BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Billy's Tom Arrangement

+3
kenny
D. Slam
spanky
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Billy's Tom Arrangement Empty Billy's Tom Arrangement Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:35 am

spanky

spanky

Over the years I have noticed the arrangement, that Billy uses for his toms. He uses his biggest rack tom on his left, and a smaller tom in between another big tom, and then it goes down in size the rest of the way around. Now that smaller tom in between the 2 bigger toms, has always puzzled me. And also Billy likes to space his toms, where as I or Don, likes ours close together.ow in the picture below, he does not space them as much, but most of the times he does. But even with that space Billy still has the speed to get to them all on time.[img]Billy's Tom Arrangement Billy_10[/img]

Last edited by spanky on Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Billy's Tom Arrangement Empty Re: Billy's Tom Arrangement Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:30 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Spanky,

This is Billy tom layout from left to right:

15, 13, 14, 12, 10 rack toms. 16, 18 floors

At yoshi's last month:

14, 12, 13, 10 rack toms. 14, 16 floors

3Billy's Tom Arrangement Empty Re: Billy's Tom Arrangement Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:39 pm

spanky

spanky

That's just it Don, 15, 13, 14 or 14, 12, 13. Instead of 15, 14, 13 or 14, 13, 12 nothing wrong with it, I just always have thought about the 13 in between the 15 and 14.

4Billy's Tom Arrangement Empty Re: Billy's Tom Arrangement Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:55 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

spanky wrote:That's just it Don, 15, 13, 14 or 14, 12, 13. Instead of 15, 14, 13 or 14, 13, 12 nothing wrong with it, I just always have thought about the 13 in between the 15 and 14.

Yeah, It's just Billy doing his thing, Spanky...

An interesting note on the 14, 12, 13, 10 setup, is the only thing that has been done here is the two end toms have been switched. Exclamation

5Billy's Tom Arrangement Empty Re: Billy's Tom Arrangement Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:34 pm

spanky

spanky

Yes Don, this is Billy, being Billy.

6Billy's Tom Arrangement Empty Re: Billy's Tom Arrangement Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:43 am

kenny

kenny

Remember Billy told the story of being handed his drums out of order? He accidently set them up low- high - low, liked it and used it ever since.

As far as putting the drums close together, i did that but got over it. I can have from an inch to several inches or more between them now and it doesn't matter. In fact it seems like good practice for getting around the kit to go quickly from the furthest spaces and be on time. good for the coordination and it gives you confidence that you can roll from say; floor tom to 1st rack tom and around to different drums and not in any order. it teaches you . I realised the space in between really didn't matter. Then there are less barriers to what you might try because of spacing. You just gotta put some heat on it.

http://www.balkanmusic.org

7Billy's Tom Arrangement Empty Re: Billy's Tom Arrangement Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:43 am

Suss

Suss

Yeah Kenny... I remember this discussion some years ago on the old forum. I can't recall what Boomer's comments might have been, if any at the time, but I do seem to recall that there was a consideration of how tones sounded when certain stickings were around certain parts of the kit.

Personally, I've not ever tried this type of arrangement - not feeling the need for it. But I can understand how low tones counterbalance the high ones. Typically, like most drummers I guess, I go for the tone (and combination of tones) that support the rhythm and music best.

Perhaps one example that comes to mind is having two high hats: one closed around the ride cymbal, and the other as expected (on the left foot) - for a right handed drummer that is. This, I suppose, is along the same lines as having toms departing from the typical set-up.

... just my thoughts anyway.

Billy's Tom Arrangement Icon_bounce

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnsussewell  http://www.facebook.co

8Billy's Tom Arrangement Empty Re: Billy's Tom Arrangement Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:20 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

I'm sure that Billy having the toms setup in the fashion that he does is what he feels works best for him in representing the music he writes and performs.

Yep, I like my toms close together, and my cymbals low. It's all about comfort, convenience and accessibility for me. Everything else falls into place AFTER that! Smile

9Billy's Tom Arrangement Empty Re: Billy's Tom Arrangement Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:27 am

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

I remember teching for Billy in 92 when he played with peter gabriel-
he had 3 bass drums and 3 snares all in a row, with basically the same type tom arrangement, and it was just phenominal sitting behind and watching him play--

hea makes it look so easy--loved it!

10Billy's Tom Arrangement Empty Re: Billy's Tom Arrangement Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:29 am

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Oh by the way-- he was using the green mapex set
some of you here might have some of those he was selling a while back

11Billy's Tom Arrangement Empty Re: Billy's Tom Arrangement Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:50 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

Ahh, Dave,

I remember that kit... The guy that bought it also bought Billy's massive red Mapex kit. I remember when he put it up on ebay but it didn't sell. He had the WHOLE thing set up... Something like 5 bass drums and 10 toms. I think that kit scared a lot of people off. Very Happy

You sly dog! I didn't realize you were a drum tech for Billy!!! And with Peter Gabriel, yet!!! Man, that must've been some show to witness.

Of course, you da man, D.L.

Don.

12Billy's Tom Arrangement Empty Re: Billy's Tom Arrangement Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:26 pm

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Thanks Don,
Yeah unfortunately for me, I didn't get to talk very much with Billy, cause I was working pretty hard all over the stage.
But I worked with his regular tech or whoever it was during that time setting everything up.

Very cool show-

13Billy's Tom Arrangement Empty Re: Billy's Tom Arrangement Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:58 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Yeah Dave, didn't know you teched for Billy either. Could his main tech at the time have been Hojo ? He worked for Billy for many years. I got a number of broken Pro Mark 808's for my collection from him.

I was at the warehouse in Brooklyn the day that green Mapex and the red one were picked up by the guy who bought them. I'm sorry I don't remember his name but he and his wife had driven all the way from Oklahoma to pick them up. But he didn't get all the drums . Don and I each bought one of the red Mapex snares for ourselves .

I believe I saw the green set for sale on e-bay some time after that, but not sure if it was purchased or not.

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

14Billy's Tom Arrangement Empty MY DRUM TECH IN THOSE DAYS Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:33 am

boomer

Chris Malta worked with me on the Gabriel dates. A good person. Arrow

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum