BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Normally not into this..... But.....

+4
spanky
Daveonskins
Ted E. Bear
Woody
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Normally not into this.....  But..... Empty Normally not into this..... But..... Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:12 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

I tend not to allow myself to get caught up in this sort of thing but I must admit, this drummer's foot speed, consistency, cleanness and accuracy floored me. I found it quite amazing to be honest. You don't have to necessarily like something to understand and appreciate that it was done well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSDOP6OqPnA&feature=channel_page

2Normally not into this.....  But..... Empty Re: Normally not into this..... But..... Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:53 pm

Woody

Woody

In his socks, no less ....

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/robertwoodbury

3Normally not into this.....  But..... Empty Re: Normally not into this..... But..... Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:25 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Yeah, Woody.... Rockin, sockin! lol!

4Normally not into this.....  But..... Empty Re: Normally not into this..... But..... Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:00 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Yeah, that's the sort of stuff my son listens to, except there usually some sort of guttural screaming involved. LOL

very fast singles with his feet. Thomas lang and Virgil Donati are just as fast, but also play lots of varied patterns with their feet.

Their syncopation was good together. thanks for that Don !

Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

5Normally not into this.....  But..... Empty Re: Normally not into this..... But..... Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:12 pm

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Holy Mackerel.....

6Normally not into this.....  But..... Empty Re: Normally not into this..... But..... Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:01 pm

spanky

spanky

Tim "The Missile" Yeung is a prominent drummer in the extreme metal community. He was born on November 27, 1978 in Rochester, New York, though he currently resides in Los Angeles, California. Tim started playing drums when he was 11 years old.

Tim's video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyDPBzPxVkA&feature=player_embedded

He attended Hochstein School of Music in Rochester, New York until he graduated in 1995. He was first introduced to the death metal genre in the 1980s. His breakout performance was in 1999 on Hate Eternal's debut Conquering the Throne, after which he became a big name in the death metal scene. Although he left Hate Eternal after the release of Conquering the Throne, he started lending his talents as a session drummer, as a live drummer, such as with metalcore band All That Remains and death metal bands Vital Remains and Nile, and as a studio drummer, such as on ...And Time Begins by Santa Cruz, California-based brutal death metal band Decrepit Birth. Currently, Tim is the drummer and co-founder for the death metal/metalcore band Divine Heresy, and can be heard on their debut album Bleed The Fifth. He is also the drummer of World Under Blood, CKY frontman Deron Miller's death metal side project.

As his nickname implies, Tim is known as one of the fastest drummers in metal. In 2006, Tim hit 872 bass drum hits in one minute at a World's Fastest Drummer competition, which earned him the Fastest Feet Title for that event, though not the world record, which clocked in at 1407 hits in one minute, held by Tim Waterson who was using doubles, as opposed to single strokes.[1] By Tim (Yeung)'s standards, 872 hits in a minute is comparatively low, translating to one minute of 16th notes at 218 BPM, which is considerably slower than the speeds he has displayed in his group work, which he has been said to get to speeds of around the low 250's BPM. Yeung has stated in interviews that he could have played much faster if he were using his own setup.

Although he is most known as a drummer for brutal death metal bands such as Hate Eternal and Decrepit Birth, Tim has stated that he has diverse tastes. In the January 2008 issue of Drum! Magazine, Tim states "...if it has a good drummer then it's good music." His straddling of the extreme and mainstream is perhaps best reflected in his work with Divine Heresy, whose music features elements of extreme death metal as well as more mainstream genres such as metalcore (from Tommy Vext's vocals) and industrial metal (from ex-Fear Factory guitarist Dino Cazares' guitar work).

Tim is known to be close friends and a business colleague of film producer/musician Pascual Romero.

Tim uses Axis Percussion pedals, Vic Firth sticks, ddrums, and Sabian cymbals (as seen in Facebreaker music video)

7Normally not into this.....  But..... Empty Re: Normally not into this..... But..... Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:37 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Yeah, I saw this video also, Spanky. This kid has this stuff down no doubt. Even his slow speed is too fast for me. scratch

8Normally not into this.....  But..... Empty Re: Normally not into this..... But..... Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:26 pm

kenny

kenny

normally not interested still not even remotely interested.
i find this stuff absolutely mechanical and stiff sounding.
it doesn't have the improvisational flair of a second grader.
it sounds like it's name like a pact with the devil in musical terms I'll make you faster in exchange for your soul. death to improvisation and creativity
in exchange for more notes. it doesn't swing it sounds dead.
It sounds like everything this kind of music harps on,
military mechanisation no individuality

Where's the cookie monster vocals?

http://www.balkanmusic.org

9Normally not into this.....  But..... Empty Re: Normally not into this..... But..... Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:16 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

Musically it doesn't move me either, Kenny. Technically though I can appreciate this. The licks are consistent, clean on top of being ridiculously fast! And I for one can appreciate the effort it took to develop not just the speed but the character of it's execution. This is what these kids do and like it or not, there's no denying that it was done very well. And you can bet it's not something that's developed over night. Also, both these guys played these difficult lines right together. And it was tight as a drum. There's no getting around that they did what you didn't like very well. And I doubt anyone here would shun the chance of having that kind of speed and control. Personally, I could do a lot with such an ability.

I for one have to give them their props and I tip my hat to the both of them. I hear what you're saying to a degree. But I'm not one that advocates throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Oh, and when you find a second grader that can do what they did...., PLEASE post it here!

D.

10Normally not into this.....  But..... Empty Re: Normally not into this..... But..... Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:53 am

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

COOKIE MONSTER VOCALS ! HAHHAHAHAHAHHHAHAA

Describes them perfectly Kenny ! Wait till I lay that on my son ! LOL

thanks for that ! hahahhhahhahhaahhahahahaa

Peace, Ted

http://www.drumminfool.com

11Normally not into this.....  But..... Empty Re: Normally not into this..... But..... Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:44 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Ted E. Bear wrote:COOKIE MONSTER VOCALS ! HAHHAHAHAHAHHHAHAA

Describes them perfectly Kenny ! Wait till I lay that on my son ! LOL

thanks for that ! hahahhhahhahhaahhahahahaa

Peace, Ted

An old hat phrase that's used regularly for this kind of stuff, Ted. I guess even that takes talent in it's own right... Though I can't figure it out.
It's sort of like: Well, I really can't sing worth a damn anyway so let me just growl like I'm possessed by one of Satan's very own angels instead.

I ain't hipped to it... Maybe your son can enlighten me..? scratch

12Normally not into this.....  But..... Empty Re: Normally not into this..... But..... Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:05 pm

kenny

kenny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCgO2wzOX5g

There you go D. This kid is a million times funkier than
that dude without all those irritating bass drum strokes.
i appreciate what the metal guys do. It takes control for sure. i think it is totally mis directed as far using it to be more musical. i can appreciate
that it is everything that I think ruins the possibility of creating interesting music like showing off bpms. bpms shmee pms it sounds stupid to me.
I don't really care what people like to play, i don't have to listen to it.
thanks for sharing anyway. if people like it that doesn't bother me.
COOOOKIEEEE!!!!

13Normally not into this.....  But..... Empty Re: Normally not into this..... But..... Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:34 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Who said " that dude" was trying to be funky???

I saw this video of this young kid some 3 years ago, Kenny.... I even posted it on Billy's forum. I called it "Little monster". Nothing but chops city really. It says nothing of the fact that he can play MUSIC.... Yet again, I must admire this youngster's accomplishments. For me it's not so much about looking for what isn't there but rather looking for what is.

Okay, so maybe it's not musical (by OUR standards), but the speed, technique and control is impressive in it's own right. If it's done for speed sake by some then maybe someone who hears and sees this may take it and do something with the sake of music in mind.

Speed is not limited to only one musical context or genre. Because we may not like the context in which it was executed here does not mean that we should totally dismiss this ability and talent as a viable tool in a different musical situation and application, which is why I posted it. It's all about the possibilities, the diverse options without becoming jaded. When we stop exploring we stop growing.

D.

14Normally not into this.....  But..... Empty Re: Normally not into this..... But..... Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:23 pm

kenny

kenny

that little kid is playing musically. he's playing different grooves. he's showing he has a wealth of knowledge and ability at his young age.
I think that dbl bass metal drumming is not interesting musically. To me it's overkill. Whatever that kind of music is about I find it disturbing. that is probably the point i don't know. it rubs me the wrong way. i don't see any point in playing fast dbl bass rolls along with music. it is cluttered up and sounds ugly to me. Maybe that's what it's supposed to do. there is a band called meshuggah they play odd time signatures super loud and fast with cookie monster vocals. people think they are great. At what they do they are great yet i think they are the most abrasive thing i've ever heard. And granted the drummer is actually very musical in other settings. It is noisy trash to me. But here is the drummer doing some cool soloing over simple odd time signatures. I think the guitarist's tone sounds like ass but the drummer is very happening.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/?q=morgan%20agren&vid=5E3E8D9DFDAEB2D398195E3E8D9DFDAEB2D39819&FROM=LKVR5&GT1=LKVR5&FORM=LKVR23

15Normally not into this.....  But..... Empty Re: Normally not into this..... But..... Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:11 pm

Racman

Racman

No dought...this dude is flawlessly incredible. What some do with their hands, this guy does with the bottom. Wow!

D, you would'nt think the video was dubbed (edited) to where all of that is actually happening.?

All I can say is if I can't play a bottom like that, I have no negative opinion on it.

Thanks for that D. I really enjoyed that. I think as jazz/fusion players we need to simply recognise and appreciate the skill , devotion and commitment it takes getting to that level of performance. I think I could'nt have said it as well as you did D on your opening comment..... Because it's true.

You don't have to necessarily like something to understand and appreciate that it was done well.
D said

http://www.glennracoma.com

16Normally not into this.....  But..... Empty Re: Normally not into this..... But..... Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:37 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

Thanks for that D. I really enjoyed that. I think as jazz/fusion players we need to simply recognise and appreciate the skill , devotion and commitment it takes getting to that level of performance.

Thank you, Rac... And that is the whole reason in a nutshell that I posted it.... Kenny is simply hell bent on making it a musical issue, even after I made it quite clear in the very first post that it was posted from a technical point of view. You're saying you can't see the reason for doing this or for that, Kenny. Maybe the reason you can't see it is because you can't even begin to do it! So rather than acknowledge it for what it does have to offer, you choose to dismiss it entirely. I already know that being a technically gifted player does not necessarily make one a musical player, so let's not go there.

And for the record, I heard nothing musical about what that little kid played... Chop city is all. That kind of stuff is always impressive when it's just you and the drum kit in the room, minus any other players.

Hey, man, to each his own... I am impressed with it, you're not..... Cool! Cool It just would have been more interesting to have read what you had to say on the ACTUAL subject matter I posted it for.

I'm out!

D.

Last edited by D. Slam on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:12 pm; edited 2 times in total

17Normally not into this.....  But..... Empty Re: Normally not into this..... But..... Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:11 pm

fuzit

Dude playing the guitar ain't bad either!! I for one like those dense, dark chords...I Can live without the "Cookie Monster" vocals & the Doom & Gloom lyrics.

18Normally not into this.....  But..... Empty Re: Normally not into this..... But..... Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:57 pm

kenny

kenny

D. Slam wrote:
Kenny is simply hell bent on making it a musical issue, even after I made it quite clear in the very first post that it was posted from a technical point of view. You're saying you can't see the reason for doing this or for that, Kenny. Maybe the reason you can't see it is because you can't even begin to do it! So rather than acknowledge it for what it does have to offer, you choose to dismiss it entirely.

we need to simply recognise and appreciate the skill , devotion and commitment it takes getting to that level of performance.s I already know that being a technically gifted player does not necessarily make one a musical player, so let's not got there.

And for the record, I heard nothing musical about what that little kid played... Chop city is all. That kind of stuff is always impressive when it's just you and the drum kit in the room, minus any other players.

Hey, man, to each his own... I am impressed with it, you're not..... Cool! Cool It just would have been more interesting to have read what you had to say on the ACTUAL subject matter I posted it for.

I'm out!

D.

try not to take what i have to say personally.
Divine heresy is exactly what this is to me.
I'm sorry Don but i am not capable of seperating music and technique. To me the purpose of playing is to elicit emotion from the listener not have them seperate it into technical aspects. maybe i have a disability but i refuse to find this bpm business awesome or inspirational. if i found it interesting on a musical level maybe i would respect the techniques but, i don't therefore, the whole excersize becomes problematic. if i wanted to sound like a chainsaw i would get a chainsaw.
There is nothing difficult about single strokes on dbl bass underneath a groove. It is an assault on my sensibility and that's why i don't like it. It is for people tweaking on meth. if that's what you want to get behind than do so. i am happy for them and hope they get all the meth they deserve. maybe if i put some of those metal barbells in my eyebrows i will understand the style. right now it is not working for me. sorry for the inconvenience.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/inspiration-at-it-s-best/46C3D335FC80D50C3A0846C3D335FC80D50C3A08

19Normally not into this.....  But..... Empty Re: Normally not into this..... But..... Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:17 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

I'm sorry Don but i am not capable of seperating music and technique.

In that case, I'm sorry too, Kenny. So in other words when a player sits down and does a double stroke roll and it's tight then that automatically make it musical in your estimation. So if the technique is good yet the roll is applied in the wrong context it's musical anyway simply because the technique was properly executed. And Billy Cobham is no more technically proficient than Ringo Starr who no doubt played quite musically with the Beatles. and lastly, what you're saying is not only is the guy in the clip I posted a non musical player, but he is also lacking technically in his execution.

Cmon, Kenny... Rolling Eyes

I'm not taking it personally, I just think your being closed mind and stubborn. But that's your prerogative Isn't it?.

20Normally not into this.....  But..... Empty Re: Normally not into this..... But..... Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:04 am

kenny

kenny

a dbl stroke roll played by itself? That's just a rudiment. It can be music sure. Fine. if it is applied to some musical situation then it may be tight with the other musicans. you could play a dbl stroke roll as an accompanyment pattern then it could be tight. There is no right or wrong context it just matters if it sounds pleasing or not. I'm saying in my experience that single stroke bassdrum thing is very easy. yes i am stubborn when it comes to my values. That band is out of my comfort zone. I am not going to root for moronic dbl bass playing. especially when the guy ain't got no hands. it is in no way cool. fast okay if you say so. cool no. if you do that in private and practice it that's cool but it's not the most functional musical motif. I think it is very bland and unfunky. it is like lifting weights that's cool do that on your own time not in a song.
if you listen to how billy applies his techniques I believe he is much more concerned with the musicality of the composition than any competitive fast playing. he even said he thought he overplayed early on. it's how the techniques make the listener feel not how much technique you can throw in for show. It sickens me. I can't look at technique without hearing the context it's in. It's still a single stroke bass drum roll. easy as pie!

that little kid shows he can play several types of 4/4 grooves, a 12/8 and improvise showing an advanced musicality at a young age . If you don't hear that then that is your perogative. Ringo is a great drummer because he makes music not bpms. I distinguish between what is technique what is musical and how they work together not what is the fastest and why is it superior because it's not. it sounds like idiots on meth. With very little musical background. except they are angry about something and they can play fast but the phrasing is weak because they don't know much.
Yes that guy lacks musical experience other than WFD competitions. I don't have to like it because i find it unfunky, less advanced musically. normally not into it still not into it. thanks for sharing D. i respect you. You're a good man. Sorry i couldn't see the point of this paticular case study.

21Normally not into this.....  But..... Empty Re: Normally not into this..... But..... Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:28 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Values??!! what does values have to do with this??! I was talking about the man's technical execution behind what he did and the context in which he applied it or your personal likes and dislikes had nothing to do with it. You're the one who insists on making this a musical issue which wasn't the purpose in which I posted this. Like it or not, it was well executed. and if you can't hear it, Kenny then that's your problem. I for one can't stand surfer music but That doesn't keep me from recognizing when it's done well.

And my point about the double stroke roll was to show that even though technique is in everything we do, technique and musicality CAN be separated. If you play a dbl stroke roll (or anything for that matter) with a band and it's out out context then it's not going to sound musical no matter how technically well it was executed... On the other hand that does not determine how well the roll was actually executed. One does not have to have a bearing on the other. So how can you sit there and tell me that you cannot separate the two... Just how long have you been playing exactly?!

I have yet to hear you say that this guys technical execution, not his musicality but his technical execution was sloppy. And you can't because you know it was good... The stubbornness on your part is that you continue to argue from a Musical platform without any regard for the reason this clip was actually posted. You're using diversion just to make your point. You've "flipped the script" as they say.

In short, I think you're a good man also, Kenny but you're stubborn and you're wrong.... And with that, I'm ending my involvement in this debate. silent

Thanks for your input,

D.

22Normally not into this.....  But..... Empty Re: Normally not into this..... But..... Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:52 am

kenny

kenny

yes it is a flawless single stroke roll on bass drums. Fastest in the world amazing i get it now.

if i want to listen to that I'll let them know. Thanks for the warning.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum