BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Madonna played drums

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Madonna played drums Empty Madonna played drums Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:29 pm

spanky

spanky

I did not know that Madonna started out as a drummer.

In the late '70s, Madonna met and dated musician/singer Dan Gilroy and his guitarist brother Ed, and the trio formed a band called The Breakfast Club. Gilroy taught her to play guitar, drums and keyboard. A woman named Angie Schmidt played bass, and Madonna played the drums in the band until she reportedly expressed her desire to be the lead vocalist.

She split from the band and formed her own, named after her nickname — Emmy. Emmy included drummer/boyfriend Stephen Bray, a childhood friend of Madonna’s who also co-wrote songs with her, and bassist Gary Burke.

The group was formed in New York in the late 1970s, and went through several line-ups including one in which Madonna was the drummer. By the early 1980s, the band included Madonna, Angie Smit on bass, and the Gilroy brothers, Dan and Ed, both on guitar (Dan sang lead vocals as well). Dan Gilroy was also briefly Madonna's boyfriend, and he eventually allowed her to sing some lead vocals. Madonna ultimately left to form a new band Emmy, but the remaining members soldiered on. By the mid 1980s, the band consisted of the Gilroys (with Dan now concentrating exclusively on vocals, while Ed provided all guitars), Gary Burke (bass), Paul Kauk (keyboards), and Stephen Bray (drums). Both Bray and Burke had previously been Madonna's bandmates in Emmy. Bray had also dated Madonna for a while, and reportedly, Madonna had initially suggested him as her replacement in Breakfast Club.[citation needed] They signed with Ze Records and released their eponymous album in 1987, which spawned the U.S. Top Ten hit "Right On Track". Later, Randy Jackson (bass) and E. Doctor Smith (The Drummstick, percussion) joined the band.

A second album was recorded but never released. Their last single was a cover version of The Beatles' song "Drive My Car", used in the film, License to Drive. Shortly afterwards the band broke-up. Bray later co-wrote several big hits with, and for, Madonna. They were nominated in the category of Best New Artist at the Grammy Awards in 1988, losing out to Jody Watley. Many of their music videos, including "Right on Track," were filmed by Jeff Stein, director of The Who documentary, The Kids are Alright.

Dan Gilroy later went on to star in Mother Goose Rock 'n' Rhyme as Gordon Goose and Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle as Pete the postman.

2Madonna played drums Empty Re: Madonna played drums Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:33 am

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

I used to run into Madonna all the time back in 1980 when she would rehearse at Gotham Sound which was located on the 3rd floor of the Music Building,38th and 8th in Manhattan. My brother Chris and I had our first recording studio in that building called Stickwork Studios. At the time she also worked at Twin Donut on 8th ave. She would rehearse with a tape under the direction of her manager Camille Borbon, who later sued Madonna and lost saying she created her.

She was very cute and I remember asking her once how she thought of that stage name Madonna, and I didn't believe her when she told me it was her real name, which it was.

the Music Bldg. was an old garment district building, 12 stories with 5 rooms per floor. Nothing but bands in there. Had a freight car which each band would use to move equipment for gigs. And security. Still there. It was documented in Madonna's story of her life, which title I can't recall. I used to ride the passenger car and just get off on any floor and listen to what was going on. A lot of wildness in that place, let me tell you ! Every kind of music you could think of was in there !

also on our floor was Kid Creole & the Coconuts and David Johannsen also had a room there at the time. Plasmatics too. Bands could play 24/7 but you weren't supposed to sleep there. Yeah right !

OH, the memories !

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

3Madonna played drums Empty Re: Madonna played drums Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:51 am

spanky

spanky

Wow

4Madonna played drums Empty Re: Madonna played drums Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:32 pm

woofus

woofus

She was also a modern dancer. My wife danced with her around 1978 at the American Dance Festival at Duke University. She describes Madonna then as extremely thin with very large breasts.

http://www.myspace.com/jazzstream23

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum