BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Great New Cover photo Boomer !

+4
Anders
spanky
boomer
Ted E. Bear
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Great New Cover photo Boomer ! Empty Great New Cover photo Boomer ! Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:16 am

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Check out the new photo for Palindrome on the Home page of the site !

I think it looks great !! Can you explain the concept behind it Boomer ?

Can't wait to hear it !!!

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

2Great New Cover photo Boomer ! Empty Palindrome Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:55 am

boomer

Ted, a Palindrome is an environment where you experience an element when you view it from right to left as well as from left to right. I have seen some statements made where the inference was negative throughout yet, when you read the statement in the opposite direction it read positive: a Palindrome................ On this cd I have taken old stuff that did not receive the attention that I had hoped when I initially released it and reworked it based upon new found experiences since those earlier days, and combined these musical thoughts with new ones. Yet, the ideas are rooted in my past. I have one piece named as a Palindrome "Saippuakivikauppias", meaning soapstone vendor in Finnish: to my knowledge, it is the longest known word as a palindrome. In short, my palindrome can be viewed as progress in the statement and the restatement. scratch boomer

3Great New Cover photo Boomer ! Empty Re: Great New Cover photo Boomer ! Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:03 pm

spanky

spanky

Nice looking site Billy.

4Great New Cover photo Boomer ! Empty Re: Great New Cover photo Boomer ! Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:28 pm

Anders

Anders

Hi,

Looking forward to that new release. Being from Finland myself these palindromes are familiar to me to some extent. There is even a longer palindrome than “saippuakivikauppias”. That word is “saippuakuppinippukauppias” (25 letters), which means a seller of bundles of soup cups. Another funny one is “innostunut sonni” (=an excited bull), but this is in two words. In the 80’s I had a Revox tape recorder and I tested these palindromes by reading them on the tape and playing that tape backwards. The words came out the same with a slight foreign accent Smile The longest English palindrome is “redivider” (9 letters).

Here is what I found about this subject on the Internet:

A palindrome is a word or sentence which is spelled the same backwards and forwards.

Here are some good palindromes:
A man, a plan, a canal - Panama! (One could reply, "No, it's a banana bastion.")
A man, a plan, a cat, a canal - Panama!
A man, a plan, a cat, a ham, a yak, a yam, a hat, a canal - Panama!
Able was I ere I saw Elba. (Napolean could have said this when he was exiled to the island of Elba, if he spoke English.)
Are we not drawn onward, we few, drawn onward to new era?
Cigar? Toss it in a can. It is so tragic.
Doc, note, I dissent. A fast never prevents a fatness. I diet on cod.
Dog, as a devil deified, lived as a god.
Dogma? I am God.
Drab as a fool, aloof as a bard.
Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog.
Ma is as selfless as I am.
Madam, I'm Adam. (Eve replied simply, "Eve.")
Madam, in Eden, I'm Adam.
No sir, prefer prison.
Pa's a sap.
Niagara, O roar again.
Senile felines
Sniff'um muffins.
Ten animals I slam in a net.
Straw? No, too stupid a fad. I put soot on warts.
Was it a cat I saw?
Yreka Bakery (in Yreka, California)

Finnish has the longest palindromic words. Here are several (the longer ones are more contrived).
saippuakauppias (15 letters), soap dealer
saippuakivikauppias (19 letters), soapstone dealer
saippuakuppinippukauppias (25 letters), soap cup dealer

The longest common English palindromic word is "redivider" (9 letters). The contrived chemical term "detartrated" has 11 letters.
"Kinnikinnick," the name of a plant and also a dried leaf and bark mixture smoked by Cree indians, is not a palindrome, but it is sometimes (mis)spelled as a palindrome in two different ways: "kinnikinnik" (11 letters) and "kinnik-kinnik" (12 letters). Each half of the last palindrome is itself a palindrome.

The shortest English palindromic word, not counting one-letter words, is "aa," which is a Hawaiian word for a kind of lava.

Kind regards,
Anders

5Great New Cover photo Boomer ! Empty Re: Great New Cover photo Boomer ! Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:29 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Is CONFUSED a palindrome??? Cause that's what I am right now!!!! Gees Luweeze!!! Question Question Question scratch scratch scratch Suspect

Quite interesting, actually. Smile

Incidentally, Faina gave me a sneak peak of this cover photo at the Yoshi's concert.

6Great New Cover photo Boomer ! Empty Re: Great New Cover photo Boomer ! Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:17 pm

kenny

kenny

race car

navy van

step on no pets

slap a ham on omaha pals

motel in estacada had a cat, senile tom

ma is as i am

ma is a releveler as i am

eva can ignite virtuosos out riveting in a cave

http://www.balkanmusic.org

7Great New Cover photo Boomer ! Empty Re: Great New Cover photo Boomer ! Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:48 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Okay, cool.... But are there any of these that make some meaningful sense?! These read like they were put together simply for the sake of creating a palindrome. Fun for awhile but soon turns into interesting things you don't need to know.... Which in turn becomes just plain uninteresting. Rolling Eyes

But while we're at it... How about the one we all learned about as kids.... "Radar".

8Great New Cover photo Boomer ! Empty Re: Great New Cover photo Boomer ! Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:26 pm

kenny

kenny

I always thought there was a time and place for pure whimsy.
if you need to have a meaningful message well;

step UP P U pets

Put up

http://www.balkanmusic.org

9Great New Cover photo Boomer ! Empty Re: Great New Cover photo Boomer ! Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:10 pm

woofus

woofus

Oooooh you done broke mama's lamp. Wait, that's a non-sequitur.

http://www.myspace.com/jazzstream23

10Great New Cover photo Boomer ! Empty Re: Great New Cover photo Boomer ! Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:42 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

kenny wrote:I always thought there was a time and place for pure whimsy.
if you need to have a meaningful message well;

step UP P U pets

Put up

Kenny, I was only wondering if there were any of these that make sense is all... Being whimsical at times is cool indeed.

Uh.... "deed".

11Great New Cover photo Boomer ! Empty Re: Great New Cover photo Boomer ! Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:12 am

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

thanks for the explanation Boomer, and to Anders for the history of the palindrome. And Kenny for the great examples.

How many of you remember the Grateful Dead's early album with a Palindrome title - A O X O M O X O A ?

Boomer , I'd even go so far to say that there is a "Palindromic Influence on some of your playing. Meaning the way you go backwards and forwards sometimes amongst your snare and four upper toms with some of the ratamacue figures you use. What do you think ?

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

12Great New Cover photo Boomer ! Empty Re: Great New Cover photo Boomer ! Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:44 am

boomer

scratch Doh.......... Yeah, Ted I guess so Question that does make sense, in a way. Basketball

13Great New Cover photo Boomer ! Empty Re: Great New Cover photo Boomer ! Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:43 pm

Suss

Suss

boomer wrote: ...a Palindrome is an environment where you experience an element when you view it from right to left as well as from left to right. I have seen some statements made where the inference was negative throughout yet, when you read the statement in the opposite direction it read positive: a Palindrome...[...]...In short, my palindrome can be viewed as progress in the statement and the restatement. scratch boomer

Yep... almost like the anomaly of "being beside yourself:" i.e. depending upon which point/direction one is looking from, rather than looking at. In this sense, breaking Mama's Lamp and slapping your Grand-mama are non-sequitors indeed (especially after a good meal prepared by them) - reminding me of Wynton Marsalis' statement that Music is not meant to be limited by how we come to it, but how we allow it to come to us. It all depends on the view point.

non sequitur (noun)
1. a statement having little or no relevance to what preceded it
2. (Philosophy / Logic) Logic a conclusion that does not follow from the premises Abbreviation "non seq."

Cool! I like it!!! Quite clever actually! I can't wait to have it: "Palindrome!"

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnsussewell  http://www.facebook.co

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum