BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Mahavishnu Live CD - What stopped its release?

+3
boomer
kenny
pLee
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Colin

Colin

Walter and Ted
& Abstact Logix CEO
there was a New University recorded 1972-3
Mahavishnu Sony CD due to come out a few years back.

Nowdays Sony allow other record companies to release it.
So Even Abstract Logix-SonyLegacy CD is possible,
For this project.

John has solutions for so many deals
is this a battle of Rights that must stay buried?

Because Times are changing very fast
soon CD's may only be online or Live gigs , it can get that wrong.

Do a Limited Edition
Worldwide
and they will all sell.
Number them.

Positive Energy is out there
whatever - went before on this.

Outtasight
Colin.

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

From what I heard, one or more of the members turned it down because the money Sony offered each to grant the rights was not enough. Maybe you should write to Sony and ask them ? I assume you're referring to Cleveland 1973 concert.

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

kenny

kenny

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/mahavishnu-orchestra/

You can download these and they are amazing!! supposedly some money goes to the bands. can't verify that though. These are incredible, ten times better than the studio albums. You can listen to them for free.

http://www.balkanmusic.org

pLee

pLee

Just go on Wolfgang's Vault and listen to the many live concerts available, though I don't think the Cleveland concert is one of them. No matter.

By cc to Billie - Did you tune your 6 (later 7) toms to specific notes? It sounds very consistent and, dare I say, incredibly well tuned as between the top and bottom heads.

kenny

kenny

Case Western University is in Cleveland and is one of the concerts available on the site. What really makes these live performances is Billy's cutting loose!!

6The Mahavishnu Live  CD - What stopped its release? Empty Tuning my toms then Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:39 pm

boomer

I tried to keep the toms within a harmonically friendly range as was reflected in the musical compositions we played. This made it easier for me to be a stronger part of the conceptual fabric that was at the foundation of the band presentation or 'sound'. Boomer

Colin

Colin

Ted E. Bear wrote:

From what I heard, one or more of the members turned it down because the money Sony offered each to grant the rights was not enough. Maybe you should write to Sony and ask them ? I assume you're referring to Cleveland 1973 concert.

Peace, TED

But all the staff have changed,
Yes that Cleveland 1973 would sell
on Abstact Logix - Sony legacy.

Limited Edition with a number.

Outtasight
Colin.

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

I'm sure Sony is basing their decision on how much The Lost Trident Sessions sold . If you add the cost of producing and distributing the Cleveland CD plus the cost of paying the members of the band for the rights to put it out and weigh that against what they would have to sell in order to make it profitable for Sony to do it ....... then you see what their reasoning is.

If you can find out how many units LTS sold, then you have a good idea of the market. Sony will not tell because I've asked. Maybe they will tell you .

That's what you're up against.

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

Walter

Walter

In addition, one of the band members refused to have it released because he was dissatisfied with his own playing. Readers of Power, Passion and Beauty should be able to discern who that is :-) (It is not Billy.)

kenny

kenny

i didn't think it was really a standout concert either compared to some of the other live performances on wolfgang's vault. A little rough around the edges maybe but high energy. Really take a listen to some of those shows.

tconrad

Kenny's right. .... These MO shows on the Wolfgang's Vault website are incredible. .... For musical excellence and raw power it is difficult to find anything that compares to these. .... Maybe I should ask: Is there anything that compares to this? .... Let me know if there is.

Colin

Colin

tconrad wrote:Kenny's right. .... These MO shows on the Wolfgang's Vault website are incredible. .... For musical excellence and raw power it is difficult to find anything that compares to these. .... Maybe I should ask: Is there anything that compares to this? .... Let me know if there is.

Better than the Vault
is DTS 5.1
SACD 5.1
DVDA 5.1

And also New High Tech Japan CD's on Sony BluSpec
and Universals SHM.
Both can play on any CD player etc.

Outtasight
Colin

tconrad

Better than the Vault
is DTS 5.1
SACD 5.1
DVDA 5.1

And also New High Tech Japan CD's on Sony BluSpec
and Universals SHM.
Both can play on any CD player etc.
What I meant was: Is there any group or band that compares to these MO live shows with respect to musical excellence and raw power? .... I'm having a hard time thinking of one.

Colin

Colin

Yes
that raw power is special
and rare.

Outtasight
Colin.

tconrad

Listening to these MO concerts has inspired me to write the following comedy short:

.. "Pardon me sir...are you Mr. William Cobham?"
.. "Yes. May I help you?"
.. "You can. I am Sergeant Davis from the United Nations Arts and Culture Section, Etiquette Enforcement Division, Music Police Department."
.. "Music Police?"
.. "Yes. We have several citations against you."
.. "Against me? What have I done?"
.. "On several occasions you have broken the tempo speed limit."
.. "I didn't know there was such a thing. How fast is braking the tempo speed limit?"
.. "Technically it is, and I quote: 'Playing much faster than the listener's ear can keep up with'. How do you plea?"
.. "That definition is kind of vague. I believe I'm innocent."
.. "We have over 50 complaints against you."
.. "Really? When did I do this?"
.. "According to these particular complaints the violations took place when you were a member of the original Maha-" [struggling to pronounce] "eh--Mahavishnu Orchestra. I'm not familiar with this group, so you will have to tell me when this was."
.. "That was back in the early 1970's."
.. "Oh...never mind then. The statute of limitations for this infraction is 12 years. So it has run out long ago. Have you recently been playing so fast?"
.. "Ummm--" [thinks of several recent up-tempo songs but doesn’t mention them] "Can I get back to you on that?"
.. "You can. Have a nice day."

...........................................................© 2011 Tony Conrad

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum