BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bill Bruford Retires

+4
D. Slam
fusionfunk
Admin (Pete)
drumman
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bill Bruford Retires Empty Bill Bruford Retires Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:40 pm

drumman

From the Bill Bruford web site:

Bill retires from public performance
Posted by Sid: Monday, 26th January,2009

After 41 years of moving the percussive pulse in music and raising people's pulses in general, Bill Bruford has announced his retirement from public performance, effective from January 1st 2009.

2Bill Bruford Retires Empty Re: Bill Bruford Retires Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:27 am

Colin

Colin

He spent many years hitting hard Electric Pads
but at least he is still going to to Studio work.

Outtasight
Colin.

3Bill Bruford Retires Empty Re: Bill Bruford Retires Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:55 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

I've done a lot of studio work and a lot of public performances... I love them both but for me there's nothing like performing before a live audience. It's the ultimate musical experience as far as I'm concerned.

Bill must've had some pretty unpleasent experiences. Surprised

D.

4Bill Bruford Retires Empty Re: Bill Bruford Retires Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:48 pm

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

I have always loved Bill's playing
and acknowledge him as a real
influence and especially, when he
was with Yes.

One of the best kicks, too!!

Regards,

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

5Bill Bruford Retires Empty Re: Bill Bruford Retires Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:43 pm

fusionfunk

fusionfunk

D. Slam wrote:I've done a lot of studio work and a lot of public performances... I love them both but for me there's nothing like performing before a live audience. It's the ultimate musical experience as far as I'm concerned.

D.

I'm with you Don. My feelings exactly!

Russ

6Bill Bruford Retires Empty Re: Bill Bruford Retires Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:17 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Yeah, Fusion, He needs a middle pedal to get back on the live performance track! Very Happy

7Bill Bruford Retires Empty Re: Bill Bruford Retires Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:12 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

I need a middle pedal. Anyone got a used one to sell cheap? Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

8Bill Bruford Retires Empty Re: Bill Bruford Retires Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:18 am

fusionfunk

fusionfunk

I do believe the middle pedal is the answer to the problem! lol!

Ted, you might be able to retro-fit an existing double pedal for fairly cheap. Any machine shop could make you a new shaft that has the extension for another slave. Then just get the "lefty" slave and presto....... middle pedal!

9Bill Bruford Retires Empty Re: Bill Bruford Retires Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:07 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

fusionfunk wrote:I do believe the middle pedal is the answer to the problem! lol!

Ted, you might be able to retro-fit an existing double pedal for fairly cheap. Any machine shop could make you a new shaft that has the extension for another slave. Then just get the "lefty" slave and presto....... middle pedal!

Yeah, Fusion, but you have a short shaft... No offense... lol!

But on a serious note, what I like about your pedal setup is the shafts are short. This looks like a really cool deal. I really need to look into this.

D.

10Bill Bruford Retires Empty Re: Bill Bruford Retires Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:11 am

fusionfunk

fusionfunk

D. Slam wrote:
fusionfunk wrote:I do believe the middle pedal is the answer to the problem! lol!

Yeah, Fusion, but you have a short shaft... No offense... lol!

But on a serious note, what I like about your pedal setup is the shafts are short. This looks like a really cool deal. I really need to look into this.

D.

No offense taken, Don. Very Happy

You can shorten your shafts with a few basic tools, in no time at all. Just don't ask a Rabbi to do it! lol!

I really think you'd enjoy a middle pedal Don. Too bad we live on opposite sides of the country, or you could try mine out. If you ever get to PA on one of your band tours, let me know, and we'll get together.

Russ

11Bill Bruford Retires Empty Re: Bill Bruford Retires Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:44 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Thanks, Russ,

There is a strong possibility I could be out your way next month sometime. I'll keep you posted.

D.

12Bill Bruford Retires Empty Re: Bill Bruford Retires Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:37 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Interesting idea Russ. maybe I should just buy another double pedal and marry it to my existing one with that shaft. I will have to think it through. Thanks. Peace, TED

http://www.drumminfool.com

13Bill Bruford Retires Empty Re: Bill Bruford Retires Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:24 pm

Colin

Colin

D. Slam wrote:I've done a lot of studio work and a lot of public performances... I love them both but for me there's nothing like performing before a live audience. It's the ultimate musical experience as far as I'm concerned.

D.

You do know for many years Bill was playing real hard electric pads
do you think that could be part of the reason?

Outtasight
Colin.

14Bill Bruford Retires Empty Re: Bill Bruford Retires Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:43 pm

boomer

I would not be surprised as that surface is very unforgiving. Boomer Sad

15Bill Bruford Retires Empty Re: Bill Bruford Retires Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:26 pm

Suss

Suss

My respect is for the man: BB. Yet my question is how does one retire from what is clearly a passion and mission? When I first heard Yes, I was amazed by the mere fusion in the songs and the mastery in the mixes. Whether that was the intent (manipulated or monetary) is not important. The results speak for themselves.

Though I really like the ability for midi kits to emulate anything and anywhere, the "unforgiveness" of the tactile response is what I know for myself since first deploying these surfaces on commercial release sinces '88. Though I can wrap my head around the technology (seven times), my
heart
is not there when compared to playing an acoustic kit all the time and only using e-kits as an avenue for more colors. That, in my view, is where they (e-kits/surfaces) are useful. For me, they are not musical from a drummer's perspective and within what I believe music is about from a creative/dynamic standpoint. Yet e-kits are valuable and convenient [I don't wish to get into who uses what and for what reasons - only seeking to reinforce from previous Boomer forums and conversation threads that unless one can play the instrument as defined (and that acoustically), there are no imitations or short-cuts].

Somehow I have a feeling all BB needs his time away - by God's Grace he'll be back.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnsussewell  http://www.facebook.co

16Bill Bruford Retires Empty Re: Bill Bruford Retires Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:24 am

boomer

Well said John. Boomer

17Bill Bruford Retires Empty Re: Bill Bruford Retires Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:21 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

Colin wrote:

Bill must've had some pretty unpleasant experiences. Surprised

D.

Outtasight
Colin.

Colin,

I am currently being worked on by a therapist that specializes in bones and joints. Not that I've noticed any problems... But in checking me out she said my shoulders, wrists and elbows were out of alignment. She told me and showed me how and where, and she also pointed out that my left arm was considerably more affected than my right in this regard. No doubt this is from the constant and fairly forceful strokes on the snare drum.

Any way you look at it, the swinging and then the sudden stopping-impact where stick meets drum head is bad enough. I can only imagine the damage that must accumulate from years of pounding on hard, unforgivable, condensed, rubber pads that has virtually no give... It's gotta be tough on the joints, and it's gotta hurt. Razz

D.

18Bill Bruford Retires Empty Re: Bill Bruford Retires Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:08 pm

boomer

cheers I'm glad somebody's listening out there!

19Bill Bruford Retires Empty Re: Bill Bruford Retires Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:22 pm

Suss

Suss

boomer wrote:cheers I'm glad somebody's listening out there!

As you ought to be Billy... which brings me to whom I still believe is among my friends. cheers

Don,

I'm sorry to hear about the alignment issues - but glad that you are checking in and up on yourself. Our bodies can take a lot of stress, but worse for the wear over the long term if not paying attention. Neglect also affects our mind, motivation and attitude as well. Originally, I thought you were harping on "retirement" meaning that BB just gave up - as attributed to
"unpleasant experiences."

Colin wrote:

D.

Outtasight
Colin.

But now I notice this comment has been deleted for some reason, except for Colin's insertion. Had it not been for Colin's insertion, I could not refer back to it as I remembered.

So is history. Unless we pay attention to it among relationships, we are destined to repeat it and our negligent mistakes. I love you as a Brother Don... never forget that. I miss our conversations by phone between two "alpha" personalities. You are a great drummer and person whom I've come to know over the last seven years via Billy's forums and our phone conversations. I have yet to see you face to face; yet you enjoy what I employ at my musical hands. Why the silence and obvious neglect? I apologized for my seemingly innocent comment by phone that offended you. Since last Fall I've attempted to reinforce my contrition by emails, etc. Yet you still remain silent. I've done my duty Sir... do yours more in phileo love rather than a seeming challenge in your mind. We both have enough challenges as there are for anyone. Look at a "glass half full; rather than half empty Nephew." None of us are perfect. I apologize again for whatever offense I unknowingly committed against your pysche... this time publicly among the Elders of Our Community With Skin (and before the True Elders mitigate their FINAL judgment which only One can sentence): Matthew 18:15-20. The healing is found in testimony; and that with veracity/truth. I have tried to do this privately - now it is public: James 5:16. These are well founded principles in life Nephew. Do not be ashamed of them. They direct the course of mankind well beyond what the common eye can see, ear hear or even entering into our limited human hearts' ability to embrace. In fact, these Principles have directed the course of Mankind since the Genesis- only one Man failed to listen AND obey (not the First Woman). Yeah man... this is deep for anyone; I hardly have the energy to type in persistence. What I will say is that the opposite of shame (as Adam displayed) is now pride (as men today display). Sow to the wind (?): Reap the whirlwind. My entire adult and public life speaks to this reality. I am not ashamed of it as you sought me to be by your private email responses and lack of brotherly comfort.

Even now, I must apologize again for those reading this. Over the years Don and I have grown to respect and love each other in spite of forum feuds. I cannot speak for him (and won't), but from my perspective I see a person with so much potential AND kinetic energy. In other words, this man has the goods and the gregariousness. He is among the only few that I identify with musically/percussively on this site. The rest know who you are. All I can (or will) say at this point is that I make it plain and simple. The synergy is lost with Suss unless Slam comes back into fray. This time without bashing but with bounty. Hey Neph! Forget my 'booty" that you saw in the VHS when Billy was last here in ATL during the JID tour "2003!" I don't play that; and neither do you. I just happened to have fallen upon tough times in my life relationally with a woman I loved and with a view toward recovering from it. I will only state this once again: forgive me for my idle comment by phone last Fall, 2008.

But now I shift gears with drum sticks in my hand...

Thanks Boomer for pioneering a whole new vista behind the drum kit (at least for me). IMHO, drummers drive the rhythm more than any instrument, including the piano. True: a true creative pianist has both melodics and rhythm - but then our nature abhors a vacuum: hence the Drummer with that rhythm in any genre of music. Somehow both wind up playing their percussive roles. It is well known that I'm a frustrated keyboardist. I gave this instrument up at the age of 12 after 8 years of study by my Mother's force feeding me. Yet in her love and nurturing, it never left me. I honor her in this regard. Yet none of us are perfect. Arrow

I think that with recent advancements in technology (as fast as they have occurred and continue to), the populace is rather slow when keeping up with them. Sadly, the same is with our global society. While global economies these days are abyssed to a depth anyone can fathom from personal experience, there are more meaningful thoughts among artists to consider. Such considerations have been a challenge for me personally - and I make them public for now. Do the same yourself - since in self-discovery a person can find more answers than there are questions waiting to be asked. Hence by my own hands and yet to be completed. This is why I sense Bill Bruford is not over yet, and likely for different reasons in living than from my small perspective. I'm providing a keyboard template here. Work with me and us for the next quarter hour.

The nuclear Guys here will remember me asking a few years ago what the best & affordable e-kit might be available at the time. Dumb question on my part.

How does one strike that balance between "best" and "affordable?" After weighing my options at the time, I chose to stick to the proven: an acoustic instrument. If a trigger pad was not available for additonal color, then bridge the gap by an additional technique. The results may not sound like expected, but the sticking and sound will wind up beneficial down our musical/artful road: meaning that when investigating the possibilites, we wind up with more than what we thought. A perfect example is my use of cymbals with the "washing" sound. That was quite by accident during a solo practice session on my own back in the late 60s when I didn't have what I heard in my head. I became intrigued by the sound and believe myself to be the first one to record it on a commercial release back in the mid 70s. Even then when some band/studio mates said they hated it, somehow it has its' role in the music we all put our hands to. That sound is merely a bridge and NOT the destination. That sound plays its' role as a part in our corporate participation in process/progress.

All to often I hear folks saying "I've not done what you've done and I'm not "this, that or the other thing." PLEASE... from what I hear coming from this very small community of "EARS" should ripple the effect onto someone else with the right encouragement. Please guys... understand the motivation, even when very few seem misunderstood.

Again: my thinking is that Bill Bruford only needs some time away from the regimen he's been brought to by the music industry as we've come to know it. May he eventually say "Yes" to music, and "No" to retirement. He still has quite a bit in him to offer.

So do we All with the right attitude.

Keep Stickin'

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnsussewell  http://www.facebook.co

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum