BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Where has the Time gone?

+2
Colin
boomer
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Where has the Time gone? Empty Where has the Time gone? Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:26 pm

boomer

Hello Everybody:
I am not sure how long it has been but, I think that it has been about 20 years or so. therefore, I thought to reach out to you guys and say Thank You for spending time here on the site over the past few years. It has been my honour to interact with you from time to time and to read many of the opinions presented here. The subject matter has been quite diverse, of course but that was to be expected.
My web site, www.billycobham.com will shut down tonight. I am still not sure if I will have another site developed, we'll see. Nonetheless, thanks for dropping by there from time to time as well. If the meta data were still being serviced I would have kept it but this will not happen according to the company that supports the site so we move on. As it is, I can't compete with FaceBook, Instagram and the rest anyways so, there we are.
Hopefully, our paths will cross in the coming days, weeks, months, somewhere in the world, if not via Zoom or Skype. With Covid on the scene who can say for sure............. I firstly wish you all a great "coming 2021" where you can achieve the goals you set out for yourselves while being healthy, keeping strong of mind and body and away from as much of the "negative aspects of life" as possible.
Ever Onward then!

Billy Cobham

Colin likes this post

2Where has the Time gone? Empty Re: Where has the Time gone? Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:34 pm

Colin

Colin

Bill
Thats Sad
but it does cost money to keep your site open,
so I fully understand.

You are so right about "Where has time gone?"
its like everything planned was destroyed by Covid-19.
Right Now the Vaccinations are not in good supply
unless you are in India as they have their own Oxfod-Zenneca Plant
managed to stockpile 50million.

Just staying alive matters so much
I go Food shopping at 8AM to avoid lots of people
I keep a mask on all the time.

Its great you have posted
that means so much to all your fans,

Keep On Keepin' On Billy Cobham.

Outtasight
Colin.

3Where has the Time gone? Empty Boomer here Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:11 pm

boomer

Colin:
Good to see you here!
I am hopeful that my budgetary restraints will relax soon but, as of now, I figure I’ve got to maintain funds for daily survival during these times of uncertainty. I am open to provide coaching support, should anyone on the site want me to work with them. Reach out to me here and on FaceBook messenger.
I’m currently working on an e-book that deals with rhythm section Internaction and developing one’s internal clock ⏰ so that the tempos are more in control by the player. The e-book is made up of a bunch of my tunes with and without drums, guitar, bass or keyboards (so one track with full band and the an m.m.o w/o the instruments previously stated). You can purchase one tune as a bundle or one tune minus just one of the instruments. There are groove tunes like Mirage, Stratus, Red Baron, Kinky Dee, Light at the End of the tunnel, Street Urchin, Crosswinds, or “odd meter” pieces like Spectrum, Taurian Matador, Tierra del Fuego and more. This is what I will work from with students. I will be teaching on my Zoom Page and working from my home studio.
I will also be checking in here from time to time so poke me if you or anyone else might be interested in my program. Be well Colin and stay safe. Boomer.

Colin likes this post

4Where has the Time gone? Empty Re: Where has the Time gone? Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:00 pm

ptit-philou

ptit-philou

Hello Billy !

Nice to see your post there ;-) Sad for the website, but I understand it. Main thing I hope to know is where I could catch you again sometime live (it has been a long time since last time, it was in October 2011 at "Nancy Jazz Pulsations" in France, what a concert it was ! I will always remember one of your drum solo from there ! Finishing with "no sound" if I can say that !) :-)

Of course, with covid around the world, that's not anytime soon, but I still hope to see you again oneday.

I've bought your last two albums some months ago, and there's so much to hear in it, not the easiest one to come in, but great !

Also readed your book, loved it and hoping to here more projects with big band again one day (I had the chance to assist one of them in Germany at the time of the Mahvishnu big band project directed by Colin Towns).

For the occasion, I just share with you an old photo from a Culture Mix concert in 2005 Smile

Where has the Time gone? 391_bi10

Happy new year 2021 !

https://lemmingssuicidemyth.bandcamp.com

5Where has the Time gone? Empty Re: Where has the Time gone? Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:01 am

boomer

Phillip, thanks for reaching out. Hope to see you at one of my performances in the not too distant future. Be well and stay safe. Bill cobham

6Where has the Time gone? Empty Re: Where has the Time gone? Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:32 am

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

It is good to see you, Boomer, Phil and Colin.

Crazy times, for sure.  

The news of the shutting down of your site is
sad for me as well.  Perhaps we can meet here
every now and then.  

I know that I have not been around much
lately but I have been a little busy with trying
to continue to work to support the family and
keeping in touch with my siblings and parents
in Nevada and NYC.

This COVID thing - what can I say?

We're going to have to see what comes.

I want to send out my regards to all you.

P

Colin likes this post

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

7Where has the Time gone? Empty Up dates and Upgrades Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:07 am

boomer

Pete:
Firstly, Happy New Year to you and yours! Hopefully, we can all see a positive reversal of much of what's become the "norm" in 2020.
I am still wrestling with the idea of closing down billycobham.com........... It has become such a part of me in a way that words don't do justice........ We'll see what tomorrow brings on that one. I am optimistic about the future with it in the frame.

The Art of the Rhythm Section Retreat will come to you via Zoom. We should start in April of this year with monthly 2 hour talk and performance sessions that cover creative aspects like performance as well as nuts and bolts of understanding how to make an instrument of quality and everything in between. The title of the project is "Drumming in a Stress Free environment". My first guest will be Dennis Chambers. My co-host will be Dom Famularo. All of this will take place from our studios at home, at a designated time about once a month. Just working on content, sponsoring, etc.

The one thing that this COVID period has done for me is force me to think constructively and productively just how to create something positive out of an otherwise negative situation. If I have my way, I will be able to reach out to you and the the rhythm section community via ZOOM, Skype and YouTube with valuable information and in general, food for thought.
Hang in there Pete and extend my best regards to family.

Bill C.

8Where has the Time gone? Empty Re: Where has the Time gone? Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:14 am

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Boomer,

That is exciting news and hopeful for
drummers everywhere.

Great lineup. We'll try and back you
up here.

I will visit as I can. Things continue
to develop on all fronts.

It is good to see you.

Regards,

P

9Where has the Time gone? Empty Boomer here Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:39 am

boomer

At the moment I am proof reading my M.M.O's to make sure that they are clean and accessible by prospective participants. I feel that I can have about 30 compositions available to play along with for future study. It's nice to revisit these ideas from the 70's to the present and spruce them up a bit. They bring back memories of all types and become kindling for stories and reflections on my past. It's nice to finally feel comfortable working with tunes like "Sliding By", "Kinky Dee", "Street Urchin", "Torpedo Flo", "Red & Yellow Cabriolet", Dessicated Coconuts", "Moon Germs", "Obliquely Speaking", "Mirage", Saipuakivikaupias", Cancun Market", "Stratus", & "Red Baron" in an educational platform. Participants will be able to access me playing the track then take a shot at playing to the same track w/o hearing me. 'Of course there is a "click" guide track to keep the player honest, one way or the other. Click tracks can be worked with during performance if the. artist has confidence in his/her ability to phrase......... another story for another day.
Be well Pete.

Boomer Rolling Eyes

10Where has the Time gone? Empty Re: Where has the Time gone? Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:04 am

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Boomer,

That sounds great.  Let's see if visitors don't spill onto
the site and see what you will be doing.

If I still played the drums, I would have the best time
working these but I can picture it in my mind - how
I would approach these and what I would do with them
if I did not have a third of me missing.  I can imagine
everyone else out out there will absolutely love these.

Most of my day is spent doing research into everything
that is happening (trading/work) and the centralization
taking place. I do listen to music and when I do, I ex-
perience my escape from all these things.

My family is still OK (my parents are 92 and 97) and
they are at Ground Zero.  Nothing.  I am thankful.

There is a kind of new development in health having
learned about the work that a particular doctor has
done having to do with the lectin protein. It is very
interesting study and explains a wide variety of
maladies and also completes the work that Davis
did years ago with his revelation of the gluten protein.

Anyway, I will try and visit as much as I can.  

My best to you, of course and to everyone out there!

sunny

Regards,

11Where has the Time gone? Empty Re: Where has the Time gone? Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:25 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Boomer,

What will be the instrumentation on these?
Will you have special guests somehow? I
know there is the digital alternative.

Perhaps remote?

I particularly have etched in my heart of
hearts - your collaboration with Milcho and
Moon Germs. Part of my drumming life!

La Guernica will also be one of my all-time
faves. Fabulous. Love Khan on it.

afro

Last edited by Admin (Pete) on Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Colin and Alex Sanguinetti like this post

12Where has the Time gone? Empty Re: Where has the Time gone? Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:59 am

boomer

Pete:
I will decide on my guests as soon as I am comfortable with the template i will have created.

More later

BC

13Where has the Time gone? Empty HI Everyone ! Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:39 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

My apologies for being scarce on this forum, but when you feel you have nothing to say it's easy to remain silent.

Boomer I wanted to point out that Flash will no longer be supported within a few days so that portion of your site may no longer work, which is something you will have to take into consideration.

Looking forward to this collaboration with Dennis Chambers ! Also looking forward to seeing some live music again. Let's hope the vaccines make the difference.

I'm grateful to you and to Pete for providing the opportunity to interact about drums in general and your music in particular, and for the friendships I have been able to cultivate because of it.

I wish each of you the best !!!

TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

14Where has the Time gone? Empty Re: Where has the Time gone? Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:59 pm

boomer

Ted:
Thanks for the heads up regarding Flash and my billycobham.com site. I still have not decided what to do about the site’s future but I expect that I will need it, in some form or another in the coming months. Therefore, I will rebuild it soon.
As the days go by I am preparing my program ready for launch. More on this soon.
Be well and stay safe!

Bill C.

15Where has the Time gone? Empty Re: Where has the Time gone? Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:16 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Hey, Ted.

Hope you are healthy in all this. It has
been a long time. So much water under
the bridges.

My very best to you.

Regards,

16Where has the Time gone? Empty Re: Where has the Time gone? Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:25 am

Colin

Colin

Admin (Pete) wrote:Boomer,

What will be the instrumentation on these?
Will you have special guests somehow? I
know there is the digital alternative.

Perhaps remote?

I particularly have etched in my heart of
hearts - your collaboration with Milcho and
Moon Germs. Part of my drumming life!

La Guernica will also be one of my all-time
faves. Fabulous. Love Khan on it.

afro

Hey Pete
that great 1978 Recording "Simplicity Of Expression" came out on a 2on1 CD
by Sony UK.

I also love Early Libra
ending as the String section conducted by Jay Chattaway
hold their notes while Billy Cobham has a Drum Solo
with his Octobans.
The Whole Recording has a Great Remix Engineer - Bob Clearmountain.
Then at the Power Station NYC.
The Engineers on the tracks are Dennis McKay (Electric Lady, Manta Sounds) Tim Geelan, (CBS Recording studio) Doug Epstein (Media sound) & Bob Clearmountain (Power Station studios)
Produced by Jay Chattaway and Billy Cobham.

Utter Bliss

Outtasight
Colin.

17Where has the Time gone? Empty Simplicity of Expression Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:31 am

boomer

I never met Bob Clearmountain and I did not know that he remixed the album........... But then, I was just one artist of many who were treated as less than a second class citizen in the entertainment business back then.
I am working on this music at the moment and will let you know when I have sonic files to share Pete and Colin.
Be well and stay safe.

Bill Cobham

18Where has the Time gone? Empty Re: Where has the Time gone? Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:46 am

Colin

Colin

boomer wrote:I never met Bob Clearmountain and I did not know that he remixed the album........... But then, I was just one artist of many who were treated as less than a second class citizen in the entertainment business back then.
I am working on this music at the moment and will let you know when I have sonic files to share Pete and Colin.
Be well and stay safe.

Bill Cobham

Yes  I understand the record deals
but 1978 still amazing times
to have that Big String Section [David Nadien, Matthew Raimondi,
Richard Hedrickson, Alfred V. Brown,
Peter Dimitriades, Anahid Aiemin,
Louis Shulman, Johnathan  Abramowitz,
& Charles McCraken) 
hold their notes
while you give a fast Drum solo  and Great   that Bob made sure the Octobans
came out in clear Stereo, in the final mix.  (I assume with  Jay Chattaway in the studio with him)
He was on one track as the Main Engineer  that was done at the Power Station studio, I think.

I have watched Bob on You Tube from 2014, Nice Engineer.
He managed to spend a extra 10 mins  on recordings to get them into  Surround Sound  Files.

Even a Recent Video  from Dec 2020, shows his talent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN6cYkvd__8

Some Billy Cobham's best Mixing
is on the Billy Cobham/George Duke Live CD 1976 Atlantic. 24bit.
"Frankenstein Goes to The Disco"
Drums and Moog drum.

Outtasight
Colin.

19Where has the Time gone? Empty Thanks Boomer!!!! Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:41 pm

Racman

Racman

Thank you Boomer for all the many years of your incredible musical input in the music world. It inspired me throughout my years as a drummer. You will always be an inspiration to me. And thank you for coming to Blue Note Hawaii a few years ago that I got to see/hear you live in the real. Meeting you in the live was so valuable to me at a time when I was in a challenging journey in life. And of course participating with group members here playing along your CD music (Conundrum) was also beneficial in strengthening my musical abilities. All is positive! Thank you!!!! alien  bounce
Racman

Thank you and God bless you.

Where has the Time gone? Boomer15
Where has the Time gone? Boomer13
Where has the Time gone? Boomer14

http://www.glennracoma.com

20Where has the Time gone? Empty Re: Where has the Time gone? Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:49 am

Colin

Colin

Crazy times in England.
A row in a local parish council meeting  using Zoom
got these 2 singers  Flo & Jo  to make a musical on it.

Last Thursday, a young person edited bits of the meeting
on a twitter post it went viral overnight in UK and the World.
Now a longer edit is on You Tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgGmYeAm0jk&feature=emb_rel_end

Outtasight
Colin.

21Where has the Time gone? Empty Re: Where has the Time gone? Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:33 am

Colin

Colin

https://twitter.com/JonathanPieNews/status/1381945173396054020

33 Second's Of British Satire
The Ending is well funny.

Outtasight
Colin.

22Where has the Time gone? Empty Re: Where has the Time gone? Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:49 am

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Hey, Colin.

Hope you are well through all of this.

Rac,

You and the Boomer look great in that
photo! We are all lucky to follow him.

Regards,

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]