BC's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BC's

Billy's Substitute WTJ Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

RTF show last night in San Francisco.

+3
Daveonskins
Admin (Pete)
Woody
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1RTF show last night in San Francisco. Empty RTF show last night in San Francisco. Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:22 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Hey guys,

This little report is via a guitar player friend of mine (Oliver Harris) who saw them last night in the city.

He said they were great! They played well. Oliver said that the downside was probably being that it was all old material From 30 years ago, It lacked that spark of freshness. His initial impression was that they were a bit bored and they just want to get this chapter done and start writing some new material...

But again, he said everyone was on, the show was tight and they made it do what it do.

Good for them!

D.

Colin

Colin

Yes good review
We are talking about tracks from 72-81
so they are not like todays music.
And for me that is a good thing.

They will change the set as they tour
feedback will be watched.

It is great that all 4 are able to tour
as working musicians
they are at a high level.

Outtasight
Colin.

Woody

Woody

It must be pretty bad if you can't show enough enthusiasm to perform your songs, even if they are 30 years old.
I wouldn't want to pay to see a band give a lackluster performance, esp. being the caliber of musicians that they are.
They should be at the top of their game and show the audience such.
Sounded like they were just going through the motions.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/robertwoodbury

D. Slam

D. Slam

Well, Woody, according to Oliver, they weren't doing back flips but I do want to stress again that he said they sounded great. In my experience, many of these jazz and fusion artists are like that. When I went to see Dave Weckl, he looked totally disenchanted behind the drums but he was taking no prisoners. This can also be said for the rest of his band members. I would sit there and ask myself how these guys can play such moving, emotinal, music while making you wonder if they're still breathing?! These guys play these very involved and intricate pieces in their sleep and I think it's a thing where like anything else, it simply becomes old hat to them.

But I do want to inject this... There is definately a huge difference in the audience enjoyment level when the performers look like they're having a good time. I absolutely love watching Billy and George Duke work together. There's a bunch of laughing, smiling and happy chatter going on and it just makes for a better show.

When I went to see Jazz Is Dead a few years back. Billy looked to be on auto pilot. There was very little communication or interaction between he and the rest of the players.... At least from where I sat. BUT!!!! I do want to stress that Billy played his *ss off.

I love it when Dean Brown is with Billy because he is not only a pleasure to listen to, but also a whole lotta fun to watch. He gets very animated and he allows the music to move him and the audience can see this and they just eat it up. Jazz artists are always talking about the music this and the music that. But I honestly think they should pay a bit more attention to their stone faces that many of them bring on stage with them.

Randy Brecker is another one... Killer player but his body language and facial expressions on stage leaves you with the feeling that he'd rather be somewhere else, and sometimes that may be the case. But as a performer, I'm begining to understand that whatever genre we choose to perform from we should be a bit more concsious of the signals we send to the members of those we perform for. Actually, this is something that Audrey would always point out to me about myself.

I don't know.... In jazz, maybe it's "cool like dat" to be distant.

My two cents, Woodman.

Don.

Admin (Pete)

Admin (Pete)
Admin

Guys,

My understanding is that
Lenny is injured (shoulder -
rotator-cuff). He's playing
with pain.

Regards,

https://bcwtj.forumotion.com

Daveonskins

Daveonskins

Lenny has an inpinged nerve somewhere in his spinal cord/neck.
Has trouble wth strength in his hand.

I have had an inpinged nerve before- it is crippling to an extent. especially if your playing drums.

D.L.

Woody

Woody

Right on, Don.
When I go to a show I want to see a show.
If I just want to listen to the music I'll buy the CD.
They should try to at least act like they're having fun..... Rolling Eyes

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

Here's another opinion about those shows from a good musician.

Return to Forever Comes to the Grand at the Regency Center
by E. "Doc" Smith‚ Jun. 13‚ 2008

Previously, I'd written that I'd seen my first concert with jazz pianist Chick Corea some thirty years ago, with his now legendary group, Return to Forever. Considered one of the greatest fusion bands of all time, that incarnation featured the famed bassist Stanley Clarke, drummer Lenny White and guitarist Bill Connors. If my mind hadn't already been blown, it surely was after seeing the next RTF line-up following Connor's departure and the debut of a young guitarist named Al DiMeola. For three amazing nights in a row and only a few blocks from my childhood home, I sat in awe of this groundbreaking new music that would ultimately become known as "jazz-fusion". Now, some 25 years later, Return to Forever has reunited and performed for two extraordinary and captivating nights at the Grand on Van Ness and Sutter.

Miles Davis’ electric bands in the late ‘60s, featured on such classic albums as "In a Silent Way" and "Bitches Brew", served as an "incubator" for several pioneering jazz fusion bands, including Tony Williams’ Lifetime, Herbie Hancock’s Headhunters, John McLaughlin’s Mahavishnu Orchestra, Joe Zawinul and Wayne Shorter’s Weather Report and Chick Corea’s legendary Return to Forever, whose lifespan stretched from 1972 to 1977 with three different versions of the band.

After a touring absence of more than 25 years, the potent jazz-rock flagship quartet edition of Return to Forever returned for a world tour in 2008. This highly anticipated reunion sees the group’s classic lineup—Corea on keyboards, Al Di Meola on guitar, Stanley Clarke on bass and Lenny White on drums—embark on an expansive summer tour with dates in Europe and the United States.

After Corea left Miles’ employ, he helped found the avant-garde acoustic quartet Circle with saxophonist Anthony Braxton, bassist Dave Holland and drummer Barry Altschul. The band worked from 1970-’71, but Corea sought a new, less-esoteric direction where he could express his music to larger audiences—in a band committed to communicating the purity of sound, the challenge of improvising on complex compositions and the exploration of melding the jazz tradition with rock music. The time was ripe for what followed.

Return to Forever launched in 1972 with its self-titled debut featuring a quintet that Corea assembled, comprising Joe Farrell on flute and saxophone, Airto Moreira on drums and percussion, Flora Purim on vocals, and Stanley Clarke on bass—the only RTF member who served in all three editions of the band. With a Brazilian tinge imbued in the fusion, the first album featured such noteworthy tracks as “Sometime Ago,” “Crystal Silence” and “La Fiesta.” Later that year, the same RTF lineup delivered its follow-up, Light As a Feather, renowned as one of the band’s best recordings. Tunes included such Corea classics as “Spain,” “500 Miles High” and “Captain Marvel.”

In 1973, when Airto and Flora left RTF to start their own band and Farrell also took his leave, Corea enlisted a new lineup to explore a harder-edged rock-jazz fusion. The electric guitar was added, and placed front and center along with Corea on electric keyboards. The guitarist for the first of the four quartet albums, Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy (1973), was Bill Connors, who soon left the band to pursue his solo career. He was replaced in 1974 by 19-year-old, fresh-from-college, hard-rocking Al Di Meola, who cut his eyeteeth in the band. He was featured on the remaining three quartet albums and proved to be an integral member of the band.

While drummer Steve Gadd was originally pegged to be in RTF, he opted out because he was unwilling to tour, and was replaced by funk-fueled Lenny White, who Corea knew from the Bitches Brew sessions. Clarke remained the bassist, developing during this time his singular electric bass style. This lineup is considered to be the golden RTF group, which recorded three popular crossover albums: 1974’s Where Have I Known You Before (Di Meola’s debut), 1975’s Grammy-winning No Mystery and 1976’s studio finale, Romantic Warrior, which became the best selling of all RTF recordings.

For the third and final version of RTF, Clarke remained, Farrell returned, and drummer Gerry Brown and vocalist Gayle Moran were enlisted. In addition, Corea brought aboard a four-piece brass section. That group recorded the 1977 Music Magic album and toured throughout the year, documented by the album R.T.F. Live. It was the end for RTF in 1977, but the group was resurrected for a quartet concert in 1983 with saxophonist Joe Henderson, known as the "Griffith Park Concert".

Tuesday night's show opened slowly and chronologically with the classic "Hymn Of The 7th Galaxy", then moved to "Vulcan Worlds" from the seminal "Where have I Known You Before?" album. Corea's solo piece, "Senor Mouse" was followed by the "Sorceress" from the "Romantic Warrior" and sequed to my favorite RTF tune of all time, "Song To The Pharoah Kings". Other classic tunes followed; "Dayride", "Shadow of Lo" and "Beyond the Seventh Galaxy".

Stanley Clarke was just as you might imagine; the usual monster on his Alembic and acoustic basses, quoting his signature stuff on the stand-up, and his stereo bass rig was just incredible, virtually taking up the middle of the stage. Perhaps my favorite solo was DiMeola playing on his Ovation acoustic guitar with a Roland MIDI pick-up. Gorgeous. Lenny White's drumming was remarkably crisp, even better than when I saw him with Freddie Hubbard a month ago. Chick Corea was well, Chick Corea; a master second to none.

I will say this; I've seen more "reunion shows" than I care to count; too many of them cashing in on forgotten fame and nostalgia. However, as far as Return to Forever is concerned, I have never seen any band, after a 25 year hiatus, get back together and tear it up like they did. They were simply spectacular. I wasn't sure that I wanted Return to Forever to come back again; like an undefeated champion who comes back for one more fight, however they defied the odds, blew my mind, and left with their legacy, and their legend, intact.

E. "Doc" Smith is a musician and recording engineer who has worked with the likes of Brian Eno, Madonna, Warren Zevon, Mickey Hart, Jack DeJohnette, and John Mayall among others. He is also the inventor of the musical instrument, the Drummstick. He can be reached at myspace.com/edoctorsmith

http://www.drumminfool.com

Colin

Colin

Yes Ted
In Depth Review.

I am Pleased that Al
used a Midi on his Acoustic Guitar
because if in 1977 he could have
done that - he would.

Best Words for me
from that Ted are

"I have never seen any band, after a 25 year hiatus,
get back together and tear it up like they did.
They were simply spectacular. "

Outtasight
Colin.

10RTF show last night in San Francisco. Empty Re: RTF show last night in San Francisco. Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:25 am

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

I saw them 6 times as RTF in the 70's and their first reunion in 1983. Plus the big band, plus Griffith Park and at least 3 times each with their solo bands over the years. I've NEVER been disappointed in their performances.

There's no doubt in my mind about the quality of show I will be seeing. My tickets are for the first night in NYC, which is now the next to last show of the tour. August 7th. You can expect my review then.

All I can say is ,there are very few bands playing fusion around. And even fewer that can play at their level. I can't see any reason to miss this tour. Peace, TED

11RTF show last night in San Francisco. Empty Re: RTF show last night in San Francisco. Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:37 am

Colin

Colin

Yes
they are taking the #1 position.

I think they call this Jazz-Rock
more than Fusion.

The Only other Band from that era and same area of music
is the Mahavishnu Orchestra - Original Band.

And after this RTF tour
they may know it can be worth the effort.

Time will tell.

Outtasight
Colin.

12RTF show last night in San Francisco. Empty Re: RTF show last night in San Francisco. Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:49 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Each of these four are among my musical heros and each have inspired and influenced me in some musical fashion along the way. I want nothing but success for whatever it is they are doing as a band or as individuals doing their own projects.

There is one thing though that I will not allow to happen no matter who is on stage, and that is allowing what I call the "emperor's new clothes" syndrome to creep in and allow me to become bias just because it's Return to forever. I was a huge fan of the Electric Band when they first came out. I saw them perform three times and each time they simply killed it! When they reunited a couple of years ago, Audrey and I went to see them and they nearly put us to sleep. If I were to see RTF and they played well I'd be among the first you guys would hear it from. And if they sucked rest assured you would hear that from me also...

Sounds like they're tearin down the house and having a grand ol' time, and for that I couldn't be happier. I wish them nothing but continued success and I hope Leeny feels better.

Don.

P.S. Hey, Woodman, Is that avatar a picture of your kit btw?

13RTF show last night in San Francisco. Empty Re: RTF show last night in San Francisco. Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:20 pm

Ted E. Bear

Ted E. Bear

If they suck when I see them, I will also let you guys know that ! I have a copy of the first night's concert on audio and frankly it sounds a little rusty, playing -wise. Then again I know they had exactly 4 days of rehearsals for it. I expect that to change as they get used to playing together again. wE shall see. Peace, TED

14RTF show last night in San Francisco. Empty Re: RTF show last night in San Francisco. Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:42 pm

Woody

Woody

It is the kit I rehearse on, Don.
It belongs to our bass player, Tyrone, who is also a frustrated drummer.
It is a Yamaha Maple Custom.
It also has the other mounted tom, which isn't set up on the kit.
It is in mint condition and he takes good care of his equipment.
It makes it very nice to just show up to rehearsal and take the sheet off of the drums and play, not having to set up my own set.
I like that.........

15RTF show last night in San Francisco. Empty Re: RTF show last night in San Francisco. Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:50 am

D. Slam

D. Slam

Nice kit, Woody... I will download quicktime and listen to your sound byte in the drummers bytes section.

16RTF show last night in San Francisco. Empty Re: RTF show last night in San Francisco. Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:08 pm

boomer

There is something to be said regarding body language and the synchronization of the notes............... How you express yourself sonically and visually defines the end result.
boomer Arrow

17RTF show last night in San Francisco. Empty Re: RTF show last night in San Francisco. Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:40 pm

D. Slam

D. Slam

Thanks, Billy...

At the same time I also realize (for me anyway) that it's quite difficult to fake the fun... I find it a real challenge to try and smile when we're wer'e up there sucking eggs. Some do it better than others and it's certainly an area I need to work on.

Btw, everyone... My friend, Oliver said Lenny played fine. If there was anything wrong with his arm or shoulder, he couldn't see it.

Let us know what it be like, Ted after you see their show.

D.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum