BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Empty Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:58 pm

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

I purchased one of these a few weeks ago to have a bigger basket to fit my Yamaha Elvin Jones Signature wood hoop snare drum and all I can say is wow..This stand is pricey, but built like a tank-and Rock solid. If you're in the market for you're last snare stand you'll ever have to buy...this is it. Very versatile-Best I've tried yet.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/ludwig-atlas-pro-ii-snare-stand

2Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Empty Re: Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:54 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Yeah, D.L. I checked this out. This stand is off the chain
as is their hi hat stand. The Ludwig Atlas hardware line is
among the best on the market today. It came out a couple
of years ago and made some major manufactures do a double
take... DW for one. The Atlas bass drum pedals (which I have)
are just as wicked. The snare stand is next on my list....

As soon as I start making the big money like you! Wink 

3Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Empty Re: Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:16 am

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Haha! No big money here. This will probably be the last snare stand I buy for a looong time.

4Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Empty Re: Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:24 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

It will likely be the last one you'll have to buy, D.L.
An amazing piece of engineering as snare stands go.

5Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Empty Re: Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:10 pm

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

For sure Don,
I also have the DW 9000 series heavy duty snare drum stand....and I hate it. It's construction is good, but the snare basket is terrible.

I don't like to tighten up the basket on my snare drum because it chokes the sound- or when I'm mounting toms either. With the DW design, the only way to get the grips on the stand to seat properly on the drum and have it sit with the intended angle is to totally tighten it. Plus the grips are made of super hard plastic to boot....useless in my opinion- they may have well just left the bare metal there.

The Ludwig grips are nice soft rubber, and the design lets the drum float in there while still keeping it tight. That was a big selling point for me. And the fact that you can adjust it to fit just about anything is great too.

6Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Empty Re: Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:23 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

You know what, D.L.? I never considered that
tightening the basket could choke the drum off.
Tomorrow, I'm going to take a much closer look
at that. What you say makes total sense and
I've never thought about that before.

I'm definitely going to loosen those claws. Yeah!
I think I'll pick up the snare stand in the next week
or two. Like I said, that entire Atlas line is very
impressive.

7Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Empty Re: Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:21 am

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Yeah it prevents the drum from vibrating freely. especially on toms if you mount them on a snare stand. I also never use those LP claws for miking my drums. Those are horrendous for killing your tone. I cringe when I go to do a gig and see sound men still using those things.

I find that the Sennheiser E604's work really well if your going to clamp something onto your toms. They're lightweight and don't effect the resonance at all. Plus they are pretty tough if you happen to whack one with a stick.

8Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Empty Re: Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:07 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Okay, D.L. I gotta admit that I do use
the LP clamp on my snare with an SM-57.
But it doesn't seem to cause any tone
problems with me because it clamps on
one small section of the bottom rim.

The other clamps I use for the toms are
not the E604's but very similar. The E604
is a cool setup. In my new band, I've just
began miking ALL of my drums all the time
and I'm loving it... But I have a lot to learn
in this regard.

No problem, I got master D.L. to show me
how it's done.

9Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Empty Re: Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:29 pm

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Ha- I'm no master! I've just tried a few things..more of a process of elimination type deal..If I had the luxury I wouldn't have anything clamped onto anything ever..but the 604's are pretty light and the clamps are a flexible rubber type material so they don't hurt the resonance.

The LP Claw wouldn't be all that bad to use on a snare I suppose. But toms...ughhh. I usually throw my 604's in my bag and If I show up to a gig and the sound man whips out those claws, I can tell him to please put them away haha.

Let me know how the Ludwig stand works out for you if you get it  Cool 

10Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Empty Re: Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:48 pm

Racman

Racman

Interesting about the snare claws hindering the resonance of a snare...makes sense now that you've mentioned it. Ludwig is coming up with some really superior quality construction, especially notable with their hardware innovations. That there adjustable wing-nuts really speaks about controlling the pressure on the rims, which could effect the shells vibration due to taking the true roundness of the shell out...yeah why not. Looking forward for more.

http://www.glennracoma.com

11Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Empty Re: Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:16 am

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Yeah Racman,
This is not a new concept at all.Tama made a sort of Free Floating snare stand years ago. I tried it and it was ok, just a little too bouncy for my taste. I like the solidity of a conventional stand,but always found that no one countered this issue.

Pearl also makes one that has the same idea as Ludwig, but the Ludwig one is just flat out better.

I may be nitpicking with my snare sound, but it does make a difference when you don't clamp up on the drum. You can always add tape if you want to deaden a drum, but not the opposite.. so I like mine as lively as I can get, then i'll adjust accordingly.

12Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Empty Re: Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:13 am

Racman

Racman

Hi Daveonskins,

I was referring to this attachment. It looks to me that the wing nut adjusts, either the stand's claw grip (basket) or it allows for extending the grip holders for various snare sizes...not sure.

Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand <a href=Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Ludwig29" />

13Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Empty Re: Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:44 am

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Yeah it does-I bought this stand for my wood hoop drum.

14Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Empty Re: Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:01 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Rac,

I believe when you loosen the wing nut that it allows
you to slide the grip holders either in or out,  thereby
adjusting the size of the basket for different size drums.

15Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Empty Re: Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:06 pm

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Yeah thats it Don-

16Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Empty Re: Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:19 pm

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

You can see a bit of it here Rac- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8AwJd2jDds
around the 3:00 mark-

17Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Empty Re: Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:34 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Diggin that hi-hat setup also!

18Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Empty Re: Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:00 pm

Racman

Racman

Yes, pretty cool indeed. That's what I thought it was for. Thanks for confirming that.
Rac

I'll see if any of them arrived here in Hawaii yet. Having said that, we usually have new products come in later than you would have them in the mainland.

19Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Empty Re: Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:09 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

D.L.,  I picked up the snare stand.  I got it
at a store called "Starving Musicians."  the
unfortunate thing for them is they can't seem
to move any of the new Ludwig hardware line.
The drum manager there tells me most customers
are fixated on DW.  He says he doesn't understand
it in that even the inexpensive DW hardware is
expensive.  The Ludwig gear is better, less expensive
and nobody wants it.

So the fortunate thing for me is he winds up blowing
this merchandise out just to get it out of his store.  I
got the stand for $100.00

He also has a bunch of PDP bass drum concept pedals
that he was originally selling for $200.00 and is now
selling them for $150.00 because he can't move them.
I tried one out and really dug the feel and action.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PDDPCXF?utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&utm_term=Bing_PLA_All_Products

20Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Empty Re: Ludwig Atlas Pro II Snare Drum Stand Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:11 am

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Wow that's a great deal Don! Your gonna love the stand.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum