BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

studio drum manipulation

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1studio drum manipulation Empty studio drum manipulation Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:31 am

kenny

kenny

i have been doing a project with a friend who has a nice home studio and alot of chops with his effects and equipment. he's gone to school for it and really knows alot about recording. We've been dissecting things and putting it back together and creating beats and new stuff from my live drumming and other instruments by: manipulating, looping and effecting things with reverb, delays and whatnot. It's been very exciting. And i come from the opposite side of it as a player and never believed much in sampling and manipulating, or as it's been referred to as "studio as an instrument". i've been wanting to "interface" with this sort of thing for a while and am finally having the opportunity. it comes with it's ups and downs. He's young and comes from a hip hop background, I have to really let him know when i don't like something and be honest about how the end result makes me feel. And he has responded really well. It's hard not to get defensive but he shows me respect me and really listens to what i have to say. We learn from each other it's been very exciting and fun to work this way. i still play plenty of live music but it's been interesting to come from this different angle for a change. i play different instruments along to click tracks then he takes things and puts them together and sends it to me with some pretty wild results. Hopefully i can post some things at some point. Do you guys have any tips or experience to share? my outlook is more minimalist and less is more rings true with this kind of thing as it's too easy to keep adding and affecting everything. it's all pretty raw and improvised at first then we refine it and turn it into things and have other people play on it. When we come to an agreement it is often a great collaboration and the options are unlimited.
any feedback?
your thoughts

http://www.balkanmusic.org

2studio drum manipulation Empty Re: studio drum manipulation Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:07 am

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Hi Kenny,
That sounds like a cool collaboration you're into right now. It's always a good thing to step out of your box and try new ideas like that- it changes your whole perspective. Although your working with someone who's backround is completely different, that might work in your favor to coming up with something original, I would say just stay open minded, and try everything..

On another note, I've used this phrase sampler before with some pretty cool results when applied to a drumset.
check it out here--- http://looperpedalreviews.com/?page_id=16

I've also ran my drums through delay pedals, and heavy gates, and you can really get some different sounds that you would never expect to get out of an acoustic drumset.

Good luck with your project, and I'd love to hear what you come up with---D.L.

3studio drum manipulation Empty Re: studio drum manipulation Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:54 pm

woofus

woofus

Really looking forward to hearing this stuff, kenny. Sounds like a nice energy you have going there and it's bound to be beautiful . . . like a living art project.

http://www.myspace.com/jazzstream23

4studio drum manipulation Empty Re: studio drum manipulation Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:56 pm

boomer

Kenny: Don't stop what you are doing! I look forward to listening to what you guys come up with.
Boomer cheers

5studio drum manipulation Empty Re: studio drum manipulation Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:36 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

Looking forward to hearing what you guys come up with, Kenny.

Just a side note.... I've always wanted to do a duet with just B3 and drums,
with the organist kicking bass on the pedals... Doing really cool Jimmy Smith
kinda stuff. Hope I can get into that a bit before my time is done... Anyway,
please keep us posted!

6studio drum manipulation Empty Re: studio drum manipulation Mon May 02, 2011 7:08 pm

kenny

kenny

oh wow i just had the most amazing recording session. We brought in a bassist and he just breathed new life into the music. Now the arrangements are all open to change because he just added the missing element we needed for creating solo sections. It seems backwards to add bass later but it worked like magic! I knew he was the guy for this project. He is well rounded in rock and blues but for this kind of music it's because of his reggae bass background. Now we got phat bass goin on and some funky slap bass on this high energy middle eastern "chiftitelli" groove. This was so exciting. can't wait to have some guitarists and other instrumentalists come in then it's finished.

http://www.balkanmusic.org

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum