BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Billy, from your head to staff paper.

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Billy, from your head to staff paper. Empty Billy, from your head to staff paper. Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:05 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Hi, B,

I was sitting here listening to "Palindrome" and it got me wondering about your
writing process. My question is do you work these pieces out on a keboard and/
or some other instrument? Do you then jot your concepts down on staff by hand
or do you use a transcribing software that does this as you play and then you make
whatever adjustments and symbolic notation that may be necessary, afterward?

I ask you this because you write very intricate melody lines, some of which are layered
where there is a main melody and then a sub melody if you will, to further inhance and
reinforce the foundation of the piece(s).

Would you elaborate on your method in this area?

boomer

Hi Don:
My method of composing is coming from melodies that I hear in my head as the basis of the musical direction I feel for a particular idea. I write without a musical instrument at hand but use my computer software to design the treatment of the melodies that I jot down, in a manner of speaking, in Sibelius music publishing software when ever the materialize. If I don't have a computer for access then, I will use my solfeggio skills to try and get close to what I am hearing in my head that way. Sometimes this approach brings very positive results in a different way and it spurs me on to be creative using this platform as well. The Sibelius approach is a much more effective way to go for me though, as I am able to listen to what I have written, in real time and assess its' validity in order to expand upon the idea in general.
I hope this answers your question scratch

Boomer

D. Slam

D. Slam

Very interesting, Billy.... Thank you!

4Billy, from your head to staff paper. Empty Re: Billy, from your head to staff paper. Mon May 02, 2011 10:16 am

Niki

Niki

Yes, I'm still here, mostly reading! Shocked

I also found it interesting how the compositions on Palindrom are polyphonic to a degree I think I haven't heard in Billy's work yet. Maybe on some of the GRP recordings it was similar. So I wonder does writing on a computer with programs like Finale or Sibelius influence the compositional outcome? I guess every tool does influence the endproduct of art. But how much is a construct of the ability to use a tool and how much is an essentially generated idea?

Best wishes to all of you,
Niki

http://myspace.com/nikidolp

D. Slam

D. Slam

Hi, Niki,

Great to read you... Hope you're doing well and that you still have time
to do some playing from time to time.... I would hate to think that the
software that is used would have an influence on the outcome of the music.
That's kinda like saying that the hammer has an influence on thestructure of
the house that was built. I would like to think that it is simply a tool to bring
the preconceived ideas to visual and audible form. Thus the real life is given to
these musical ideas when they are actually performed, breathing life into a thing
and giving it a soul.

My .02.

Niki

Niki

Hi Don,

Great to read you too. It has been a while. I'm still playing quite a bit! Hope you are well too and your family. I'm sure you are still playing and going for it! Cool

The hammer - house comparison is a good one I think. In my eyes the hammer has an influence on what is build. Imagine standing there without a hammer and trying to build a house. The house sure would look different when you haven't certain tools to use, simply because the hammer allows you to construct certain things you are not able to produce without it. I guess with a new tool you start to invent new things, because the tool itself gives you new ideas and possibilities to produce something. Still, of course, behind everything - no matter which tools are used - there's the mind, the idea of somebody. And without this idea and mind the best tools will lead to : Nothing of substance!

my 2 cents...

Best
Niki

http://myspace.com/nikidolp

7Billy, from your head to staff paper. Empty Re: Billy, from your head to staff paper. Tue May 03, 2011 12:56 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

Well said, Niki... But what I think the "hammer" or any other tool does is allow you to
assemble the preconceived ideas. The size, layout and strength of the "house" is laid
out in the thought and planning process well before the tool was even picked up to be
used. However, I can see how discovering a certain feature about the tool that was not
previously understood could have a bearing on the outcome of the developing subject at
hand... Good point!

I'm happy to read that you're still playing. These are peralis times, please take special care.

boomer

With software like Sibelius, Finale or Performer an Cubase one can get an idea from a small thread just by listening to it and then incorporating it into various simulated musical situations that would otherwise not be so readily available if the writer did not have a preconceived idea when he or she put pen to paper. In this way I find it fun to hear my themes presented in different musical formats as I can learn why certain rules apply in certain situations and not others. In essence the software helps the writer to find a path that feels most comfortable for him.
It's good to chat about this aspect guys, thanks. Good to see you taking part Niki.

Boomer

D. Slam

D. Slam

You know what, B? That absolutely makes perfectly good sense! Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum