BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

The amazing world of the drum set.

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The amazing world of the drum set. Empty The amazing world of the drum set. Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:14 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

In reflecting on the the upcoming project with Hank Corvinus and Conrad Johnson and the setup that I'll be using in this configuration, It got me really thinking about all the different setup and enhancment options that are available with the drumset. Most other instruments are built in such a way that there is a set way that you play them, what you buy is basically what you get and there is no changing it. The drum set? It's a musical tool that is an erector set of possibilties.

I think this is a wonderful thing being how even the slightest change will cause you to approach what you do, even in the most minute way. Just adding or taking away one cymbal or one drum will noticeably change the way one preceives and approaches the kit as a whole, not to mention doing some things a bit more drastic such as switching some drums around or even setting up completely opposite than you're acustomed to. The configuration possibilities can go as far as the imagination itself.

With this band, I will be using an eight piece drumkit and the setup will be as follows:

From Left to right: (Players perspective)

Toms: 16" floor, 14" floor, 12" rack, 10" rack, 8" rack.

Bass drums: 2 18X22's

Snare: 5.5X14 (This will vary)

Cymbals: Not sure what the configuration on these will be yet but I will use 6 at the very least

Hi hat: This will be set up on my right side with the pedal on my left via an 8ft. cable. (I will play open hand).

Electronics: Roland TD-6 with three pads and a KAT foot pad just to the right of the right bass drum pedal.

I am looking to take my playing to a place I haven't been in over 20 years. That along with what I've learned as a player since, this should be a lot of fun. I'll let you know how this upcoming weekend session goes.

Slam.

Last edited by on Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:18 am; edited 3 times in total

2The amazing world of the drum set. Empty Re: The amazing world of the drum set. Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:51 pm

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Go for it Don!!!

That sounds like a breath of fresh air, and I know you'll make any configuration sound great!--

D.L.

3The amazing world of the drum set. Empty Re: The amazing world of the drum set. Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:07 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Daveonskins wrote:Go for it Don!!!

That sounds like a breath of fresh air, and I know you'll make any configuration sound great!--

D.L.

D.L. It will definately be a breath of fresh air for me. Whether or not it actually ends up that way to anyone else, only time will tell. On my end, I can only share the sentiments of Ray Charles:

I'm gonna try and "make it do what it do, Baby".

Billy has really inspired me. I've been watching a lot of youtube clips of him and the man really makes the drums happen not to mention what he does for the music. I want to do something different from what I've been doing lately. My goal is to challenge myself musically and technically. I haven't done that in a very long time and I find myself chomping at the bit as I write this to you...

Thanks for the backing, David, You've never been anything less than a presents of positive, uplifting, support for me. Soon I will email you some pictures of the brand new kit That I received just for this project.

Slam.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum