BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Funeral of Jimi Hendrix, Miles was there.

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

spanky

spanky

Miles was there, and he jammed, with Johnny Winter, and Mitch Mitchell, Noel Redding, and Buddy Miles. Now I knew Mitch and Noel were there, I had a book once with the picture of them being there, and that book also had a copy of his London death certificate, I ain't seen that book in years. His grave has been moved, because I found out from a website that I belong to called, Find A Grave.com
Pictures at bottom, I can't tell if that is Betty Davis who is the one with Miles or not, the singer was his wife at the time. But Miles and Johnny Winter, Mitch, Noel, Buddy, all jamming, man oh man. They are all dead except for Johnny. But anyway not until last night did I know that Miles and the rest were there. I do know for a fact that Miles wanted to jam and do a recording with Jimi, and that Machine Gun, of the Band of Gypsy's album turned Miles on to the max, he could not believe that solo. And I know that he was introduced to Jimi, by his wife Betty Davis, Jimi and Betty were very good friends. And she also broke the news to Miles that Jimi, had passed. And Jimi had been saying that he wanted to branch out with horns and strings, and Michael Jefferey his manager who could not stand, was against it. Jeffrey did Jimi a lot of harm, after he moved Chas Chandler out. Jimi was a big fan of Chicago, and he wanted to do stuff like that, but Jefferey would not hear of it, because he kept saying that Jimi would lose his fan base. Jefferey also thought that, the all black Band of Gypsy's band, would make Jimi lose his fan base, and had a big hand in helping to get rid of Buddy Miles. Well that's my Hendrix news for a while. Oh and any pictures of Jimi's funeral are rare, but I found about 4 and I posted 2, the other 2 are of his family, at the funeral, I have seen more in that book that I had, but the book is long gone.

Spanky

Jimi Hendrix is mourned at his Seattle funeral and wake and buried in Renton on October 1, 1970.

HistoryLink.org Essay 3923 : Printer-Friendly Format

On October 1, 1970, rock legend Jimi Hendrix (1942-1970) is mourned at his Seattle funeral and wake and buried in Renton.

Funeral services began at 1 p.m. at the Dunlop Baptist Church (8445 Rainier Avenue S). The Hendrixes had requested a private funeral for friends and family only. The press and fans showed up, but respectfully stayed behind rope barriers. The Seattle police were there in case of trouble with crowd control, but the crowd remained quiet.

The Reverend Harold Blackburn officiated the service. A close family friend of the Hendrixes, Patronella Wright, sang spirituals, and Freddie Maye Gautier delivered the eulogy, reading the words to Jimi's song, "Angel." Dave Anderson, James Thomas, Steve Phillips, Eddy Howard, Donny Howell, and Herbert Price were pallbearers. They were all childhood friends of Jimi's, with the exception of Herbert Price, who was Jimi's chauffeur and valet from Hawaii where Jimi had been filming that summer.

Jimi's dad Al, and his stepmother June, were there, as were Jimi's brother, Leon, and his sister, Janie. Jimi's grandmother Nora came from Vancouver with her boyfriend Doug. Frank Hendrix, Al's brother, and Al's sister in-law Delores (sister of Lucille, Jimi's mother), and her kids Roberta, Dee-Dee, and Julia attended.

The Experience's bass player, Noel Redding, and drummer, Mitch Mitchell, came. Michael Jeffery, Jimi's manager, made all the preparations and had a guitar made out of flowers for the burial service. The great trumpeter Miles Davis attended as did Seattle Mayor Wes Uhlman (b. 1935). Other attendees were: Eddie Kramer, chief engineer at Electric Ladyland Studios; roadies Eric Barrett and Gerry Stickells; blues singer Johnny Winter and his manager, Steve Paul, who was owner of the New York club, The Scene, that Jimi frequented; New York music writer, Al Aronowitz; Abe Jacob, who had done the sound for two of Jimi's tours; Chuck Wein, who filmed the movie Rainbow Bridge in Hawaii; Tom Hulett, one of Jimi's closest friends in Seattle, and who had promoted Jimi's Seattle and West Coast gigs; John Hammond Jr., and Buddy Miles.

Eric Burdon, ex-lead singer of the Animals, and a good friend of Jimi's, didn't attend the funeral. He stated that Jimi hated Seattle, and he thought it was improper to bury him there.

Jimi was laid to rest in Greenwood Cemetery in Renton (350 Monroe Avenue NE). Jimi's mother Lucille (ca. 1925-1958) is buried there, as is his father, James Allen Ross "Al" Hendrix (1919-2002), his grandmother Zenora Hendrix (1884-1985), and his uncle Frank Hendrix (1918-1986).

After a chorus of "When the Saints Go Marching in," Jimi's casket was lowered into the grave. His gravestone reads: "Forever in our hearts, James M. 'Jimi' Hendrix, 1942-1970."

A gathering was held at the food circus building (the Center House) in the Seattle Center, where Johnny Winter, Miles Davis, and Mitch, Noel, and Buddy Miles played music. The program director from KOL-FM radio station, invited by Tom Hulett, called to say he was going to be late because he was at the "food circus" with the Hendrix family. This went out over the air and fans began to come down to the center. Hulett spent a good deal of the day explaining that the family wanted to keep the gathering private. The fans cooperated.

Sources:
James A. Hendrix, as told to Jas Obrecht, My Son Jimi (Seattle: AlJas Enterprises, 1999); Jerry Hopkins, The Jimi Hendrix Experience (New York: Arcade Publishing, 1996); Walter A. Evans, "Peace in the Valley for Jimi Hendrix," Seattle Post Intelligencer, October 2, 1970, p. 5; John Morthland, "Hendrix is Buried in Home Town," Rolling Stone, October 29, 1970 in The Jimi Hendrix Companion, by Chris Potash (NY: Shirmer Books, 1996).

By Alyssa Burrows, August 21, 2002[img]The Funeral of Jimi Hendrix, Miles was there. 74274610[/img][img]The Funeral of Jimi Hendrix, Miles was there. 29994010[/img]

Last edited by spanky on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:28 am; edited 4 times in total

spanky

spanky

The death of drummer Mitch Mitchell, aged 61, marks an unwanted milestone in rock mortality. Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, all have suffered fatalities over the years. However, with the passing of Mitchell, all three members of the Jimi Hendrix Experience are now dead. This is especially poignant since, with 1968's Electric Ladyland, the three of them created a double album of such sheer volume, incandescence and pyromaniac creativity that it remains unmatched and undimmed. It still has the power to knock you off your seat and Mitch Mitchell's percussive ferocity is a significant contributor to that.

Mitchell and bassist Noel Redding were selected for the Jimi Hendrix Experience in 1966 as much for their ability to look the part for the psychedelic novelty act the band were being promoted as. They were two kooky, pseudo Afro-sporting innocents standing alongside the Wild Man of Rock, and critics have occasionally been condescending towards Redding and Mitchell as a result. Writers like Nik Cohn suggested that they were uncommonly lucky to be playing alongside a genius like Hendrix, while biographer David Henderson wrote of the "strange contempt" he divined in Mitchell towards Hendrix. However, Mitchell deeply resented these remarks and, while he may not always have been happy with the lack of attention or remuneration he received in comparison with Hendrix, all of this was channelled as grist to his percussive mill.

Mitchell had been a child actor, a skill he brought to bear in the spoken word intro to Axis: Bold As Love, and at ease with the extroversion of rock showmanship. He had the same boundless, manic qualities as Who drummer Keith Moon – it seemed at times that he was not so much playing his kit as trying to smash it to smithereens. However, he really could play. He was steeped in jazz and particularly indebted to the post-bebop drummer Elvin Jones.

Playing with Hendrix was no second-fiddle indignity for Mitchell but a challenge to be risen to, time and again. On a track like Manic Depression, it's as if he's about to be pitched off his drum seat over the top of the kit, propelled by the sheer tsunami of his drumming. He is almost the dominant force. By 1968, as Hendrix really began to experiment, bassist Noel Redding found himself marginalised and eventually jettisoned. Mitchell, however, rose again to the occasion, holding his own in the jam session with Hendrix and Steve Winwood that gave rise to Voodoo Chile. Even when Hendrix went the way many of his black followers had hoped he would and formed the African American trio Band of Gypsys, Mitchell was never out of the loop. On the last Hendrix recordings, he was part of a trio that included bassist Billy Cox. He worked with him to the end, and beyond. For on October 19, 1970, it was Mitchell's grievous duty to go in and lay down the studio drum part to Angel, over the guitars and vocals of his colleague who had died tragically just a month earlier, aged 27. The rising swell of cymbals that concludes the track feel like a final embrace with the ascended soul of his old friend.

Although he played in a supergroup involving John Lennon, Mitchell never
really found a major role for himself following Hendrix's death, and towards the end of his life he had been playing on the Experience Hendrix tour across America. However, rock historians should always remember to open their ears beyond Hendrix's dazzling playing and recall that Mitchell was, then and forever, an indispensable part of the Experience.[img]The Funeral of Jimi Hendrix, Miles was there. Mitch211[/img]

spanky

spanky

Interview with Noel Redding

Digger: The Who sang 'hope I die before I get old' and in the case of Jimi, Jim, Janis and Brian this came true. Do you count your blessings that you managed to survive the experimentation with drugs? How do you think their relatively short lives affected us all?

Noel: I'm glad I survived. I think the affects of drugs seemed to differ with who was taking what and when.

Digger: Can you give some examples of input that you gave into the creative process of songs for The Experience?

Noel: The ending of Foxy Lady was mine. And the bass and guitar riff on Remember. On Ain't No Telling I came up with the bass solo. The rhythm on Red House.

Digger: Did you find it frustrating playing bass when you were an accomplished guitarist, or did Jimi's virtuosity and originality, at least in part, compensate for this in your eyes?

Noel: No, I enjoyed playing bass and still do.

Digger: Were the disagreements you had with Jimi just a consequence of talented and ambitious young men living close together on a gruelling touring schedule?

Noel: YES!

Digger: There are all sorts of arguments about who is the best guitarist, with Jimi, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page and Eddie Phillips as prime contenders, at least from the British sixties. What are your views on this in retrospect?

Noel: My personal favourite is Jeff Beck. All the others are wonderful as well.

Digger: You met The Beatles and The Stones quite regularly. Despite your and Mitch's outstanding contributions to The Experience, these other major bands were more equal in terms of not pushing a front man quite so much as Jimi in The Experience. How did you cope with Jimi being in the limelight and how would you have coped with the sort of fame that The Beatles had?

Noel: Jimi was the FRONT MAN so it didn't bother me. I wouldn't know how I would have coped with The Beatles' sort of fame.

Digger: How would you describe the creative atmosphere in Britain in the sixties?

Noel: Better than now!

Digger: Can you tell us some of the most outrageous things that you can remember getting up to?

Noel: Putting stink bombs under Mitch's soft pedals, as they couldn't move.

Digger: If you could create a supergroup from sixties musicians, living or dead, who would be in it and why?

Noel: Jeff Beck, John Bonham, John Entwistle, John Lennon. The group would be GOOD!!!

Digger: Have you listened to Electric Landlady by Kirsty MacColl?

Noel: No.

Digger: What five records and five films would you take with you if you were to be stranded on a desert island. What two people would you take and what luxury?

Noel: Films - The Party, Le Grande Boofe, Alien, 2001, The Pink Panther.
Music - The Byrds, The Small Faces, The Kinks, The Move, Foghat.

Digger: You live down the road from my sister outside Cork. Can you describe your life there?

Noel: VERY QUIET.

Digger: What ventures are you involved in these days?

Noel: My anthology - music from '62 to 2000 - lots of previously unreleased material. My lady, Deborah McNaughton is doing a documentary on me.

Digger: What have been your biggest achievements and what have been your biggest disappointments?

Noel: Playing Monterey. Being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1992. NEVER GETTING PAID!!!!

Digger: Of all the bands you have been in, The Experience, Fat Mattress, The Noel Redding Band ( AKA The Clonakilty Cowboys ), Road - which one gave you the most pleasure?

Noel: The Clonakilty Cowboys.

Digger: If a comfortably luxurious and leisurely tour came along, would you still be keen to get back on the road?

Noel: No.

Images courtesy of and ©️ copyright www.rexfeatures.com

Noel Redding

Digger: How did you meet your girlfriend? What does she think of your 'colourful' past?

Noel: I met her in a telephone box three years ago.

Digger: How would you sum-up your sixties?

Noel: Glad I'm still here!

Digger: Who from that period do you still keep in touch with?

Noel: Mick Avory, Johnny Gus, Jimmy Leverton - not many.

Digger: One hears a lot of bad stories about the music business. These days it is run by accountants and lawyers. Do you think that the 'do it yourself' and highly creative spirit that was prevalent in the late fifties with skiffle and the mid seventies with punk will ever return to music?

Noel: I hope so.

Digger: Name your top five American and top five British bands of all time.

Noel: U.S. The McCoys, Booker T. and The MGs, Spirit, Moby Grape, Blue's image.
U.K. Johnny Kidd and The Pirates, The Big Three, The Merseybeats, Nero and The Gladiators, The Shadows.

Digger: Please describe the following in a sentence each:

Jimi Hendrix...

Noel: A gentleman and a wonderful musician.

Mitch Mitchell...

Noel: A very talented drummer. Very talented.

Eric Burdon...

Noel: A wonderful singer and person.

Brian Jones...

Noel: An old and good friend. God bless him.

John Lennon...

Noel: Great, funny bloke. A wonderful songwriter.

Mick Jagger...

Noel: Kept at it for a long time. A very nice guy.

Paul McCartney...

Noel: Wonderful bassist and old friend.

Chas Chandler...

Noel: I miss the guy. R.I.P.

Pete Townshend...

Noel: Great writer, performer and guitarist.

Eric Clapton...

Noel: Such a tasty, talented player.

Digger: What would you say are the keys to a happy and successful life?

Noel: To be happy with oneself and to care for others.

spanky

spanky

Jimi's grave was moved all the way across the cemetery to this memorial.[img]The Funeral of Jimi Hendrix, Miles was there. Hendri10[/img]

fuzit

Hey Spank:

I'm a die-hard Jimi fan also. I plan on making the trip out west to see Jimi's resting place sometime next Spring/Summer.

My fantasy band has always been:

Jimi - Guitar
BC - Drums
Airto - Percussion
Stanley Clarke or Jaco - Bass
David Sancious - Keys

F.

spanky

spanky

fuzit wrote:Hey Spank:

I'm a die-hard Jimi fan also. I plan on making the trip out west to see Jimi's resting place sometime next Spring/Summer.

My fantasy band has always been:

Jimi - Guitar
BC - Drums
Airto - Percussion
Stanley Clarke or Jaco - Bass
David Sancious - Keys

F.
Now that is a super group.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum