BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Bill Withers Story TV Docu

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Bill Withers Story    TV  Docu Empty The Bill Withers Story TV Docu Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:27 am

Colin

Colin

Shown in USA on Showtime (made in 2009)

Its was on BBC4TV (UK)

He is 70, at the time of this docu,
and has a studio in his home
from making Toilets for 747 to getting hit records.
Making 3 dollars a hour to a Gold Record Deal.

Great clips showing Legendary James Gadson
on Drums.

On his 1978 LP still not out on CD
there is is a photo of his wife Marcia
she is still with Bill.

His Early Record Deal
the Company had the IRS in and they took all tapes
then he moved to Safer Columbia.

You get the feeling he could do a Gig
but under his terms.

Bill Withers is the Real Deal.

The Late Ralph MacDonald is on there.

Outtasight
Colin.

2The Bill Withers Story    TV  Docu Empty Re: The Bill Withers Story TV Docu Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:54 pm

Suss

Suss

Great post Colin.

As you know, I worked with Bill Withers during a very troubled period of his life and separation (ultimately divorce) from Denise Nichols (the actress). He and I flew from NYC to Los Angeles, and took a vehicle to his home on Benedict Canyon Road (where I stayed for only one night before checking into a hotel the next day).

Everyone, other than James Gadsen was playing that night in that studio behind his house. The rehearsals were routine, because Bill's music is rather simple in a beautiful way. He only got to know me through my touring with Donny Hathaway where the music was a bit more complex and demanding.

I often think of Bill until today - and have resigned myself to stop trying to contact him. He's well sheltered behind his management company and others... there's really no point for me to do otherwise than just have best regards for him and his successes.

Even though I only worked with him for about three months between Los Angeles and the mid-west (USA), and before his personal life just caused him to take a break, I can say that I fully enjoyed playing with him. Stevie Wonder actually showed up one night in Los Angeles and sat in. That was quite an evening for everyone at the Troubadour, LA.

Suffice it to say... I miss Bill's Kentucky based folk music and interpretation that only he has done. As for the music industry? Well... the beat goes on.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnsussewell  http://www.facebook.co

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum