BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

GOT PART 1 OF MY NEW YEARS PRESENT

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1GOT PART 1 OF MY NEW YEARS PRESENT  Empty GOT PART 1 OF MY NEW YEARS PRESENT Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:38 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Last night I got part one of my new years present - two sets of Donald Harrison, Ron Carter, and Boomer at the Blue Note here in NYC. It was the last night of a 4 night stint which saw them perform 8 shows.

This is the third time I have seen them perform together at the Blue Note and it's clear that there is a special chemistry which happens when these 3 musical forces get together.

Alto sax, stand-up bass and drums is not the most common line-up you think of when you go to listen to a jazz trio and it takes a special amount of talent to make the songs sound full and pleasing. those gentlemen have that talent !

Each set lasted almost exactly one hour each . Regretfully a little short on length, but certainly not on quality. I didn't know all the titles, but I will put down those I was sure of.

Set one began with the Miles Davis classic So What . This was followed by a Ron Carter original entitled Cut & Paste . They then carried on with the classic I Can't Get Started. The stage was then turned over to Ron Carter for an extended solo based around You Are My Sunshine - it even contained parts of the Mickey Mouse Theme song in it . The fifth and final song I didn't recognize. Each member was afforded ample time and room to stretch out and solo during the pieces .

Boomer was playing a small kit [ for him ] . 5 piece Yamaha with one large ride , 24" I think, hi-hat and two crashes, all Sabian's . The snare was a 14 X 8" I believe. My brother took some photos and when I get them I will post them so you guys can see the kit. Boomer played with sticks, brushes, his hands, and even his fingertips at times and in a small club like the Blue Note all the nuances of his technique can clearly be heard ! As I was watching him play , I could tell he really had to think about what he was playing and he and Ron complimented each other perfectly.

The second set started at 10:30 . I didn't reconize the opening piece, but it, along with all the other pieces were totally different ones than they played in the first set. The second piece was a blistering version of the Ray Noble penned standard Cherokee . this piece cooked ! this was followed by the blues classic from porgy and Bess , Summertime . Then they played a super version of the Sonny Rollins classic St. Thomas , which is a song I've always loved and Boomer's Carribbean influences really shone on this one. the last piece was another that I could not identify either, but it was beautiful nonetheless !

As I said in the title, this was part 1 of my new years gift. Part two will come on this wed. when I will be attending the opening show for the Spectrum 40 tour at BB King's. this will feature Boomer and Jerry Goodman playing together once again . To say I am looking forward to this would be an understatement. I will let you all know how it goes, and I hope many of you will come out and see the tour which will last the next two weeks !

Thank you Billy once again for another exquisite night of music !

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

2GOT PART 1 OF MY NEW YEARS PRESENT  Empty Re: GOT PART 1 OF MY NEW YEARS PRESENT Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:52 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Thanks for posting this, Ted. I talked to Billy by phone
yesterday and I'm very much looking forward to the Spectrum
shows when they gets out here to the west coast. It'll be nice
to finally be able to say that I saw Jerry Goodman play.

3GOT PART 1 OF MY NEW YEARS PRESENT  Empty Re: Got Part 1 of My New Fart Machine Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:55 am

drumman

I wonder if Yamaha is giving Boomer a new kit to play on for the U.S. Spectrum shows?

They have been giving him that same Blue Sparkle Absolute Nouveau kit for a while now,

The Yamaha plant in Buena Park, CA needs to hook Boomer up with a new kit!!

4GOT PART 1 OF MY NEW YEARS PRESENT  Empty Re: GOT PART 1 OF MY NEW YEARS PRESENT Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:17 am

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

the show is tonite . Hopefully, I will have some photos to post. I'm still waiting for the other photos from my brother.

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

5GOT PART 1 OF MY NEW YEARS PRESENT  Empty Re: Got Part 1 of My New Years Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:51 pm

drumman

Thanks right Ted, at B.B. Kings..have a good time..looking forward to seeing your photos.

I will see the show next Thursday at The Colonial Theatre in Phoenixville, PA.

That came up quick, it seemed like a long way off..LOL!

6GOT PART 1 OF MY NEW YEARS PRESENT  Empty Re: GOT PART 1 OF MY NEW YEARS PRESENT Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:42 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

drumman wrote:I wonder if Yamaha is giving Boomer a new kit to play on for the U.S. Spectrum shows?

They have been giving him that same Blue Sparkle Absolute Nouveau kit for a while now,

The Yamaha plant in Buena Park, CA needs to hook Boomer up with a new kit!!

Why?! It ain't the drums as much as it is the person behind them.
But in answer to your question, I know that Billy will not be using
the blue kit when he comes to the west coast. I have no idea what
he'll be using out yours and Ted's way.

7GOT PART 1 OF MY NEW YEARS PRESENT  Empty Re: Got Part 1 of My New Years Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:43 pm

drumman

I could make music with a dead deer's ass, if I had too, but a new kit is always a cool thing.

Boomer use to change drum kits every few years, that 's why I mentioned it.

That is the purpose of an endorsement, to promote the latest products through the drummer's
performance, it just seemed strange Yamaha hadn't given him some of the newer stuff,
like the new Hex rack and the Phoenix drums.

8GOT PART 1 OF MY NEW YEARS PRESENT  Empty Re: GOT PART 1 OF MY NEW YEARS PRESENT Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:14 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

Billy has the new Yami hex rack and a full set of Phoenix drums.
There are more than several youtube clips of him using both of
these. I have set up Billy's hex rack with his white kit several
times already. As to his Phoenix kit, he does own at least one
but the cost of air shipping equipment has sky rocketed! Heck, just
the cost of taking a carry on with you on the plane is ridiculous so one
can only imagine what it costs to ship even a small set of drums! Plus,
Yamaha is NOT going to be placing their flagship set of drums (the Phoenix)
on loan! Special order only...

You rarely if ever see them on display and for sale at the music stores.
Yamaha will usually cover the cost of shipping Billy's blue kit out of southern
Ca. to the east cost even, but I'm sure that's very expensive. The ecomomy
ain't what it was and all these companies have to be more creative while also
being more conservative in their marketing stragedies.

You're going like or not like what you hear. And either way it won't be because he
doesn't have the latest stuff that's hot off the esembly belt. It'll be because of what
he does or doesn't do with whatever he's working with. And chances are you're
gonna have a great time listening to and watching him play whatever he's sitting
behind.

9GOT PART 1 OF MY NEW YEARS PRESENT  Empty Re: GOT PART 1 OF MY NEW YEARS PRESENT Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:29 am

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

As promised, Here's some photos from the Blue Note this past Friday :

[img]GOT PART 1 OF MY NEW YEARS PRESENT  Heroes10[/img]

[img]GOT PART 1 OF MY NEW YEARS PRESENT  Heroes11[/img]

[img]GOT PART 1 OF MY NEW YEARS PRESENT  Ron_ca10[/img]

[img]GOT PART 1 OF MY NEW YEARS PRESENT  Billy_10[/img]

[img]GOT PART 1 OF MY NEW YEARS PRESENT  Donald10[/img]

[img]GOT PART 1 OF MY NEW YEARS PRESENT  With_r10[/img][img]

GOT PART 1 OF MY NEW YEARS PRESENT  With_d10[/img][img]

enjoy !

Peace, TED