BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Billy pictures

+9
Ted E. Bear
Colin
Anders
D. Slam
fuzit
Admin (Pete)
Daveonskins
Woody
drumman
13 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Billy pictures Empty Billy pictures Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:03 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Hi everyone,

I posted some pics from Billy's stint here in the bay area for his Yoshi's performances. Working these shows with Billy is lots of work but is very gratifying and even more fun.

I'm putting up some rehearsal pics and some from the following day when we set up at the club for the opening show. I was not able to stay for that show as I had a gig myself that evening but I will be attending the shows for Saturday and Sunday and will TRY and get some pictures of the actual show in progress at some point. I also took a cool little video of the band rehearsing one of Billy's tunes but I want to get Billy's permission before putting that one up.

In the meantime and in between time, enjoy the pics.

https://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm8/D-Slam/Billy%20And%20Friends/

D.

2Billy pictures Empty Re: Billy pictures Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:02 pm

drumman

Thanks, very nicely done.

3Billy pictures Empty Re: Billy pictures Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:18 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

You tha man D !

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

4Billy pictures Empty Re: Billy pictures Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:33 pm

Woody

Woody

Great pics, Don.
Thanks for sharing!!!

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/robertwoodbury

5Billy pictures Empty Re: Billy pictures Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:37 am

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Nice pics Don!
Wow that snare drum is crazy!

6Billy pictures Empty Re: Billy pictures Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:58 am

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Don,

Thank you so much! What
awesome pics!!

That snare drum is radical!
Wow!

You are so fortunate and
so are we, having you, here.

Billy pictures Applausewelles

Regards,

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

7Billy pictures Empty Re: Billy pictures Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:05 pm

fuzit

Billy and Patrice?...WOW! Two of my musical heros! cheers Thanks for the pics, Don!

8Billy pictures Empty Re: Billy pictures Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:50 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Look for a few more pics in a day or so everyone... I did manage to get one in performance band shot. They're really strict there about picture taking so my hands were tied. I recorded the entire show on my Roland digital recorder and it came out awesome! If Billy allows it, I will put up a couple of tunes.

These five very talented artists were simply mind blowing. I knew Patrice was bad, but I didn't know she was THAT bad. She ripped the place apart! After one of her solos during a tune, even Billy stooped playing, stood up behind his kit and gave her a standing ovation. It was a mesmerizing series of performances. Donald Harrison, Essiet Okon Essiet and Lou Soloff (a real character) were just phenomenal!

I must say that the Spectrum tour was great, but I honestly enjoyed this series considerably more. This particular unit really jelled as a band and the chemistry between the five of them was one of those magical unions.

Sitting here trying to describe the show to you is really just a big waste of everyone's time. Quite simply, it's something you have to see and hear for yourself. I will say this much, Billy Cobham has been and is an inspiration to me. I want you all to know that he has reaffirmed that position with me during this most recent bay area stint. Billy was simply on fire! He played the hell out of that brand new Yamaha, maple custom absolutes, Billy Cobham, signature series drum set! You can really tell when Billy's having a good time. He starts laughing and joking with everyone on stage as well as with those in the audience. He looked so happy up there sharing his music. It was wild! It nearly brought me to tears. They did this version of Hip pockets that was so, well, hip! It's one of the tunes I'd like to post for you if Billy says it's okay.

Funny thing, this was not really a Jazz show perse. It was really an acoustic fusion show in my estimation. The only electrical or solid state instrument was the motif keyboard Patrice used along side the Steinway full grand. The music was very powerful, dynamic and hard hitting. A unique sound for sure. And when they did swing, it was no nonsense! They swung it hard!

After the show, autograph and cd sales session, everyone met in the dressing room where we all had a grand time. Some of Billy's family and friends were there as well as those of other band members. Audrey brought a cake so about 25 people were back there sharing musical war stories, telling jokes and ribbing one another. Essiet is a real cut, he had a million of em. Telling one joke after another. He had Billy laughing so hard that he had to get up and leave the room. Everyone was just having a wild fun time. This went on for at least a full hour! All the band members was so nice. Patrice autographed the Motiff keyboard that my friend and bass player Jay Goudeau supplied for her. She was so down to earth and so sweet... everyone was.

Billy makes it so easy for everyone. We ribbed each other nearly the whole time we were setting up the drums for the band rehearsal. And his wife, Faina is nothing less than a sweetheart. It was a bit sad watching everyone disperse on to their next adventures. But that's the way it's supposed to be. I also want to give a quick shout and props to Jim and Eli for supplying such great audio... You guys are awesome!

Thank you, Billy, Faina, Patrice, Lou, Essiet, Donald, Jim and Eli for what will forever be an extraordinary event and time in my and Audrey's life.

God willing, may there be a next time.

Much love,

Don

9Billy pictures Empty Re: Billy pictures Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:44 am

Woody

Woody

Billy's been an inspiration of mine since I first heard him play with Dreams and Mahavishnu Orchestra back in the early 70's.

And all the albums since then......

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/robertwoodbury

10Billy pictures Empty Re: Billy pictures Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:37 pm

Anders

Anders

Thanks Don for sharing the photos and your thoughts about the show with us. We envy you!

It was interesting to watch that rehearsal videoclip. Where was that rehearsal held?

Kind regards,
Anders

11Billy pictures Empty Re: Billy pictures Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:25 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Anders wrote:Thanks Don for sharing the photos and your thoughts about the show with us. We envy you!

It was interesting to watch that rehearsal videoclip. Where was that rehearsal held?

Kind regards,
Anders

You are Very welcome, Anders... Sharing these experiences, that's what it's all about for me.... I mean, who knew that since first being awed by my drumming hero many years ago, that the day would come that I'd actually be calling him friend let alone get to know him on a personal level and then have the opportunity to work for and WITH him?! It's pretty mind blowing for me and I feel so blessed and fortunate for this to have happened for me.

The rehearsal was held at the home of Peter Williams who books the entertainment at Yoshi's in Oakland. He and his kind and dear wife, Chelsea live only a couple of miles from the venue. They treated us like royalty, fed us a variety of foods including Salmon, sandwiches, fruit, crackers, cheeses and dip, beer and wine for those who wanted it. Really nice people.

The whole experience was simply a blast! I hope more of you here will have the opportunity and experience to work with Billy at some point.

Don.

12Billy pictures Empty Re: Billy pictures Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:04 am

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

I remember first hearing
Patrice on this album:

Billy pictures 200px-UponWingsOMusic

With Ndugu, Jean-Luc
and she painted an in-
credible music vista that
I have not forgotten.

Billy pictures Ndugu

It was my first exposure
to the roto-tom and I
still think that NO ONE
made them sing like
Ndugu did, on this and
the George Duke albums
of the 1970's.

Billy pictures P08502JD3B6

She was and is one of
the most incredible key-
boardists you will ever
see - a marvel.

Regards,

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

13Billy pictures Empty Re: Billy pictures Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:12 am

Colin

Colin

Admin (Pete) wrote:I remember first hearing
Patrice on this album:

Billy pictures 200px-UponWingsOMusic

With Ndugu, Jean-Luc
and she painted an in-
credible music vista that
I have not forgotten.

Billy pictures Ndugu

It was my first exposure
to the roto-tom and I
still think that NO ONE
made them sing like
Ndugu did, on this and
the George Duke albums
of the 1970's.

Billy pictures P08502JD3B6

She was and is one of
the most incredible key-
boardists you will ever
see - a marvel.

Regards,

Yes a Great CD recorded in Jan 1975
also has 2 Rare Fast Rock Guitar solos by Ray Parker Jr.
before he went into the Pop World

Outtasight
Colin.

14Billy pictures Empty Re: Billy pictures Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:52 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

great album , that Luc Ponty one. haven't played it in a long time.

First time I saw Patrice play was back when she was touring with Lee Ritenour & Friendship in support of the Captain Fingers album. Geat concert.

peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

15Billy pictures Empty Re: Billy pictures Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:57 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

She's a MONSTER! I knew she was very good, but I didn't know she was THAT good. Among the very best I've ever heard Billy work with if not THE.
She adds a soulful element to the music that I don't hear too often with even the finest of jazz players... I certainly have a higher level of respect
for what she does from behind any keyboard, acoustic or electric. An absolute plus for Billy to have had her there!

Right up there among the very best of em.

16Billy pictures Empty Re: Billy pictures Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:20 pm

spanky

spanky

Yeah you Da Man, Don.

17Billy pictures Empty Re: Billy pictures Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:27 pm

Suss

Suss

D. Slam wrote:Hi everyone,
I posted some pics from Billy's stint here in the bay area for his Yoshi's performances. Working these shows with Billy is lots of work but is very gratifying and even more fun.
I'm putting up some rehearsal pics and some from the following day when we set up at the club for the opening show. I was not able to stay for that show as I had a gig myself that evening but I will be attending the shows for Saturday and Sunday and will TRY and get some pictures of the actual show in progress at some point. I also took a cool little video of the band rehearsing one of Billy's tunes but I want to get Billy's permission before putting that one up.
In the meantime and in between time, enjoy the pics.
https://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm8/D-Slam/Billy%20And%20Friends/
D.

This is the first I've been able to find the time to review your experience Don. ALL of these pics are fantastic - the experience is also well chronicled in your responses above. Thanks man! I even made comments on a few pictures - and when going up-line to get them, realized that I hadn't logged out of PhotoBucket since first joining back in 2007. So now I'm "following you" and your exploits! LOL!

Hmmm... PhotoBucket! I need to check them out again. Thanks for reminding me!

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnsussewell  http://www.facebook.co

18Billy pictures Empty Re: Billy pictures Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:09 pm

Racman

Racman

Just give a few seconds to get the sound. Yes, Patrice is the only female I know of that kicks like that. And I don't say that in a bias way. I'll reinforce Pete's statement; that this woman is simply incredible to say the least. Listen to how she brings her solo into the ending of Harvey's solo. ..very tasteful indeed. And what more can I say about one of my faves...Mr. Mason bounce

Thought I share this vid I dug up. Some may have seen it already...cool.

http://www.glennracoma.com

19Billy pictures Empty Re: Billy pictures Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:55 am

stephane

Yeah Racman!
Patrice is just amazing !and Harvey...Just my favourite with Billy!peace,stef
ps :i'll buy Patrice "shout it out"cd this month to replace my old lp.

20Billy pictures Empty Re: Billy pictures Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:58 am

spanky

spanky

Don I did not know that Billy was married. It seems that you are family now. Very Happy

21Billy pictures Empty Re: Billy pictures Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:46 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

We're ALL family here, Spanky. We've endured each others ups and downs for quite some time now.
That says something of the bond between us.

22Billy pictures Empty Re: Billy pictures Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:08 pm

Racman

Racman

ps :i'll buy Patrice "shout it out"cd this month to replace my old lp.
Steph

Great idea for a Christmas stuffer as well lol! I'm thinking the same. Smile

We've endured each others ups and downs for quite some time now.
That says something of the bond between us.
Don

That's great D to have a mentor like Boomer. Man, music and personal life mentor could'nt be any better. God's bless both of you having that kind of connection, for sure. alien alien

23Billy pictures Empty Re: Billy pictures Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:37 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Yes, Rac and for this I am thankful... Yet over the years most here have been my mentor and most certainly my friend.

For what it's worth, you are definitely among those.

24Billy pictures Empty Re: Billy pictures Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:23 pm

Racman

Racman

For what it's worth, you are definitely among those.
D

Why thanks D...I'm all teared eye with your compliment and of course your report on the Boomer concert. Yeah, Patrice , back in seventies till now, has and always mesmerized me in every way. Wink

God bless and keep sticking like you do! cheers

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum