BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Spanky, a different kind of Jimi

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Spanky, a different kind of Jimi Empty Spanky, a different kind of Jimi Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:22 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

Never heard Jimi Hendricks in this type of musical context before, Spanky... How about you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv_k3fl7apc

2Spanky, a different kind of Jimi Empty Re: Spanky, a different kind of Jimi Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:57 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

What musical context is that Don ? Blues ??? I mean that's what Jimi first and foremost was - a blues guitarist.

are you not familiar with Red House, or Hear my TRain a Comin ? again straight 12 bar blues. Or even Hey Joe for that matter.

There's a CD out with Jimi doing all his blues numbers on it. I think it's called Jimi Hendrix Blues if I recall. I have it but would have to fish it out to check. f you like Jimi in that context, you will love that CD.

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

3Spanky, a different kind of Jimi Empty Re: Spanky, a different kind of Jimi Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:52 pm

spanky

spanky

Yes Don, the tune you gave me is some very funky blues by Jimi. He was a better rock guitarist than a blues player, well let me put it this way, he had his nights where he was just a fantastic blues player, and he had his nights where he was not. The tune you gave me was a on night. But he was a blues man, and he always gave credit to the blues for making him what he was. He would say that his playing was a direct result of the blues. Speaking of the blues I had Bobby Blue Bland's greatest hits going in my car today.

4Spanky, a different kind of Jimi Empty Re: Spanky, a different kind of Jimi Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:42 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Wow! I have played Red house on numerous occasions, Ted, but I didn't know Jimi Hendricks did it. Never got into Hendricks until recently as I was and am of the opinion that the general musicianship of that era was quite bad.... Not Jimi himself, but many of his band mates left much to be desired from a technical point of view, even to the point where there wasn't enough general technique to allow what was done to be musical... Even in this clip, the bass player and drummer just don't do it for me. This was amplified when I was younger in that whenever I would hear any Hendricks I would immediately turn it off, either physically or in my head. Because of that, today I'm paying the price and playing catch up on a great musician and guitarist.

Pray for me! drunken study

Spanky,

As blues goes according to this clip, the man know what he was doing. I for one have never heard Jimi in this context. But again, there's a lot of Jimi I haven't heard.

D.

5Spanky, a different kind of Jimi Empty Re: Spanky, a different kind of Jimi Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:12 pm

fuzit

Keep listening D, keep listening...I've been listening to Hendrix for about 40 years now, and it seems like I hear something different each time...especially in this age of digitized music.

Your right Ted, the all Blues Hendrix cd is titled "Blues." some of the music can be labeled traditional Blues, but coming from Jimi, I would have to borrow a title from one of Janis Joplin's album, and call most of what Jimi is playing as "Cosmic Blues."

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum