BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Great band!

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Great band! Empty Great band! Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:58 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Stanley knocked it out of the park with this one...

Hiromi Uehara is amazing... The whole band really!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCNVr-4xDnU&feature=player_embedded#at=444

2Great band! Empty Re: Great band! Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:45 pm

spanky

spanky

That is one great band nice little solos from everyone.

3Great band! Empty Re: Great band! Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:07 am

spanky

spanky

Check out Stanley Clark's drummer Ronald Bruner Jr, do some Mahavishnu, You Know You Know, in about the last 5 minutes of this video, and he does it fantastic, his speed and his precision reminds me of a young Billy doing this tune, Billy had a whole lot of energy at that time and I mean a lot of it. And my man Ronald here has got this tune down.

4Great band! Empty Re: Great band! Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:21 pm

spanky

spanky

I can't stop watching that Ronald Bruner video.

5Great band! Empty Re: Great band! Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:33 pm

spanky

spanky

Move over Tony Royster. But I think Billy started this kind of playing, in the fusion world, because nobody before Billy ever sounded like that. Now you have Ronald Bruner doing You Know, You Know and he is laying down what Billy has laid down decades ago. And even though Ronald is Ronald, as he is playing You Know, You Know I see Billy all over him. And outside of Billy, I think Ronald does that tune better than any other drummer that I have heard do it. Forgive me guy's I just got excited.

6Great band! Empty Re: Great band! Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:21 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

Spanky, Ronald Bruner is the real deal! Playing with musical icons such as Stanley Clark and George Duke.

I do want to add that I just watched the video a day after posting this, and I have to say that though Ron is
a real fire starter, I thought he was a bit sloppy during this particular session of soloing. As a black man myself,
I'd like to hear less athletics with a more musical approach in it's stead from black drummers. Stop worrying so
much about how fast and hard they can get around the kit.

This is what I really like about Greg Clark, his contextual approach in what he does in conjunction with the music
and those he plays it with.

7Great band! Empty Re: Great band! Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:07 am

kenny

kenny

I have to agree with you Don. This guy is obviously a natural talent but i didn't really enjoy the clip. And i see what you've been saying about royster it's alot of hard slammin and amazing virtuosity but there is still an important piece missing. And that is dynamics. Sometimes a musician must attempt to include the listener and also listen. i understand the way this guy plays because I've caught myself doihg the same thing. Just wailing away but forgetting to incorperate a larger picture like, what it might actually sound like. You have to show that you can also do all that stuff at a low volume level rather than just one volume. the guy can really play though more power to him!

http://www.balkanmusic.org

8Great band! Empty Re: Great band! Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:27 am

spanky

spanky

Kenny I don't know what you saw, but on You Know, You Know, Ronald was right on the mark, he was playing that as good as it gets. That type of playing might not be exciting to you, but to countless others it is.

9Great band! Empty Re: Great band! Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:29 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

spanky wrote:Kenny I don't know what you saw, but on You Know, You Know, Ronald was right on the mark, he was playing that as good as it gets. That type of playing might not be exciting to you, but to countless others it is.

I enjoy Ron Bruner, I know he can play. He certainly wouldn't be with the likes of Stanley Clark and George Duke if it were
otherwise. But no, Spanky, that was NOT "right on the mark" or "as good as it gets". He was playing so hard and so fast that
he actually missed a couple of spots... No big deal, it happens to all of us. For me, this kind of soloing is so typical in many black
drummers.

It's power and speed, based more on athletics than musicality. Again, I like Ron. This particular clip (solo section) didn't move me,
and apparently didn't move Kenny, but so what?! If you like it, then it's a good thing where you're concerned. Why do you keep
feeling the need to defend what you like? It's okay for some to like it as it is for some not to.... What's the problem?

10Great band! Empty Re: Great band! Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:41 pm

spanky

spanky

Well Don I guess I am defending what I like, but I just wanted to let Kenny know that many people like that type of drumming. And you are right Don most of the young black drummers that I see here in Philly and everywhere else is into chops and speed. And especially Gospel drummers, because the way modern contemporary or R&B Gospel is constructed today we drummers have the freedom to do what we want. And in my church that is exactly what happens. Below is my church Don.
http://www.christiancompassion.com/

11Great band! Empty Re: Great band! Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:27 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Very nice, Spanky.... I was at a clinic with Deen Castronovo.... He made what I thought to be a somewhat strange statement.
He said that "there are no rules when it comes to playing." I tend to disagree with that. My belief is such that you must know
what the rules are to truly understand how to bend them, and even break them on occaision. Where there are no rules there
is no discipline, and where there is no discipline there is kaos... And we all know what that can sound like.

12Great band! Empty Re: Great band! Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:34 am

kenny

kenny

Hi Spanky, If you read the last line of my post you'll see what i think of him. I just wasn't blown away by his interpretation Spank. yes he did play hard and fast and nailed some of the changes on the money but I guess I hear something else in that tune that he didn't offer my ears. I think of that tune as something much more delicate and beautiful than simply something to blow over. I did think Mr bruner showed that he was technically an outstanding drummer but i guess i personally want to hear something more on that particular tune. And that has to do with feeling and emotion rather than going for a thesis in blowing over changes. Not really sure i haven't totally analyzed it. i just know what my personal feeling was after all was said and done was that yes this dude can play his ass off. i guess i didn't want to merely hear him play his ass off but also incorperate some more musical depth as well. no harm done it was a darn good solo. I do enjoy that kind of thing Spanky was i not the one defending tony R jr until all hell broke loose? I just did not hear depth of emotion in that particular tune and that was something Billy did on the original. he gave it an emotional quality not just "watch me have my way with this tune".

http://www.balkanmusic.org

13Great band! Empty Re: Great band! Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:13 pm

spanky

spanky

kenny wrote: Hi Spanky, If you read the last line of my post you'll see what i think of him. I just wasn't blown away by his interpretation Spank. yes he did play hard and fast and nailed some of the changes on the money but I guess I hear something else in that tune that he didn't offer my ears. I think of that tune as something much more delicate and beautiful than simply something to blow over. I did think Mr bruner showed that he was technically an outstanding drummer but i guess i personally want to hear something more on that particular tune. And that has to do with feeling and emotion rather than going for a thesis in blowing over changes. Not really sure i haven't totally analyzed it. i just know what my personal feeling was after all was said and done was that yes this dude can play his ass off. i guess i didn't want to merely hear him play his ass off but also incorperate some more musical depth as well. no harm done it was a darn good solo. I do enjoy that kind of thing Spanky was i not the one defending tony R jr until all hell broke loose? I just did not hear depth of emotion in that particular tune and that was something Billy did on the original. he gave it an emotional quality not just "watch me have my way with this tune".
I like that free playing, I got into his feeling and I loved it. And did he remind me of Billy yes he did, because of all that speed and power. Because when Billy was younger he was a high octane drummer too, depending upon the song, when he was with Mahavishnu.

14Great band! Empty Re: Great band! Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:41 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

I like it too..., When it's in context.... overall, I thought Ron did pretty good.
Things got a little crazy I thought, and I hear SOOO much of that stuff. But
it be what it be... He's playing with George Duke and Stanley Clark....

Shut my mouth! silent

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum