BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Billy Cobham, Palidrome tour, my impression

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

D. Slam

D. Slam

This is not a review perse. You all have access to the beNOW.tv internet video stream and you can make your own conclusions as that goes. I will say that this is a wonderful band and I feel that the bar has been raised in covering the spectrum in jazz instrumental entertainment. Billy Cobham and company hits the marks in that you are awed without being overwhelmed. I think that the reason for this is because you're not caught up in a technical onslaught, but a musical one. Billy's music and the way it's presented touches the listener where they need to be touched. This is evident in watching the reaction or rather response to what they are seeing and hearing. They sway, bounce, rock and bob to the the grooves. I think if there was room, people would actually get up and dance. This is the way this music makes you feel, you just gotta move because you've been moved inside, right where you needed it.

Billy's not afraid to touch or pull these emotional strings, he has a way of giving what needs to be given, when it needs to be given. If it's a technical element somewhere in the tune then he will touch on that as well as those melodies and groove elements that make you want to move, and you want to move because you just can't help it. So our emotional side as well as our intellectual side is fed. I think quite a few of the "major" artists miss this along the way. They're so busy trying to razzle, dazzle us with their technical abilities that the MUSIC gets lost. And when that happens, the heart is never reached and I believe that's the most important part in the absorption of the art form itself.

The Billy Cobham Band has discovered where those heart strings are. A wonderfully gifted ensemble of players. I'm already anticipating their return.

Don.

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Beautifully said Don, and I second your sentiments ! Those of you who missed this tour really missed seeing a great band . And the way billy's compositions have evolved into the arrangements he is now able to play with this band are nothing short of inspiring !

Thanks Boomer and the band for a great tour and please come back this way again with this band !

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

3Billy Cobham, Palidrome tour, my impression Empty Billy Cobham, Palidrome tour Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:03 am

drumman

I am glad that Yoshi's posted that show on video.
It makes up for the bad booking that was done for the tour and now everyone can see the show.
Better research is needed in the future when Billy plays the U.S.
I am still pissed that he was booked twice at a "middle of nowhere" venue in the styx of Pennsylvania.
In 2008 and now 2010, so the video is like gold to me, thanks Yoshi's! Very Happy

D. Slam

D. Slam

drumman wrote:I am glad that Yoshi's posted that show on video.
It makes up for the bad booking that was done for the tour and now everyone can see the show.
Better research is needed in the future when Billy plays the U.S.
I am still pissed that he was booked twice at a "middle of nowhere" venue in the styx of Pennsylvania.
In 2008 and now 2010, so the video is like gold to me, thanks Yoshi's! Very Happy

Well drumman, I talked to Franz, Billy's sound tech and he said the show at Jim Thorpe went very well.
To my understanding it's 70 miles one way for you to drive to get there. My own personal opinion is that's
really not a lot to ask of someone who claims to be a true Billy fan and also considering the fact that he
RARELY gets to that area at all.

That being the case, you have no one but yourself to blame for missing this killer series. Should he come
back and it happens to be at J.T.'s, my suggestion is drive the 70 miles and catch the performance, as life
offers no guarantees.

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

It was 40 miles each way for me to see Boomer at the Blue Note. Mr. Fusion came up to New York from Maryland to see the shows , which was over 400 miles one way.

Like anything in this life, it's a question of how badly you want it . I will be driving to North Carolina in November for that fusion festival - 10 hours each way.

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

D. Slam

D. Slam

That's right, Ted and had it not been for some gig obligations, I'd have made the drive
to L.A. (380 miles one way) to spend the weekend with the band at Catalina Bar And Grill.
As it was, it was 50 miles each way for me, two days straight.

So I'm having a bit of an issue with drumman's beef. Heck, The Billy Cobham Band was right
there in his backyard.... scratch

Another thing, I'm sure the research WAS done... You might want to write your local chamber of commerce
or even some of the local venues whereyou'd like to see him perform. I know for a fact that Billy wants to play
Yoshi's S.F. but trying to get back in there has been like pulling teeth for some reason. Thus he plays the hand
he'sdealt.

I hope your being "pissed" is enough ignition to get you to take some positive action toward getting what you want.

7Billy Cobham, Palidrome tour, my impression Empty Re: Billy Cobham Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:41 pm

drumman

With all due respect, Billy's sound tech doesn't live in the area or know where I live.
Jim Thorpe, PA is almost a 2 hour ride each way for me and is in a desolate, farm like, area
with little or no attractions around it.
Driving in a far desolate area like that, that I am not familiar with, is not my idea of fun.
Anybody see the movie Deliverance? LOL! Very Happy

This is located in a farming area is not a major market, is my main point.
Billy is certainly entitled to play where he wants, but this sucks for people who
do not live in rural farming areas, hours away from a major city.

Maybe this is a trend in the concert market nowadays, these areas may sell more tickets
than major markets because life moves a lot slower in these areas.
I have seen this before with other Jazz and Rock bands. So be it?

D. Slam

D. Slam

Just saw the clips you posted of Billy in Jim Thorpe PA, drumman. What can I say, man?
If it's not worth it to you to attend a show for the reasons you stated then it's as you said
yourself: "So be it."

What the hell, you can always post some after the fact youtube highlight clips, right? Wink

9Billy Cobham, Palidrome tour, my impression Empty Re: Billy Cobham Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:52 am

drumman

LOL! Very Happy
You're right, I can still enjoy it through Youtube.
Sometimes that is just as good, I save a tank of gas, a lot of miles on my car
and the stress that comes with long distance travel.

There still is no substitute for seeing a band in person, but if you can't make the show,
this works too.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum