BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Five Peace Band @ Rose Theatre Lincoln Center last night !

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Well finally, the nine month wait for this concert is over ! That's how long ago I bought these tickets, and I was fortunate enough to land front row.

The room is a brand new one, first time I've visited since it was built a couple of years ago. It's located on the 5th floor of the Time Warner building and is used for Jazz @ Lincoln Center. It's a beautiful place, and is specially acoustically designed for optimum sound. Medium sized, holds about 1,000 I'd say.

The first set was about an hour and comprised 3 tunes: Raju by McLaughlin, the Disguise by Corea, and New Blues Old Bruise by McLaughlin.

The sound was clear and impeccable. The playing was furious and superior, and the band was clearly enjoying themselves as evidenced by the ever-present smiles on all their faces.

There was a short intermission and the second set began. This set was also 3 tunes: Senor C S by McLaughlin, which began as a duet by Chick and John alone. then a new piece written by Chick called Hymn to Andromeda which was very long and had many avant-garde elements to it with Chick playing the grand piano strings, Brian Blade playing several percussion instruments, and Kenny Garrett blowing his lungs out during his extended solo. The last piece was a Jackie McLean penned song called Dr. Jackle.

They came out for one encore which was a Miles Davis piece called It's About That Time. In total , they performed about 2 1/2 hours. So it's easy to see that since the number of tunes was only 7, the amount of soloing was substantial.

For me to see the leaders of my two favorite bands of all time perform together was a once-in-a-lifetime experience which I can now treasure. Kenny Garrett was great as always. I'd never seen Christian McBride live before, and his playing was exceptional both on fretless electric and acoustic double bass, complete with bowing.

When I originally bought the tickets, Vinnie Colaiuta was advertised as the drummer. I was very disappointed when it was announced a few weeeks back that he wouldn't be playing the New York dates and some others due to a prior commitment with Jeff Beck. And I had not heard of Brian Blade before this. But I have to say that Brian was more than adequate for this job. His playing was frenzied and energizing. He used a small kit which looked like an old Gretsch one to me. {I will post a picture ]. A four piece, with 3 cymbals. Bass drum was very small, I would say 16 inch. His posture was very, very low, almost awkward looking at times, but he definitely got the job done. His style I would say emanates from a cross between Jack Dejohnette and Elvin Jones if you can picture that. I got to meet him after the show, and he was very nice and very humble. I was very happy to have seen him play with this band.

I will post some photos of everything. One of the shots will be John's pedal set-up. John didn't use an amp, believe it or not, but went directly into the P A thru these pedals. First time I've ever seen him do that, but he still sounded great.

It was such a blessing to have seen this show..........

Peace, TED

[img]Five Peace Band @ Rose Theatre Lincoln Center last night ! With_c10[/img]

[url=Five Peace Band @ Rose Theatre Lincoln Center last night ! With_j12

[url=Five Peace Band @ Rose Theatre Lincoln Center last night ! With_b11

http://www.drumminfool.com

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

[url=Five Peace Band @ Rose Theatre Lincoln Center last night ! Brian_13

[url=Five Peace Band @ Rose Theatre Lincoln Center last night ! John_w10

[url=Five Peace Band @ Rose Theatre Lincoln Center last night ! With_c18

[url=Five Peace Band @ Rose Theatre Lincoln Center last night ! With_g15

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

[url=Five Peace Band @ Rose Theatre Lincoln Center last night ! John_s10

[url=Five Peace Band @ Rose Theatre Lincoln Center last night ! John_a11

[url=Five Peace Band @ Rose Theatre Lincoln Center last night ! Kenny_10

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

[url=Five Peace Band @ Rose Theatre Lincoln Center last night ! Johnch11

D. Slam

D. Slam

Very cool... Thanks, Ted.

Who's the lady?

Walter

Walter

D. Slam wrote:Very cool... Thanks, Ted.

Who's the lady?

That' Gayle Moran - Mrs. Chick Corea

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Thank you Walter.

And a member of both Return to Forever and the Mahavishnu Orchestra.

And who's the lady in your new avatar D ? That doesn't look like Audrey ! Peace, TED

D. Slam

D. Slam

Ted E. Bear wrote:Thank you Walter.

And a member of both Return to Forever and the Mahavishnu Orchestra.

And who's the lady in your new avatar D ? That doesn't look like Audrey ! Peace, TED

We won't discuss that...... Naw just kidding... That was Florence, Audrey's sister. jocolor

Audrey's back now! Laughing

stephane

Hi Ted,
and thanks again for sharing!!!
ps:i have the cd with Vinnie and i'd like to hear Brian ... he is so great!!! Peace Stef

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum