BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

craig's list

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1craig's list Empty craig's list Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:25 pm

kenny

kenny

Whoa boy!! I just purchased a 5 piece pacific drumset including a dw7000 pedal, a hit hat with some cheaper sabian 14's and a cymbal stand with floor tom mount all for the low price of 100 U.S, dollars!!!!
I admit i feel like athief but what was i supposed to offer more money? He just wanted it out of his house so i helped him unload something that had little value to him. I've been wanting a better looking set for more upscale gigs anyway. this one's in mint condition. They aren't bad drums either. My son already has a set.

I also recently bought an f model mandolin with case for $260. The case alone is worth $110 so i got about an $800 mandolin for $150.

I also bought a 5 string acoustic viola/violin with case worth 100 for 175!! so 75 bucks for a 5 string fiddle is ridiculous.

I've just considerably upgraded my instrument collection.

You guys use this service? I've heard the san francisco craig's list is competitive and good to check out. is it strictly in the US or overseas?

http://www.balkanmusic.org

2craig's list Empty Re: craig's list Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:31 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Kenny, do, can you play all these different instruments?

3craig's list Empty Re: craig's list Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:30 am

kenny

kenny

I do Don. At least it's my attempt. I've been told my fiddle posture and technique is not bad for a self taught fiddle player. The mandolin is in the same tuning as violin in fifths so the are companion instuments. If you play fiddle you can most likely also pick some mandolin.

Toaday i played for the kinetic sculpture race with a small batucada group fusing west african traditions with brazilian and it was a blast.
I would set up rhythms and they would adapt them to the brazilian ensemble and we'd march around and i would also have them play their set pieces and play along with their grooves, picking up parts. just loose and fun. One older guy didn't like the drums and tried to smoke us out with his cigerette like mosquitos. So the surdo player played his big drum louder to battle back and the guy says to me i'd like to slice the heads on those drums. So i stopped us and said," Look we stopped. I'm listening to you. You don't need to threaten to pop our drumheads to have me listen to what you have to say."! I acknowledged his frustration and he says a little drums are okay. So We sang some nice quiet brazilian songs and things calmed down. Then we played sound effects to the different human powered vehicles as they went down the boatramp we'd accelerate and cresendo when they hit the water and floated down the river. What a wild time!

http://www.davinci-days.org/kinetic_challenge.php

4craig's list Empty Re: craig's list Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:26 am

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Congrats Kenny!!

Wow that's a great deal!--I use craigslist all the time here in Philly--I've found some nice gear on there. Plus you can look specifically in your area for stuff as opposed to EBay---

I've sold plenty on there as well, and I preffer to use craigslist cause there's no seller fees, and I don't have to ship stuff.

Great avatar pic by the way!---Good luck with the new kit---D.L.

5craig's list Empty Re: craig's list Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:01 pm

Woody

Woody

There are deals to be had on Craigslist.
I check it for drum gear daily.
I've even seen people give drums away on there.
You have to be on the ball as stuff goes quickly on Craigslist.
You can find just about anything you're interested in on there.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/robertwoodbury

6craig's list Empty Re: craig's list Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:56 am

woofus

woofus

Agreed, killer deals on craigslist . . . many procurements made this year including a Yamaha acoustic piano worth over $2500 for $250 delivered as gift to our pianist (changed his life). Got a great guitar for myself, some awesome backsplash tile for a song, a chimpanzee, Peavey amp worth $600 for $100 . . . much better than ebay because you can see the stuff before buying . . . and not worry about broken shipments . . . considering moving to Utah and getting a few extra wives off craigslist.

http://www.myspace.com/jazzstream23

7craig's list Empty Re: craig's list Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:04 pm

kenny

kenny

I tried out my new bass drum and snare at rehearsal last night. I didn't bring the toms because I often just bring hi hat snare and bass for rehearsing. I experimented muffling them. i put a baby blanket across half of my snare. I used to cut strips of t shirt material and lay them underneath the heads. I may try that again or use tape on top. Also i need to cut a hole in the bass drum front head and put more muffling inside. i usually put one of my canvas hardware bags inside along with the pillow for a tighter sound for more groove oriented stuff. i was playing with a more open jazz bass drum sound but i think the heavy muffling works better for the african and other dance based stuff. it's punchier and defines the groove more. I'm getting an idea of how these drums can sound with a more classic muffled sound and that will be a good change. next time i'll work on the toms.

So there i was with a hi hat snare and bass thinking why didn't i bring the whole kit? well it was 106 degrees so it was brutal and didn't feel like it. So I have this limited sound and i thought why not switch my hi hat top and bottom "sabian 13's with a Heavy bottom"and see what i get. Well it was like i had a dark ride cymbal on top now and i loved it! It was a huge breakthrough. I am also considering mounting a non opening hi hat above the rack toms or to the right. i could set it tight or loose according to the tune. I don't think i want to deal with a remote. they're spendy and i don't want more pedals to deal with. this would give me that open hand feel and having one functioning hat on the left could open up some interesting options. I can add the dble bass pedal for stuff now too. the dw 7000 with the kit felt solid. Another idea i had is to put another snare drum to the left and it could serve as a more open un muffled sound and with the snares off, a timbale!

So by starting out minimally i got all these new ideas to incorperate!
it is fun to have new stuff. Thanks craig's list!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum