BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

What is a Church Drummer?

+3
Suss
spanky
D. Slam
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1What is a Church Drummer? Empty What is a Church Drummer? Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:41 pm

Asaph

Asaph

I have seen this term on the forum (and elsewhere) regarding some kind of style, rather than particular players.

Just what is a "church drummer,' or 'church drumming,' if not a drummer drumming in a church?

http://drumsinhisheart.weebly.com

2What is a Church Drummer? Empty Re: What is a Church Drummer? Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:53 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

A church drummer is precisely that, a drummer that plays in church.

Now, you may be referring to the term "Gospel drummer". which is more
narrowly defined. To understand that you must first understand something
of negro gospel spirituals and the traditions of worship and praise. If you've
never been to a black church service of pentecostal background, then you'll
never quite get it.

3What is a Church Drummer? Empty Re: What is a Church Drummer? Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:30 pm

Asaph

Asaph

Yes, sorry. Gospel Drummer/Drumming.

Having been to such services before, or seeing them, I cannot say I beheld or heard drummers doing anything special or technically different in terms of time keeping or style compared to other genres. The music itself is a combination of well-known styles.

When looking at the "gospel drummers" gaining notice for their chops they seem influenced by any number of drummers in soul, R&B, and fusion, etc.

Is it just a category of players, then?

4What is a Church Drummer? Empty Re: What is a Church Drummer? Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:56 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Gospel drumming is a basic combination of
r&b, funk, hip hop and fusion. The gospel
drum sound is usually one where the snare
is tuned very tight and the playng is tight,
quick and snappy. In modern day gospel
drumming speed plays a large role. You
should be able to do very fast hand and
feet combinations with keen precision.
The hi hats played tightly closed plays
a pivitol role in this sound.

I actually like the concept, it's just that
everyone that does it all use the same
basic licks and sound alike.

Now this tune isn't gospel, but the drums
here are very typical of what happens in
that genra.

5What is a Church Drummer? Empty Re: What is a Church Drummer? Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:20 pm

Asaph

Asaph

The hand/foot combinations do seem to be fairly common among these players. John Blackwell-type stuff.

6What is a Church Drummer? Empty Re: What is a Church Drummer? Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:47 am

spanky

spanky

Modern Gospel drummers do a lot of chops, modern R&B type gospel allows you the freedom to do so. Traditional 1-2 beat Gospel is almost a thing of the past today, although we still play it. When I play Gospel now I do more chops than years ago because you have the freedom to do so. So Gospel chop drummers are just that chop drummers. And in many of the churches today that I go to, if there is a young drummer there, most of the time they are a chop drummers. The new generation loves chop drumming and so do I. I am still trying to improve my chop drumming. But I am here to tell you that chop drumming has it's place and should not be applied to every song. Some chop drummers try to put to much in a song and I am not with that. But if it;s the right tune, go for it. I love Gospel chop drummers.

7What is a Church Drummer? Empty Re: What is a Church Drummer? Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:32 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

You know, I gotta say though, looking at
this clip of Eric playing, one can only imagine
the huge amount of calories he burns off.

And with that, looking at Eric's physical make
up, one can only imagine the humongous amount
of calories he consumes. affraid

8What is a Church Drummer? Empty Re: What is a Church Drummer? Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:32 pm

Suss

Suss

Correct on all counts… especially the “chop approach” to Pentecostal fellowships (after all, there are some churches that don’t even believe that music and dance is relevant). Gospel music in general, however, has changed dramatically over the past 40 – 50 years; and it really depends on who you’re talking to with any experience during that period of time.

In essence, “gospel” music is like any other genre: it grows. The most significant difference is that the role of music in the Christian church is largely dependent upon the Message being conveyed by the fellowship’s leadership.

Now if you start talking about how this music is marketed to “worshippers,” then that’s another matter altogether… at least in my opinion.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnsussewell  http://www.facebook.co

9What is a Church Drummer? Empty Re: What is a Church Drummer? Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:59 am

Asaph

Asaph

Yeah, being on the more "low key" aspect of public worship and music I would find "Gospel chops" pretty distracting and over the top in settings I have experienced. In those I have seen in media, even there, it seems that type of drumming is rather self-directed, kind of like a guitarist or organist doing little but scales and runs playing a melody to lead singers by.

If the purpose of the gospel is to uplift and focus on Christ, and "He must increase, but I must decrease," etc., such drumming seems the antithesis of that principle in a congregational setting.

Indeed, I feel for Eric Moore. The guy's going to have a heart attack or stroke and die before his time. His heart would have a tough enough task of dealing with all that weight on his frame, let alone the stress of drumming, as he does.

10What is a Church Drummer? Empty Re: What is a Church Drummer? Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:40 am

spanky

spanky

Asaph wrote:Yeah, being on the more "low key" aspect of public worship and music I would find "Gospel chops" pretty distracting and over the top in settings I have experienced. In those I have seen in media, even there, it seems that type of drumming is rather self-directed, kind of like a guitarist or organist doing little but scales and runs playing a melody to lead singers by.

If the purpose of the gospel is to uplift and focus on Christ, and "He must increase, but I must decrease," etc., such drumming seems the antithesis of that principle in a congregational setting.

Indeed, I feel for Eric Moore. The guy's going to have a heart attack or stroke and die before his time. His heart would have a tough enough task of dealing with all that weight on his frame, let alone the stress of drumming, as he does.
Gospel chop drumming is normal in modern black churches all over America. It is has gone into the modern white churches as well with white gospel chop drummers. It's a new day Asaph things change. My church which has one of the largest memberships in Philadelphia, loves that type of drumming. My church is not known for traditional Gospel, it is known for modern R&B & Funk type Gospel and chop drumming on certain tunes drives it. Chop drumming is here to stay like it or not.
And Erick Moore is a fantastic chop drummer.

11What is a Church Drummer? Empty Re: What is a Church Drummer? Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:15 pm

Asaph

Asaph

Yes, there's a lot of things in this world here to stay.

12What is a Church Drummer? Empty Re: What is a Church Drummer? Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:43 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Yes, praise and worship sould always be directed toward our Lord.
On the other hand, some of these somber, subdued acts of worship
are more akin to funerals. Psalms 100: 1-5 says:

Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands. Serve the LORD with
gladness: come before his presence with singing. Know ye that the
LORD he is God:

It is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people,
and the sheep of his pasture. Enter into his gates with thanksgiving,
and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.
For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to
all generations.

David praised and worshipped with so much joy that he danced right out
of his clothes.

But yes, HE should be the focus and not the super slick drumming tricks.

13What is a Church Drummer? Empty Re: What is a Church Drummer? Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:26 pm

Asaph

Asaph

Hab_2:20 But the LORD is in his holy temple: let all the earth keep silence before him.

I suppose the act of public worship fits somewhere in between these two principles for everyone, and like finds like to fellowship in the light with.

14What is a Church Drummer? Empty Re: What is a Church Drummer? Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:39 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

There is a time to proclaim, and there is
a time to be still and know that he is God.

15What is a Church Drummer? Empty Re: What is a Church Drummer? Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:11 pm

kenny

kenny

i find this kind of ecstatic drumming great to listen to. makes perfect sense this kind of music would make people feel good and to be happy. I get that feeling from good high energy music. it's simple science, blood gets flowing more oxygen naturally makes our mood better. Don't want to over think it, just feel it.
That's how the mahavishnu orchestra felt for me, like the energy of noonward race makes me feel alive. i think the church label is misleading in a way. Sounds like some good funk to me. what do i know? maybe I'll start a thread on synagogue drumming. farao <---bad guy

http://www.balkanmusic.org

16What is a Church Drummer? Empty Re: What is a Church Drummer? Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:08 pm

spanky

spanky

Sing to Him a new song; Play skillfully with a shout of joy." Psalm 33:3

17What is a Church Drummer? Empty Re: What is a Church Drummer? Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:06 pm

Asaph

Asaph

LOL. I confess I have no idea what kind of music is played in a synagogue. Or is it just all vocals?

I do happen to like Messianic music, though. Paul Wilbur. Stuff like that.

I don't think the above music is "church" music, if I understood correctly, but the drumming is the same kind of thing.

18What is a Church Drummer? Empty Re: What is a Church Drummer? Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:39 pm

rarebit

Seems like everyone these days is doing the gospel chops thing. It's cool and all but it's getting tired. I like Gospel music a lot (even without drums), but then again I also like 80's speed metal, Justin Beiber, hardcore rap, Bee Gees, 70's classic rock.. so you may discard my opinion.

19What is a Church Drummer? Empty Re: What is a Church Drummer? Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:42 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Okay, rare..... Our friendship just ended when
You said Justin Bieber. Add that via "Dirty Loops,
and wer're cool again.

lol!

Asaph, that is correct about the last clip in this
thread. The basic make up modern day gospel
drumming as I see it is really just hip-hop beats
and fills on steroids.

20What is a Church Drummer? Empty Re: What is a Church Drummer? Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:18 pm

rarebit

D. Slam wrote:Okay, rare..... Our friendship just ended when
You said Justin Bieber. Add that via "Dirty Loops,
and wer're cool again.

lol!

lol!

My girl was a little curious as to how I knew all the words to that Justin Bieber song on the radio the other day.

Don't question my identity! lol!

21What is a Church Drummer? Empty Re: What is a Church Drummer? Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:26 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

There is no doubt that this boy
can play the drums. He's got
a fine groove. Of course, he's
displaying way too much chops
for the music but that is just my
opinion. I think his goal, in this
video, is to show us that he
has both and he succeeds.

It's true that many players,
today, have this sound. It
makes it hard to identify one
from the other, as a result.

The modern challenge.

I play in a church. I think of
myself as a rehearsal and
studio drummer in that I have
to get a product quickly and
relate to players and new
situations. At the same time,
I place the relations at a
higher priority. Of course, I
am aware of what is basically
required technically but my
purpose is to contribute to
something else.

Regards,

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

22What is a Church Drummer? Empty Re: What is a Church Drummer? Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:44 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Yes, Pete,

And this is how it always is. You always hear
Eric burning down the house... There's never
any kind of blending. Attention is always being
diverted to HIM. The stuff is great but cmon!

This is the same issue I take with Tony Royster.
Everytime you see and hear him it's a look at me
situation. Allow me to notice you because you
don't speak so loudly!

It amazes me how many experienced players get
caught up in this sort of thing.

Something you might not Know. Eric is a local,
right here from stocton California. I've met him
a few times... Nice kid actually. I had another
drummer friend of mine that told me he took
eric to one of his gigs and let him sit in on a
couple of tunes and it just wasn't happening.
He wasn't able to put 2 & 4 on the floor and
make it gel. Now in Eric's defense this was
some years ago but after he'd won the local
Guitar Center drum off. He was ripping then
also. I know because I was one of the judges
for 3 years running.

23What is a Church Drummer? Empty Re: What is a Church Drummer? Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:46 pm

spanky

spanky

Asaph this pure chop drumming, the kind that I see in the Philadelphia churches from the young drummers.

24What is a Church Drummer? Empty Re: What is a Church Drummer? Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:10 pm

Asaph

Asaph

Yes, I've seen those. Interesting it is called Chop Drumming, because it does seem a very choppy style of whacks all over the place.

25What is a Church Drummer? Empty Re: What is a Church Drummer? Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:37 pm

Asaph

Asaph

I just watched 30 minutes of various gospel chops drumming on youtube.

There is little doubt any of these players are terrific chops meisters. The speeds are on the Bonneville Salt Flats. But after awhile I must confess all I heard was muted drums, a billion notes, and I could never tell one drummer from another if I closed my eyes.

I have a headache, too, which I rarely get listening to drummers do their thing.

Maybe I'm getting old.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum