BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Emotion Of Billy

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Emotion Of Billy Empty The Emotion Of Billy Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:28 am

spanky

spanky

I was just watching Billy on youtube, and I was keying in on his emotion as he did his solo, and that is what it takes, that is 90% of it, that feel that emotion, Billy and that kit have become one, and he is in command. All the great musicians have a deep feel or deep emotion when interacting with their perspective instruments. Musicians with out emotion tends to be dry, and believe me the crowd knows it. But the more emotional you are, you tend to play with deep feel, and the crowd can feel you, and your emotion touches theirs, and moves them. Just my thoughts.

2The Emotion Of Billy Empty Re: The Emotion Of Billy Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:46 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

The thing that strike me most about this is that Billy came from a very heavy jazz background and played with some heavy jazz cats before this... Funny deal sort of because he worked with those from a genre that would likely turn their noses up at this kind of music. And that's the thing about Billy that amazes me. He's played music and has worked with musical artists from just about every musical path available, and these artists are big names in their fields. Jazz, fusion, latin jazz, rock, pop, r&b, funk, world music, brazilian, big band.... I mean the list goes on and on.

I'm wondering if there is another drummer with such a diverse musical resume, with so many legendary names. I question even if Steve Gadd can equal this...??

D.

3The Emotion Of Billy Empty Re: The Emotion Of Billy Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:49 pm

Asaph

Asaph

Years ago, an interview with Billy I read, he mentioned how when on the road it's business, he doesn't hang out with the band and all. I had an odd feeling about those remarks and had the idea Billy was pretty stuck up, arrogant. But when you actually see him play, and see how happy and playful he gets, you see another guy altogether. And reading things on this discussion board one certainly comes away seeing people think Billy is a prince of a guy.

I heard some things about Tony Williams that entered this same vein, but you see him smiling at bandmates as he played. You know he enjoyed what he did.

Buddy had the reputation of being brutal with his bands, yet helping out people down on their luck in truly great ways, and he obviously enjoyed what he did.

And then there's Terry Bozzio. He looks so ferocious when he plays, like he'd slice your head off. Then you hear him speak and he's a pussy cat.

http://drumsinhisheart.weebly.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum