BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tom Tom Resonant Head Tuning

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Tom Tom Resonant Head Tuning Empty Tom Tom Resonant Head Tuning Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:03 pm

spanky

spanky

A question for you cats, how much higher do some you tune your resonant head than your batter head. Now some people tune them a tad lower. What do some of you guy's do. I tune mine higher. Many people down play how important the resonant head is in tuning, and even the resonant head should sound the same at each tuner, just as the batter side.

2Tom Tom Resonant Head Tuning Empty Re: Tom Tom Resonant Head Tuning Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:42 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Spanky,

I'm always looking for resonance and a touch of pitch bend when tuning my toms.
And you get the pitch bend by tuning the resonant head tighter than the batter head.

How much tighter I couldn't say but tighter definitely.

3Tom Tom Resonant Head Tuning Empty Re: Tom Tom Resonant Head Tuning Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:11 pm

spanky

spanky

Pitch bend is what I like.

4Tom Tom Resonant Head Tuning Empty Re: Tom Tom Resonant Head Tuning Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:49 pm

spanky

spanky

Ok so Don how tight do you tune your resonant side of the snare, just tight enough to take the wrinkles out, or a little bit more tight, and some like the snare to sound choked, by making the resonant head a little tight. It's a preference kind of thing I know but what do you and some of the others like to do with their snare on this board.

5Tom Tom Resonant Head Tuning Empty Re: Tom Tom Resonant Head Tuning Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:41 am

spanky

spanky

The reason that I asked the snare question up above, was a for some reason, I was having trouble tuning my Sonor, or rather getting it just right for some reason. Aqaurian Super 2 batter and a Evans Hazy 300 resonant, or maybe it's just me, or the acoustics of my basement. But I did not have a problem with the toms. I do live in another house now, and I have been here for about 3 months, and the basement is smaller than the other house..

6Tom Tom Resonant Head Tuning Empty Re: Tom Tom Resonant Head Tuning Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:08 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Hi, Spanky,

Sorry, I didn't see this for awhile.... I tune my top and bottom heads very tight, but not so tight to where the snare loses it's natural tone.
My rule is if you can't hear the snares rattle, then the heads are too tight or they're the wrong heads. I don't know what kind problem you're
having because you didn't specify.

One of my snare drums is a Steve Ferrone model. It's a 6.5 " black anodized steel shell with polished bronze hoops, gorgeous drum, but it sounded like
crap and I couldn't figure out why. Come to find out that the heads I had on it were too thick. I put a coated Ambassador on the top and a
clear Diplomat on the bottom and now it sings like a bird. The same thing happened with my Mapex snare that I bought from Billy. I'm lovin it now!

Those Aquarian heads are known to be thick and I for one think they just kill the tone in a drum. I like their kick heads but that's it as far as Aquarian goes.

7Tom Tom Resonant Head Tuning Empty Re: Tom Tom Resonant Head Tuning Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:50 am

spanky

spanky

Thanks Don. By the way has Billy finished selling his old stuff yet ?

8Tom Tom Resonant Head Tuning Empty Re: Tom Tom Resonant Head Tuning Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:56 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

Can't say for sure, Spanky. Billy hasn't asked if I wanted to buy anything. Should I hear something from him, I'll let you
know if he doesn't notify everyone here first.

9Tom Tom Resonant Head Tuning Empty Re: Tom Tom Resonant Head Tuning Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:28 pm

spanky

spanky

Thanks Don, I really want to buy something of his like a snare, on the old site when he was getting rid of some stuff, I was not working steady like I am now. I'll say this, the next time he does, I am on it, and above all it is personal, because would keep it until I die.

10Tom Tom Resonant Head Tuning Empty Re: Tom Tom Resonant Head Tuning Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:27 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Spanky,

Billy sold me a snare for $200.00... This piece was worth at least $500.00 even used... And even more so just for the fact that it was owned and played by Billy Cobham! I still have the head that he signed before sending it. It is a high instrument of craftsmanship through and through. Since putting heads on it that allows it to be all it can be, the drum is absolutely awesome! It weighs a half ton, btw. Smile

I'm proud to have it and to play it.

I'll tell you what though, the most awesome snare drum I've seen to date is Billy's Septembre drum.... Wicked!

11Tom Tom Resonant Head Tuning Empty Re: Tom Tom Resonant Head Tuning Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:16 pm

spanky

spanky

That's what I am talking about Don, having something that Billy played on. So Billy the next time that you are on here let me know something my brother, if you read this.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum