BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Quick Catch Up

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Quick Catch Up Empty Quick Catch Up Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:10 am

MIKE

MIKE

Hi guys,
Thanks to Suss's prompting......Thought i'd just share a little of whats been goin on since the old site.

I've made some quite major changes in both technical/conceptual areas concerning the drums + my role in an ensemble.
This is due in large parts to playing w/ some very hip affraid players Cool

My left hand is sooooo much stronger now ..........it's unbelievable for me just how far i've come.

I remember watching an interview w/ Mel Lewis, where he explained that when trying 2 drive a band, he likes 2 be subtle + "get underneath them" .......as opposed to the (sometimes) BR way of hammering the band..........which results in (as Mel put it) a "nervous thing happening" .

For the 1st time in my life i've been practicing pianissimo (v. quiet) jazz ride - going from slow 2 fast speeds over the course of a couple of hours @ each practise session, whilst keeping the dynamics DOWN!

Not only am i swinging harder/more relaxed when i play........but automatically i'm listening more.....+ therefore ideas that are "mine" are naturally starting to creep in2 my vocabulary on the drums.

Also, I'm really starting 2 hear just how STRONG the influence of Africa has been on many of the genres we play 2day..........from JayZ...Ray Barretto....Art Blakey+the messengers...etc etc

As a result of all this, (especially re. the feeling of always playing catch up re. L lead), I'm basically saying YES 2 most kinds of gigs...as long as im free 2 do them....This is leading 2 some dodgy moments! Suspect .........but also some outtasight moments!! sunny

The next few ideas i'd like 2 get goin are taking some proper conga instruction, + get more in2 the world music scene in London Cool

Btw...... if any1 has some brazillian music they really love.........it'd be great 2 hear your reccomendations!!

Cheers Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by MIKE on Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Quick Catch Up Empty Re: Quick Catch Up Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:18 pm

Suss

Suss

MIKE wrote:Hi guys,
I remember watching an interview w/ Mel Lewis, where he explained that when trying 2 drive a band, he likes 2 be subtle + "get underneath them" .......as opposed to the (sometimes) BR way of hammering the band..........which results in (as Mel put it) a "nervous thing happening" .

For the 1st time in my life i've been practicing pianissimo (v. quiet) jazz ride - going from slow 2 fast speeds over the course of a couple of hours @ each practise session, whilst keeping the dynamics DOWN!

Not only am i swinging harder/more relaxed when i play........but automatically i'm listening more.....+ therefore ideas that are "mine" are naturally starting to creep in2 my vocabulary on the drums.

Also, I'm really starting 2 hear just how STRONG the influence of Africa has been on many of the genres we play 2day..........from JayZ...Ray Barretto....Art Blakey+the messengers...etc etc

As a result of all this, (especially re. the feeling of always playing catch up re. L lead), I'm basically saying YES 2 most kinds of gigs...as long as im free 2 do them....This is leading 2 some dodgy moments! Suspect .........but also some outtasight moments!! sunny

The next few ideas i'd like 2 get goin are taking some proper conga instruction, + get more in2 the world music scene in London Cool

Btw...... if any1 has some brazillian music they really love.........it'd be great 2 hear your reccomendations!!

Cheers Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quick Catch Up Mike-Logo-White-760091

Wow Mike... now that's what I'm talkin' about; and thanks for sharing your development over the past months. I really like what you shared with Mel Lewis' comments. My sentiments exactly Mike.

Personally I find it very difficult to play pp except in ballads and sensitive sections of an otherwise up tempo tune. Sounds like you have the key to doing that. Any tips?

I also appreciated hearing how you're branching out into a full blown percussionist!

Keep it up Mike!

Cool Cool Cool

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnsussewell  http://www.facebook.co

3Quick Catch Up Empty Re: Quick Catch Up Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:42 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Some very positive things going on here, Mike! Please keep us informed.

H.A.

4Quick Catch Up Empty Re: Quick Catch Up Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:55 pm

MIKE

MIKE

Quick Catch Up ALF908084

Well Suss,
I was checking out a friends gig.... + was sat 1 chair from their great drummer......when he knocked me sideways-playing these really fast tempos quietly!!
Well......im sure i'd seen his particular hand posture before.....so i searched my dvds + found Mel doin the same on the above dvd.

The way i'm (still!) workin on it is:
Basically when playin the standard jazz ride pattern:
Quick Catch Up Time7
Stick is held loosely, french grip + it's more a slidin down the stick motion w/ the thumb to get the bounce (starting on last 16th of beat 2 and beat 4)
THESE ARE OBVIOUSLY SWUNG THO!! (NOT ACTUAL 16THS AS IN THAT PIC!)

Would really advise getting dat dvd if u don't have it! Very Happy

5Quick Catch Up Empty Re: Quick Catch Up Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:14 pm

MIKE

MIKE

Hey Don,
Will keep you posted.........w/ some good tracks in the future....

Meanwhile........here's me on 3hrs sleep! What a Face

http://www.myspace.com/martinjenkinstrio

Not a fan, of much on here Embarassed .....was really too tired 2 be recording........but check out the drum solo on beatrice...i do like the space....something i'd like 2 develop further Idea

6Quick Catch Up Empty Re: Quick Catch Up Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:50 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Nice touch, Jr. The style of jazz you guys play reminds me a little of Vince Guaraldi.

I personally liked your solo on "Didn't know what time it was".

Though I'd like to hear a bit more dynamics, It was very tastey, Mike. Keep it up.

H.A.

P.S. Your example is a good, basic, exercise.

7Quick Catch Up Empty Re: Quick Catch Up Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:19 pm

woofus

woofus

Listening to "Scope" now . . . more Monk than Guaraldi that one . . . well played, Mike! Great to hear you! I'll take another pint . . . yay, Mike! drunken

http://www.myspace.com/jazzstream23

8Quick Catch Up Empty Re: Quick Catch Up Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:05 am

Suss

Suss

I like your "space" on Beatrice too Mike. I can tell you are spending a lot of time developing not only ears, but the technique to play through the bars rather than be limited by them.

Very nice man... keep up the great work!

Very Happy

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnsussewell  http://www.facebook.co

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum