BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

question

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1question Empty question Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:11 pm

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Has anyone here ever played Van Halen's Hot for Teacher ?

Your thoughts on the difficulty.

2question Empty Re: question Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:51 pm

Suss

Suss

With that ubiquitous shuffle between two kicks, and those jazzed 16th note cymbal licks in "CUT TIME," I'd leave this song for you younger guys.

Actually (and musically speaking from a drummers perspective), it's about "togetherness" when hands and feet come together. The song is not difficult at all - just up tempo requiring a bunch of stamina. The groove is already there; albeit much different from idioms other than "rock" or fusions thereof. It's reminiscent of Boomer's spectrum that is much slower.

I'd still rather see you guys play it though! It's not my thing, but I appreciate the music and energy.

Very Happy

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnsussewell  http://www.facebook.co

3question Empty Re: question Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:08 pm

Suss

Suss

Thematically, and taken as a whole, this song caused me to smile; while all the while thinking what its like for young folks these days going to school. It's a frenzied environment where there are more gadgets than education. I remember when I was in high school and college, a calculator was not allowed when even interpolating mathematical solutions. The teacher/professor wanted to see how the word problem was being worked out, instead of merely arriving at a simple answer. It's totally different these days, unless both the teacher requires seeing the thought process toward "proof," and the student demonstrates it by steps taken to arrive at it.

My personal friend [Kenneth Augustus Morris; a chemist, poet, lyricist, producer on more musical stuff that can be named], reduces this challenges by his own words. He was thinking about the same thing I was when considering that accessibility these days does not mean "accomplishing" anything. It's our integrity and investment in the process toward the ends we pursue.

Death of the Arts
It started innocently enough.
The schools ceased to instruct students in how to write in script.
Then, the need for capitalization, grammar and sentence structure became easy victims.
Next, expression in prose and poetry was deemed to be a frivolous pursuit.
In quick sequence, acquiring skills in adding, subtracting, dividing and multiplying became unnecessary with the use of calculators.

The next field of battle was music.
Melodic, harmonious and orchestral draperies were declared overstatements.
Original creative themes ceased to exist.
Computerized sampling became established as the base and foundation of music composition.
Vocal expression, pictorial depiction and many other forms of artistry also fell victim before the jaded senses of audiences.
The circle continued with similar twists and turns until man’s brain was left with nothing to do but wither and die from the lack of stimulation that activity used to provide!

Yet I'm sure you already know this Dave. I just wanted to remind myself of that we all should do with ourselves.

Keep sticking my friend! It's good to hook up with 'ya again, and I hope my opinion matters.

Arrow

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnsussewell  http://www.facebook.co

4question Empty Re: question Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:44 pm

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Thanks Suss! Of course it does!! Very Happy

5question Empty Re: question Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:00 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

As a double bass player and one who
has played a style very similar to this
at about this tempo, I agree with Suss.