BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us!

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Empty Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:29 pm

Racman

Racman

As we all experience a hurting economy, ending cost has become a major determining factor in any purchase. For me it was looking for a 22" bass drum that would be compatible as a add on to my existing Tama Starclassics.

And I've finally found one! After much investigation/experimenting with BDs regarding low end drums, I've decided to stay with Tama. Believe me people - not sure what the technicalities may be, i've tried other brand BDs and non came close to the Tama Rockstar BDs. Yes, you heard correct...a Tama Rockstar.

After 3 years of countless, and at times, fruitless searching I actually "STUMBLED" on Ebay and won a bid on a Rock Star Tama BD ($130. American smacks) that was near exact in finish and size needed to match my Starclassic birtch drum kit.

I just received it last night and set it up with my birch toms and they just blew me away! Lot's of low-end depth, clear definition and punch exceptional projection without any means of enhancements. These are sound characteristics commonly found in high end shells people! And it actually resonates tonality with the other drums when played together.....Again, it amazes me how a low-end cost drum sound so high-end in the end. Tama BDs are killer.

God is good and He not only loves me but likes me enough in meeting such a need as this!

Amen

Check out these pixs and see how organically it matches with the other drums. You know that this kind of encountering of a match comes once in a lifetime....thank you Jesus!

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
Much Aloha & Shalom,

Rac

Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Tamaa13

Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Tamab12

Last edited by Racman on Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:48 pm; edited 8 times in total

http://www.glennracoma.com

2Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Empty Re: Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:19 pm

MarkRS

I agree totally - Tama have the best kicks. I was at a recording studio at the University in Cardiff last week and my friend (who has 13 years' recording experience) demonstrated a Tama Starclassic kick to me, and I have never heard such a great (rock) sound. Amazing. His ability to tune drums is without comparison, but you need a good drum before you can make it sound good.

Hi all, don't want to hijack this thread but I'm new here, yes I am English but don't hold that against me tongue

3Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Empty Re: Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:01 pm

Racman

Racman

Hi all, don't want to hijack this thread but I'm new here, yes I am English but don't hold that against me
MarkRS

We do appreciate your input and welcome to the table friend!

Aloha and Shalom,

Rac

4Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Empty Re: Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:23 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Tama makes great drums period!!! For me, Their kicks sound great but are really no better than the other brands I have and like... I Love my ddrum kick, and it should rock, It's a 20X20! My Mapex, a 20X18 also bumps. as does my Premier and Pacific Kicks. Really, all my kicks rock. But I give credit more to the heads I use than the drum itself. For me, NOTHING beats the Evans E and G-mad bass drum system... They'll make any bass drum sound good! That coupled with the Kick Port,,,, Can't go wrong! cheers

5Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Empty Re: Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:12 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

But Don You forgot to tell them that you wear a size 16 EEE combat boot when you play ! that also helps, I think !

affraid

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

6Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Empty Re: Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:55 am

Racman

Racman

NOTHING beats the Evans E and G-mad bass drum system...
D

Either that or I've had Aquarian's Super Kick on mind. I recall having a 18" Gretsch kick using that head was a killer. Playing live, other players said it was cutting with a lot of bottom for such a small drum.

I really think the stock head the Tama came with, which is a Evans, sounds pretty awesome as is. I can imagine if I changed it to an Aquarian or something of the same caliber.

But what do you guys think of that finish? It's an incredible match, I think, that's a total blessing!

Shalom,
rac

7Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Empty Re: Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:54 am

spanky

spanky

Dudes I have been playing Rock Stars for about 6 years, I have never heard one complaint. The only thing that I did not like was the steel snare, it was crap, but the rest of the drums sound good, and that bass drum has a lot of punch. And Even though I might go DW next, I like these drums, I also have a set of white Sonor's.[img]Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! 00110[/img][img]Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! 00412[/img][img]Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! 00311[/img][img]Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! 00811[/img][img]Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! 00510[/img]

8Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Empty Re: Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:45 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Aquarians Make very good bass drum heads I still have one on my Pearl kit. But the E and G-mads are just noticeably better from where I sit.

I do have to make one correction though: Evans E and G-mads, Kick Port and my Army issued, size 16, EEE combat boots... Thanks for bringing that to my attention, Ted.

The Kick drum looks like the rest of the kit, Rac.... Looking good, great find, man.
Btw, how's the Kick Port working out for you?

9Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Empty Re: Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:54 pm

Racman

Racman

I'm yet to install it on my new 22" kick. D, I'm just so excited about this recent kick find that I see no use in enhancements but when the thrill of having a new toy subsides, I'll put the kickport on. Wink
D...can you explain in words how different the Evans kick batter heads differ in being better? thanks man.

Rac

Splankey, that is a sweet looking kit and a cool little corner to practice. I've always say that the right environment to setting up the kit encourages for good practice. Thanks for posting pixs....it speaks alot.

And you're absolutely right. The low-end snares, like many other brands, needs to be condemned. But for some financially, it's a treasure. But like me in time most will understand that experience and go on to upgrade when financially feasible.

10Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Empty Re: Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:33 pm

Racman

Racman

Hey Spankey, I just saw a Tama rack system for tom setups. It's supposedly a recent product? Notice you use them and do you think it does help in carrying less stuff and is it lighter? Please inform me as I'm thinking on getting one. My age is creeping up on me in regards to carrying hardware Laughing
Shalom,
Rac

11Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Empty Re: Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:17 pm

spanky

spanky

Hey Rac, I like Gilbralter racks because of all the stuff that I can attach to them, I can even leave the cymbal hardware in place, just take the front and side rack apart, and reverse the procedure when you get to the gig. Or you can just mark the height of the cymbal hardware, that way you can take the whole thing apart if you want to. Or just slide them downward. But if you notice I only use the front and the right side of the rack, I like the left side open. I can put more stuff on my left side, sometimes I put another china over there, and because I play about 90 percent open handed, it works out great. I also have a curved front bar for the rack, but I don't use it anymore.

12Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Empty Re: Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:48 am

Racman

Racman

and my Army issued, size 16, EEE combat boots
D

Now where can I get a pair of these and do they come with muffling rings? Wink
Spankey,
racks sound like the way to go. Having cymbal stands pre-set to desired positions and having less to haul around gets my attention.

Thanks,

Rac

13Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Empty Re: Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:11 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Hi, Rac,

As you know it's all a matter of personal taste... For me, the Evans are deeper, rounder and punchier! With the G-mad I use no baffling at all beside the outside mounted foam rings they supply you with. The only reason I have not changed the Aquarian head on my Pearl kit is I don't use it that much anymore and I'm a bit lazy in that regard... My opinion is if you like punchy and phat, then nothing to date beats the E and G-mad bass drum systems....... That and the Army issue, size 16, EEE's. affraid

14Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Empty Re: Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:54 pm

MarkRS

The only thing I've yet to hear is a Tama kit in a jazz context, they've always screamed 'ROCK!' at me but I secretly wonder how versatile they are? Probably very, but I've never seen a jazz drummer play them.

Or perhaps I'm wrong? More than likely!!

15Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Empty Re: Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:32 pm

Racman

Racman

Probably very, but I've never seen a jazz drummer play them.
MarkRS

For one of many, pre-Lenny White, Billy Cobham at some point may have used them, John Blackwell, and countless of others. These drums, especially the maples and birtch series are versitle in it's tuning range - meaning they will tune in a wide range of pitch and tone that will accomadate many fields of musical genre. When Tama engineered these drums they had the well-versed professionl in mind. These are not tinker toys.

I personally been using Tamas for the past nine years and I play a spectrum of music, from fussion, jazz to rock. For the jazz stuff I simply switch to my 18" Tama Starclassic Birtch kick. She sings beautifully and I've never felt remorse for ever having to purchase one. I bought it from The Guitar Center in Henderson, Neveda three years ago. It was a floor modal that never could be sold because drummers in general there prefer bigger drums for Vegas shows and the sort. But for me here in the islands, clubs don't offer drummers much real estate (set up space) so that 18" comes in handy. I've also played live using the 18 kick in medium to moderate rock, cover stuff and it sings there as well....very well.

But my recent purchase of a 22" was something I was longing for. Being that I consider myself a dynamical player, a 22" will ride with me either way Wink

So yeah, the answer to your question of whether or not jazz guys use Tama....the answer is a definit Yes they do. I like your question. Are you by chance a drummer that leans more towards rock music?

For your interest, they've been true and reknown jazz drummers that have changed over to bigger heftier drums having more of a rock sound. They were hitting harder and drums needed the beef to penetrate through screaming guitars coming through Marshal amps! This was occuring during the mid-sixties through late seventies - a transitional wave from jazz evolving into jazz-rock, better known as fusion.

Hope this helped. bom

Shalom/Aloha,

Rac

16Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Empty Re: Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:56 pm

Racman

Racman

Hello MarkRS,

This is just an inner liner of Lenny White's "PresenTense" CD recorded 12 years ago or so. Notice I highlighted in green, the Tama name on the foot pedal and bottom left corner. Today he's on drums that are as expensive as a Mercedez Benz. Can't remember the name of those drums he's promoting but are awesome. You can see and hear those drums live on his RTF live concert cd (2008). I personally view and study this video every other day prior to going to bed (after my converse time with God of course, time with wife and petting the cat) Smile

This guy was or rather 'is' an awesome drummer in jazz and in just about anything else under the sun. He is one of my faves of all time no matter what anyone has to say. You can google, if you will, his bio and see his credibility. He's performed along side some of the greatest musicians who made jazz and fusion history. I think you may appreciate his stuff. From jazz to fusion/rock.

Shalom and Aloha,

rac

Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Lentam10

17Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Empty Re: Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:10 am

spanky

spanky

MarkRS wrote:The only thing I've yet to hear is a Tama kit in a jazz context, they've always screamed 'ROCK!' at me but I secretly wonder how versatile they are? Probably very, but I've never seen a jazz drummer play them.

Or perhaps I'm wrong? More than likely!!
Billy use to use them for Jazz.

18Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Empty Re: Low-Ends can sometimes Amaze us! Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:22 pm

Racman

Racman

Just a tad bit of Mr. Lenny White

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum