BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jazz Times: Letters Page : Nasty comments on BC

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Colin

Colin

The Jazz Times
with Chick Corea on the cover
Page 16 has a Nasty letter about Billy Cobham.
Headed ' Billy We Hardly Knew , Ye'

I will not print it.

He used some words
Bill made about Tony Williams
when he was young.
And this letter writer has not
understood it correct.

Nasty Letter
There is always one.

Outtasight
Colin.

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Well that's very sad to read that Colin. Since I don't subscribe to that magazine and certainly don't wish to patronize one that has something derogatory about my favorite artist, I can't say much more until I can read what exactly was said.

I understand your not wanting to print it here, but perhaps you could post it somewhere where others could download it ? Maybe use Yousendit.com , e-mail it to someone's address, and they will put a link up good for 100 downloads for free. I'm sure there are other services, too that will do that.

or else, just post it. Then we can all comment about it. And if it's something that was said 30 years ago, who cares ? I saw Boomer and Tony playing on the same bill once, and they were both incredible. And I saw no animosity either.

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

Colin

Colin

I have sent the Published Letter
on a PM to you.

I do not subscribe to it
But I was in Borders who import
the most US mags
and Chick Corea: Artist of the Year
on the cover, sold it to me.

Outtasight
Colin.

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Thanks Colin for sending me that. I appreciate it !

In reading it, I didn't see anything that was all that bad. And the article doesn't really indicate when Billy said those things, nor does it include the full quote. Just words from that quote.

And he only said stuff about the man personally, not about his drumming ability. Since Billy knew him personally, he is entitled to make those statements if that's how he feels. I never met Tony, though my brother spent a few hours with him backstage before a gig n NY. Tony gave him a pair of sticks for me. My brother's impression of him was that he was very depressed, especially about the music business. Pete studied with him, and he would probably corroborate that.

People are misquoted or their statements taken out of context so often that it's a wonder anybody does interviews anymore.

I think you should post the letter. It's really not that bad. Thanks for that. Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

Colin

Colin

You can post it Ted
if you think it is OK.

Outtasight
Colin.

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

I was with Tony in the mid-late 1970's.
I was in my teens and nothing, on the