - Philippians 1:1

Sit along side Gadd P1020110

Distant view of the great Ephesian amphitheater. Imagine the people tracking that area during an event.

Sit along side Gadd P1020612

11Sit along side Gadd Empty Re: Sit along side Gadd Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:53 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Awesome!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum