BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

How's the Demon Drive Test Going?

+3
Admin (Pete)
drumman
Swirler
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How's the Demon Drive Test Going? Empty How's the Demon Drive Test Going? Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Swirler

Any comments on this pedal?

2How's the Demon Drive Test Going? Empty Re: How's the Demon Drive Test Going? Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:35 am

drumman

I am not too impressed with the pedals most of these companies are producing.
There are already many fine pedals out there, it is just a bit redundant.
Drum companies think they have to keep churning out product every year and what
they have is fine already.

It is the player not the pedal, look what John Bonham did on a Speed King,
or Buddy Rich, Louie Bellson and Tony Williams.

3How's the Demon Drive Test Going? Empty Re: How's the Demon Drive Test Going? Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:14 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

I have been waiting for a set to come in
from Gene, at Pearl. Even he doesn't have
a set. They are that back-ordered. I am
checking in, with him, every few weeks.

The pedal looks good but I need to see
how they feel and if the 8 positions are
sufficient. I am very curious. From what
I have gathered, they've addressed all
the issues that I brought up, over the
years. We'll see.

As soon as I get them, I will post.

Regards,

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

4How's the Demon Drive Test Going? Empty Re: How's the Demon Drive Test Going? Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:46 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Drum companies think they have to keep churning out product every year and what
they have is fine already.

That is PRECISELY what they must do to stay in business, drumman. In R and D and manufacturing, it's all about reinventing the wheel, from skyscrapers to safety pins and everything in between. Should any of these companies begin to rest on the laurels of what they've already done they would soon be left behind and out of business shortly thereafter.

The Speed king is a great pedal but you can count on one hand how many players still use them with fingers to spare. The players are alotted more in their playing abilities in part because the equipment is better and alots them this. It certainly hasn't hurt. And as the player evolves, so shall the instruments and equipment he or she plays and uses to play.

"Invention is the mother of necessity." It's the nature of the beast.

D.

5How's the Demon Drive Test Going? Empty Re: How's the Demon Drive Test Going? Fri May 01, 2009 3:30 am

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Good point Don,

I myself am glad that drum companies keep pushing the concepts of design because everyone has a different feel, and it's nice to have so many options today.

D.L.

6How's the Demon Drive Test Going? Empty Re: How's the Demon Drive Test Going? Fri May 01, 2009 11:35 am

drumman

I don't like Speed Kings either, just an example of how good technique can be used on anything.
I still have my older Yamaha bass drum pedal from the 90's and I have not had to do a thing
to them, except occasionally spray them with WD40 to keep the chain and moving parts working
smooth.

I personally don't waste money on new pedals, if my old ones are working great.
Not everybody is the same, if you enjoy getting a new pedal every few years than
that is cool too.
I think the longer you have a pedal, the better it plays in though.
The new ones take a while to break in, in my experience.

7How's the Demon Drive Test Going? Empty Re: How's the Demon Drive Test Going? Fri May 01, 2009 3:58 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

drumman wrote:I don't like Speed Kings either, just an example of how good technique can be used on anything.
I still have my older Yamaha bass drum pedal from the 90's and I have not had to do a thing
to them, except occasionally spray them with WD40 to keep the chain and moving parts working
smooth.

I personally don't waste money on new pedals, if my old ones are working great.
Not everybody is the same, if you enjoy getting a new pedal every few years than
that is cool too.
I think the longer you have a pedal, the better it plays in though.
The new ones take a while to break in, in my experience.

That's all good, drumman. Just so we are of the understanding that not everyone sees it as a waste of money
and that, that is your own personal point of view directed for you personally.

Equipment as well as any given technique can and does aid in the evelution and enhancement of performance.
You don't see sprinters and distance runners attemptinng to run in Converse sneekers.
It takes more than just "good technique" to pull certain things off.... Whatever that is..? Question

8How's the Demon Drive Test Going? Empty Re: How's the Demon Drive Test Going? Sat May 02, 2009 2:25 pm

kenny

kenny

i don't use the dbl these days for anything i'm playing but considering trying it out on the balkan music for the odd time signatures and see if it's usefull. I can envision marking the groupings of 2s and 3s between the two feet. I'll see.

I would like to upgrade to a good dbl pedal at some point for fusion and funk.
I don't care for my dw7000. maybe i could adjust it better but it's not very fast compared to some others I've played. I just need to check around. I liked an iron cobra i tried. But i don't want to spend much money. I think i could get a good deal.

I use a pearl single pedal i got for 20 bucks and it is fast and reliable.

http://www.balkanmusic.org

9How's the Demon Drive Test Going? Empty Re: How's the Demon Drive Test Going? Sun May 03, 2009 10:13 am

drumman

"It takes more than just "good technique" to pull certain things off.... Whatever that is..?"

What do you need other that "good technique", alien technology?
How else do you "pull certain things off", but through "good technique"?
Practice and good physical conditioning are all part of developing your foot.
The pedal helps but, I think Boomer would agree, the person makes the difference.

It is pointless for me to say anymore since the general mentality on this forum is to say
the opposite of the other person, regardless if the point is valid or not.

Good luck with your bass drum technique, if you want to believe that a pedal can make you
faster without practice and dedication to obtain speed,
then the drum industry can thank their AD agency's hype machine,
they have done their job well.

10How's the Demon Drive Test Going? Empty Re: How's the Demon Drive Test Going? Sun May 03, 2009 10:44 am

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Hi Drumman,
I think you might have taken what Don said the wrong way. I'm sure the intentions are all good here, and I agree with you that there is no better way to improve your technique than through hard practice and dedication.

But- A good pedal will take the technique you've built up, and aid you in taking it higher. We all use mylar heads today..why not calfskin?
Because mylar is more durable, you have a better tuning range, the weather doesn't affect them, the rebound is better...see my point?

Drum products are no different than automobiles, and coffee machines....I don't use a VCR anymore either........Differences of opinion are good, and welcome on this board. There are no ill intentions.

Have a great day- Very Happy

11How's the Demon Drive Test Going? Empty Re: How's the Demon Drive Test Going? Mon May 04, 2009 5:02 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

Good luck with your bass drum technique, if you want to believe that a pedal can make you
faster without practice and dedication to obtain speed,

drumman,

I challenge you to show me ANYWHERE in this forum where I wrote such a statement! You seem to have this thing about twisting what is said when someone challenges or disagrees with you.

And you're right! If the kitchen's too hot then stay out! This is a place where we can come to agree and it is also a place where we can disagree and debate. If you have a problem with your posts being questioned and/or challenged, then I suggest you not post.

And just let me clarify this in closing.... Rest assured that no one has done a job on me! In all likelyhood I was playing drums when you were still a tadpole swimming around in the dark waiting to be released... Long before you could even fathom what a foot was, much less a foot pedal. So don't insult my knowledge of this art form and the goings on therein. I've been around the block with this more than a few times and I'm not so easily duped simply because I understand and respect where and how far drum technology has come.

D.L.,

A good pedal will take the technique you've built up, and aid you in taking it higher. We all use mylar heads today..why not calfskin?
Because mylar is more durable, you have a better tuning range, the weather doesn't affect them, the rebound is better...see my point?

Drum products are no different than automobiles, and coffee machines....I don't use a VCR anymore either........Differences of opinion are good, and welcome on this board. There are no ill intentions.

You are absolutely correct in your examples. earlier I wrote:

The players are alotted more in their playing abilities in part because the equipment is better and allows them this. It certainly hasn't hurt. And as the player evolves, so shall the instruments and equipment he or she plays and uses to play.

You don't see sprinters and distance runners attemptinng to run in Converse sneekers.

I think drumman is so busy taking things personally, even to the extreme that he doesn't even realize it's him whose the one missing the valid points....

Ok, NOT my problem... Moving on!

12How's the Demon Drive Test Going? Empty Re: How's the Demon Drive Test Going? Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:46 pm

Asaph

Asaph

D. Slam, actually, in doing some pedal research recently I found that tons of drummers continue to use and love their Speed Kings, whether new ones or 30 years old. They sell well on ebay, and there are guys out there who buy old ones and refurbish them. I just got one off ebay to place its action up against the Trick and Drumnetics I also ordered, just for comparison's sake of compression action pedals.

http://drumsinhisheart.weebly.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum