BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

JIM CHAPIN

+4
Woody
fusionfunk
Ted E. Bear
Admin (Pete)
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1JIM CHAPIN Empty JIM CHAPIN Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:49 pm

boomer

He was one of the all time great personalities of the world of drumming. His book is one of the first I used as reference in my studies while in the military and beyond those days. He will be sorely missed around the drum shops and percussion conferences and conventions through out the world............"Mr. Moeller Method", I would privately call him as that was the direction he promoted and, although I did not take that route those were and are ideas that I respect today.
Jim Chapin: July 23, 1919 to July 4, 2009............... Another good one gone but not without a serious musical legacy for us to embrace. Sad

2JIM CHAPIN Empty Re: JIM CHAPIN Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:13 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Wow. Talk about impact on drums.

Sheesh.

I use a combination of French and
now, with left-hand trad-lead, the
Moeller Method.

Thanks for all that you have done
for the drums.

RIP, Jim.

Last edited by Admin (Pete) on Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

3JIM CHAPIN Empty Re: JIM CHAPIN Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:09 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Wow! I did not know Jim had passed... Unlike you, Billy, the Moeller technique is something that I do use. But I was actually using it before I realized what it was or before I had even heard of the method through Mr. Chapin. It was just a very natural thing for me to rock my wrist and use the upstroke in that fashion when I played 16ths on the hi hat or if I simply wanted to convey a pulse. Nothing's really changed except after seeing it taught as Mr. Moeller's developed technique, I studied it and adopted it even more closely with a bit more added knowledge about what I was doing...

Any way you slice it, Jim Chapin is a major contribution to the drumming community.

Rest in peace, Mr. Chapin.

D.

4JIM CHAPIN Empty Re: JIM CHAPIN Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:32 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

I remember going to a drum clinic back in the late 80's which featured Jim Chapin and Joe Morello. Jim was still fairly spry but Joe Morello was not in great health and walking with a cane.

At first I thought the clinic was going to be disappointing because of that, but once those two guys climbed behind their kits, it was another matter entirely. All kinds of ass-kicking ensued.

I will treasure the memory of that day, and those two great drummers giving us the benefit of their wisdom.

RIP Jim Chapin and thank you for all you've given to the world of drumming. Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

5JIM CHAPIN Empty Re: JIM CHAPIN Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:56 pm

Woody

Woody

Another legend in the drum industry gone.

R.I.P. Jim Chapin

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/robertwoodbury

6JIM CHAPIN Empty Re: JIM CHAPIN Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:06 am

fusionfunk

fusionfunk

What a bummer. I lost a friend of sorts, as I studied briefly with Jim. He was one of the nicest people I ever met. He truly cared about his students, something I always tried to do in my own teaching studio.

I use both his books to this day, as they are the best for jazz independence.

He will truly be missed.

R.I.P. Jim, you were one of kind.

Russ

7JIM CHAPIN Empty Re: JIM CHAPIN Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:43 pm

Suss

Suss

Advanced Techniques in Modern Drumming - Vol II/Indendence - was like a Bible to me when Boomer first recommended I get a hold of it back in the 70s. Since then, I honestly can say that there isn't one thing I do behind the kit (independence wise) that cannot in one way or another be attributed to what I learned when working through Mr. Chapin's voluminous material.

Volume II (Independence) is inexhaustible. It somehow (with it's laminated sheets overlayed onto lessons that at first glance were totally unrelated) speaks to how a drummer's performance is only limited by that person's attitude toward musical possiblities. Pure genious on Mr. Chapin's part. What a system of learning and appreciation!

Thank you Jim for your contribution and legacy - and thank you Boomer for recognizing what would best benefit my musical growth.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnsussewell  http://www.facebook.co

8JIM CHAPIN Empty Jim C Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:43 am

boomer

A great man and personality. It's a strange feeling to look around and not feel the presence of a Jim Chapin or Michael Jackson in my social environment............... pale I don't believe that I can fill the void but, I have to try. scratch They made very lasting impressions on me........ They are already missed.
Boomer

9JIM CHAPIN Empty Re: JIM CHAPIN Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:40 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

boomer wrote:A great man and personality. It's a strange feeling to look around and not feel the presence of a Jim Chapin or Michael Jackson in my social environment............... pale I don't believe that I can fill the void but, I have to try. scratch They made very lasting impressions on me........ They are already missed.
Boomer

These are the kinds of losses where the void can never truly be filled, Billy. I believe that the best way we can honor their memory and legacy is to be the best that we can be.

D.

boomer

Quincy's name popped up but I wonder, was he in attendance at the ceremonies? No Prince or did I miss his remarks? Can anyone fill me in on those questions?

And yes, Don I am in accord.

Boomer

11JIM CHAPIN Empty Re: JIM CHAPIN Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:59 pm

Woody

Woody

I read this about your questions, Billy.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/MichaelJackson/story?id=8027008&page=1

Michael Jackson's Memorial: Who Bailed and Why.

12JIM CHAPIN Empty Re: JIM CHAPIN Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:05 pm

Woody

Woody

13JIM CHAPIN Empty Re: JIM CHAPIN Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:40 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Here are my thoughts on Ms. Ross, Ms. Taylor and Mr. Jones:

Like me, they also likely thought the event would turn into a kind of showbiz gala and party.... A celebration if you will. Like the two of them, I did not want to see this because in my heart it should have been and was for me a time of mourning. The bottom line is someone(s) lost a friend, son, brother, father, uncle, cousin, nephew and so on.

My personal belief is that this is how Quincy and Liz felt. They didn't want to send him off with a bang, they just want to grieve for a dear friend that they've just lost. Same goes for Diana Ross. They surely did not want to be a part of what they likely figured would be a circus. I'm happy to say that while watching the entire memorial service yesterday, none of these fears came to pass for me. It was done and handled with the respect and dignity that Michael deserved, a beautiful and emotionally moving send off indeed.

I can tell you that when they brought the casket out while the ensemble sang that old time spiritual: "Were going to see the King", I could no longer hold back the tears. The ceremony, I thought was surely befitting the circumstances. A very human element came out in all of this.

I wish people would realize these things and remember to lock the barn door BEFORE the horse bolts. All the wonderful and beautiful acknowledgments seem to come out about a person AFTER he or she has died... I struggle with this.

It's not often that the Lord blesses the world with an extraordinary gift.... And what do we do? Instead of embracing and accepting it with open arms of appreciation, we scrutinize and look for faults and cracks in the armor, of which we ALL have. And when we find them, we stick our dagger in deep and work it around until the integrity of that armor becomes so weak and fragile that it's only a matter of time before it falls apart. Yes, I do believe that Michael may have perpetuated this to at least some extent.... But since age 5 he's lived in a fishbowl... What else did he know to do? In any case, I hope we all learn to appreciate the gifts that God bestows on us....

"The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away."I now know that, that passage extends beyond just the one who's been given life and then had that life taken. Concerning Michael and Mr. Chapin, We've ALL had a little piece of life taken from us and we are all losers in this regard.

D.

Last edited by D. Slam on Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:55 am; edited 9 times in total

14JIM CHAPIN Empty Re: JIM CHAPIN Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:18 am

boomer

OK, that all makes sense regarding "Q" and the rest......... I can definitely understand why he chose to avoid this memorial ceremony. Wow, MJ was such a magnate in attracting the masses............ In this case I do believe that there are few in this world who will ever fit that mould although there are some who come close.
Don: Your thoughts are very succinctly put forth.
Woody: thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Boomer

15JIM CHAPIN Empty Re: JIM CHAPIN Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:37 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

A very dangerous thing happened to Michael, Billy. Michael the man actually transcended the music, at least in the eyes of the world. Man is temporary, music is eternal. NO human being can carry such a load, nor sustain, such a position.

16JIM CHAPIN Empty Re: JIM CHAPIN Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:12 pm

boomer

Hey Don:
that's why we just play drums in the band! afro

17JIM CHAPIN Empty Re: JIM CHAPIN Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:59 pm

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Hahaaa!

We make it happen though bounce

18JIM CHAPIN Empty Re: JIM CHAPIN Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:02 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

I don't know, Billy... You write and play somethings that sounds as if they came from someone that's pretty immortal to me... farao lol!

19JIM CHAPIN Empty Re: JIM CHAPIN Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:53 am

boomer

Hey Don: didn't I tell you that the trick to what I do hoovers around mirrors and slight of hand?????? OH, and just being a frustrated point guard with absolutely NO vertical leaping abilities. The latter is due to tooooo much coffee, pound cake and milk while watching a good movie. Smile But! I'm in the process of a major alteration in my daily food diet: Broccoli.......... It might help me get back on track to maintaining evenly applied pressed rolls.......... with lots of butter....... cheers

20JIM CHAPIN Empty Re: JIM CHAPIN Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:59 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

boomer wrote:Hey Don: didn't I tell you that the trick to what I do hoovers around mirrors and slight of hand?????? OH, and just being a frustrated point guard with absolutely NO vertical leaping abilities. The latter is due to tooooo much coffee, pound cake and milk while watching a good movie. Smile But! I'm in the process of a major alteration in my daily food diet: Broccoli.......... It might help me get back on track to maintaining evenly applied pressed rolls.......... with lots of butter....... cheers

We are/were on the same
wavelength, Boomer.

45-days and a new man.
Wishing you the best!

Regards,

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

21JIM CHAPIN Empty Re: JIM CHAPIN Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:14 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

boomer wrote:Hey Don: didn't I tell you that the trick to what I do hoovers around mirrors and slight of hand?????? OH, and just being a frustrated point guard with absolutely NO vertical leaping abilities. The latter is due to tooooo much coffee, pound cake and milk while watching a good movie. Smile But! I'm in the process of a major alteration in my daily food diet: Broccoli.......... It might help me get back on track to maintaining evenly applied pressed rolls.......... with lots of butter....... cheers

HA, HA, HAAAA!!! I love it! lol!

22JIM CHAPIN Empty Re: JIM CHAPIN Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:30 am

fusionfunk

fusionfunk

I'd go easy on the butter, Billy. I hear it slows down paradiddles! lol!

23JIM CHAPIN Empty Re: JIM CHAPIN Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:27 pm

Suss

Suss

fusionfunk wrote:

I'd go easy on the butter, Billy. I hear it slows down paradiddles! lol!

LOL! bounce

Impressive!

24JIM CHAPIN Empty Re: JIM CHAPIN Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:35 pm

Suss

Suss

D. Slam wrote:Here are my thoughts on Ms. Ross, Ms. Taylor and Mr. Jones:

Like me, they also likely thought the event would turn into a kind of showbiz gala and party.... A celebration if you will. Like the two of them, I did not want to see this because in my heart it should have been and was for me a time of mourning. The bottom line is someone(s) lost a friend, son, brother, father, uncle, cousin, nephew and so on.

My personal belief is that this is how Quincy and Liz felt. They didn't want to send him off with a bang, they just want to grieve for a dear friend that they've just lost. Same goes for Diana Ross. They surely did not want to be a part of what they likely figured would be a circus. I'm happy to say that while watching the entire memorial service yesterday, none of these fears came to pass for me. It was done and handled with the respect and dignity that Michael deserved, a beautiful and emotionally moving send off indeed.

I can tell you that when they brought the casket out while the ensemble sang that old time spiritual: "Were going to see the King", I could no longer hold back the tears. The ceremony, I thought was surely befitting the circumstances. A very human element came out in all of this.

I wish people would realize these things and remember to lock the barn door BEFORE the horse bolts. All the wonderful and beautiful acknowledgments seem to come out about a person AFTER he or she has died... I struggle with this.

It's not often that the Lord blesses the world with an extraordinary gift.... And what do we do? Instead of embracing and accepting it with open arms of appreciation, we scrutinize and look for faults and cracks in the armor, of which we ALL have. And when we find them, we stick our dagger in deep and work it around until the integrity of that armor becomes so weak and fragile that it's only a matter of time before it falls apart. Yes, I do believe that Michael may have perpetuated this to at least some extent.... But since age 5 he's lived in a fishbowl... What else did he know to do? In any case, I hope we all learn to appreciate the gifts that God bestows on us....

"The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away."I now know that, that passage extends beyond just the one who's been given life and then had that life taken. Concerning Michael and Mr. Chapin, We've ALL had a little piece of life taken from us and we are all losers in this regard.

D.

Hi All...

I meant to comment on this several days ago when first reading Don's comments. I'm very happy to understand our community here in the greater scheme of things that we deall with everyday. Your comments are Prophetic Don... which you already know makes me happy to read in spite of the Gifted cynics in this world.

It's nice to see you reflect on realities Don - you have a unique way of saying what we All should already know.

Like a Star @ heaven

25JIM CHAPIN Empty Re: JIM CHAPIN Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:10 pm

Suss

Suss

Re:

Both powerful and eloquent Don. I'm posting here what I originally commented following your MySpace blog.

I stuggle with this reality too Don.

You shared your view on the matter that everyone should appreciate on EVERY level. King Solomon wrote that the end of a man is better than his beginnings - which, IMO, translates into our having only one opportunity to appreciate who 'we' our in the Majesty of our Creator. I am moved by you not only taking the time to write down your thoughts, share them - but also the depths from which they come. With Michael Jackson in mind? He's only asleep for now. The ways of man are not the ways of God Himself; neither are His thoughts ours. Yet we have a Redeemer. Hopefully Michael will stand at that White Throne judgement. All the Best Don... we'll talk soon.

Suss!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum